Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2007, 12:58 PM
huntercam

Default Marine mechanics?

is it possilble to break in a 115 optimax using a snorkle can you run it at high revs with one of these things 5 hours at max 3/4 throddle then wide open for max 3 minutes sound like a pain in the a## any one know the answer?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:33 PM
sourdough doug

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "snorkle", unless it's the ear muff you hook up to a water hose. However, in most cases to breakin any engine, one has to be able to put it under a load, and unless you had a dyno brake , the only other way of doing this is to have it in the water and do the break-in there. You can dry land run it but you are really only confirming that it will start and shift--IMO.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:43 PM
huntercam

Yes I guess thats what I mean ear muff and never thought about the under load part of it so I goess I will just have to wait need some frickin warm weather ,,weather like today just is not workin to thaw he lakes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
115 break in

Default 115 break in

If you read in the manual, it recommends that out of the water the motor no be run no faster than an idle with the hose attachment. Take the time and do it right you, part of the breakin in driving under load. That means driving around, trimmed down ploughing water. You have lots of money invested there and you have a nice motor do it right.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:36 PM
huntercam

Default Re: 115 break in

Thanks Diesel Dave it was a large investment and you are right it needs to done right and i will be doing it the proper way.

Thanks
Cam