Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-27-2016, 03:07 PM

Default Skinning coyote

Has anybody ever try to skin coyote by using an air compressor. I just seen this on UTube, Seems to work pretty good.

I'll have to try this.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:23 PM

Coyotes will take you less than 5 min to skin after someone shows you a few tricks. Messing around with an air compressor would not be the way to go I don't think. If you need some extra help I can sell you part of a skinning machine. I got the base made to hold the coyote down and all you need is a winch for the top part. I found I was quicker without it.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:47 PM

We tried it on a fox a couple of years ago, blows up like a balloon, brakes some tissues but you still need to skin it like normal

Was cool to try but haven't done it since

Probably best on wolf or animal where there is lots of knife work to skin to help brake some tissues

Going to try the come-a-long /winch method this year
Old 08-27-2016, 07:57 PM

I've done a few that way worked OK. But like Nube says once you get the hang of it you will be way faster on your own
Shane.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 PM

Couple guys have asked how to skin a yote so fast. I really can't explain it but there are certain placed you push and pull more than others and a way to do it. I basically start at the same side and do every one all the same. It starts to be repetitous after a few.
My main point would be use the knife less. I use a hacksaw for the front feet and keep my knife sharp. I don't use a knife much except for the first cuts and then the last around the head. The rest can be pushed or pulled. I use my fist a lot in certain spots to free the skin and my knee as well. The best thing to have as a tool is a winch. You can get a cheap one at Princess Auto. I can move the yote up or down on a gambrel real easy and fast at just the height you need. It beats lifting and tyeing off with a rope and always at the wrong height. Not sure if any of that info helps. I don't consider myself that fast but I would say I average 5 min a yote and a max of 10 min on the old stubborn hide coyotes. The real pro's can do them in under 3 min. I have done them less than 5 but to keep that up all night is impossible and only leads to holes.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys for the advices,
Old 08-27-2016, 08:57 PM

I'm with nube. I use a knife for the back legs and around the vent. A quick slit 3" up to he tail (then use a stripper or my fingers). Hands, knees and fists after that. I cut the front paws off with a different knife than my skinner. I use a long screw driver to pierce the skin between the armpits then pull the hide off the legs. More knees until I reveal the base of the skull. Cut the ears off at the bases then more knee drops until I get to the eyes....knife work around the eyes, muzzle and lips/chin. After that I turn the hide fur side out and pull the cartilage off the ears (knife and pliers). Check out ryan5911 on YouTube for a video tutorial. Take me about 5-8 mins per Yote. A little more time with a fox as their hide seem more delicate and prone to tearing.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:41 PM

I like the winch when I've got lots of coyotes to skin. It takes a little longer but it's easier, especially big tough old coyotes or partially frozen ones. My hands thank me the next day.

If I've only got a few to do and they're fresh I pull them by hand.

I don't cut the front paws off at all, I leave them on the carcass. I cut the hide on the front legs shorter than most though I think. I don't think they need to be that long.

I have one knife for cutting near bone and one for hide only.

And yes I have to remind myself to slow down on the foxes, I've ripped a few.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Like nube said , 5 mins is pretty fast if you can do it steady . I watched my skinner buddy do 6 in under a half hour last winter , that includes hanging and dropping them . he was pretty sweat up after the workout .
Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Banned

Always wanted to try the air compressor just to try it but it's just another thing to do since you have to skin it after anyway.

I used to cut the front paws off until someone showed me a faster way. Like TFNG, I just pull the hide past the front knee with my knife steel in the armpit and just cut the hide around the leg. The hide usually slips right off the front paw but Sometimes if the leg is stiff the hide is hard to get over the front paw. If that happens you just cut the hamstring behind the elbow and it slips right off. Don't ask me why, it just does.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:00 PM

Try a hacksaw on the front legs right after you hang them. It seriously takes 3 strokes and done. I can't cut them with a knife faster than the hacksaw...
Old 08-27-2016, 11:45 PM

HunterDave- I "stretch" the front legs by folding them up when I start which loosens them up. There's less blood that way.

I used to leave too much ear butt on the hide which really slows down removing the cartilage. I've found if I pull the hide farther down the ears there's a sweet spot to cut it where there is just a flap of cartilage left on the ear. I run the sharpening steel through to the tip of the ear and then use my thumb.

Last edited by Tfng; 08-28-2016 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Additional comment.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Gone Hunting

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...skinning.shtml

a buddy of mine did this article.

I take longer as i get older. Hands and fingers don't work as well.
I like to skin as soon as I get them, but I don't trap only call, so mine are warm and easier to skin.
I've gotten in the habit of skinning the head first with the coyote lying on the tailgate. I skin the face and head to the back of the ears. Then hang him by the back legs and continue skinning normally. For some reason it seems to go smoother and easier . I do the same when I cape a deer etc. for a head mount.
I still have to turn ears and lips.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-28-2016, 12:03 AM

Redfrog that's a good article! It's actually the one I followed to skin my first coyote.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Couple guys have asked how to skin a yote so fast. I really can't explain it but there are certain placed you push and pull more than others and a way to do it. I basically start at the same side and do every one all the same. It starts to be repetitous after a few.
My main point would be use the knife less. I use a hacksaw for the front feet and keep my knife sharp. I don't use a knife much except for the first cuts and then the last around the head. The rest can be pushed or pulled. I use my fist a lot in certain spots to free the skin and my knee as well. The best thing to have as a tool is a winch. You can get a cheap one at Princess Auto. I can move the yote up or down on a gambrel real easy and fast at just the height you need. It beats lifting and tyeing off with a rope and always at the wrong height. Not sure if any of that info helps. I don't consider myself that fast but I would say I average 5 min a yote and a max of 10 min on the old stubborn hide coyotes. The real pro's can do them in under 3 min. I have done them less than 5 but to keep that up all night is impossible and only leads to holes.
You should make a youtube video and post it.
5 minutes is an excellent time.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Try a hacksaw on the front legs right after you hang them. It seriously takes 3 strokes and done. I can't cut them with a knife faster than the hacksaw...
Another method is to use lopping shears that are used to trim tree branches.
Works slick.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
They should go watch 209x50's ata rendezvous video, it has the coyote skinning contest on it, justin skinned his coyote in 2 minutes and it took him 10-15 seconds to pick it up and hang it.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:30 PM
Banned

Myself and BigMountainRider tried it last year on a couple dogs.

We found it doesn't work that good, but we could have been doing something wrong.

It would blow up like a balloon, but once you start cutting it didn't make the job any easier.

Looked funny as hell though !
Old 08-28-2016, 09:11 PM

I tried it last year also and had the same results as "JOHN R1"
Old 08-28-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I tried it last year also and had the same results as "JOHN R1"
Same experience...looks nifty but doesn't really assist much.

LC
Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 AM

It's not worth it for coyotes as the skin pulls of pretty easy. I like using air on wolfs though , especially at the front feet as it is sometimes pretty tough getting the skin pulled past them .
Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37cRZqq_j30

This guy has it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdvvJOB32iM

I like this setup.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
That guy sounds like he's gonna have a heart attack ! He obviously doesn't do every dog like that...