Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 PM

Default Busted Ribs

So I was mauled by the neighbours bull.

An escaped Rodeo Bucking Bull in fact, I had him sorted off of my cows and locked into my corrals, I was trying to load him onto my trailer but he jumped over the front of the gator and ran me down and drilled me in the left side, sending me flying through the air. I was able to get away from him without the use of a barrel or any clowns to assist but I've been pretty sore and crippled.
Drug myself to the hospital and they did a CT scan and and found broken ribs but no internal bleeding etc. Thankfully.

How long is this going to be before I am mobile and able to work again?

Don't know if I will be swinging a shotgun this fall.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:54 PM

Its gonna be awhile, like a couple or so month's, been there .
Old 10-13-2018, 07:00 PM

Damn, that's gotta hurt. I cracked a couple, and tore the heck out of the cartilage and muscles when I was in my 20s, and it took two months before I felt 'ok' and another month before I was good. If it happened now, it would probably take 8 or 9 months to heal...

Hope you heal up good, and quick. Rib injuries suck. So, send pictures of the rib steak you made out of that nasty bull!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 PM

While I've never broken / fractured my ribs, I did tear the cartilage between them once when I was younger. For something that doesn't seem that serious, it was a very painful injury that took a long time to heal. I feel for you!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:11 PM

I broke 5 in half, they looked like interlocked fingers when all was said and done, the punctured lung didn’t help but it healed up right away. I went back to work after 2 weeks, dumbest thing ever! It took about 7 months in my case to heal. FWIW, time will be your friend, and vitamin D sure helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 07:14 PM

Ouch! Wishing you a speedy recovery! I’ve had cracked or bruised ribs before and that hurt like hell. I can’t imagine broken ribs....
Old 10-13-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Ribs

Broke my right side #8 right off at the spine on a Friday night. ER gave me a shot & some T3's and said its gonna be a tough weekend. Well the shot wore off about six hours later & the T3 made me nauseous and dry heaved so needless to say I couldnt take them. So it was cold turkey for the pain, they were right ...first time in my life I ever cried out in pain when I moved.

No fun being piled up by livestock, been there too many times.

Your gunna be sore for a while.

Hang in there.

Puma

Last edited by Puma; 10-13-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Banned

Wait until you sneeze,,,put me right to my knees
Old 10-13-2018, 08:16 PM

Id be planning on 2-6 months depending on where the breaks are and the severity of them. Biggest thing right now is take it easy so they heal in the correct place. If they don't set correctly you will feel it for the rest of your life. You can wrap your chest with a large tensor bandage if need (consult with your doctor beforehand though) and sleeping in a semi sitting position can help a lot as well.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 PM

Rib injuries can be strange, broke a couple few years back right before a mountain elk hunt. About died trying to saddle a horse, boys had to set up the wall tent, couldn't walk without gasping. Funny thing was I could swing an axe totally pain free. Guess who was camp b.... Took a couple months to feel good again. Good luck, hope you heal up soon!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-13-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Exactly

THEN wait until you start to sneeze then hold it
Old 10-13-2018, 09:33 PM

Banged mine up in the end of Aug. None broke but major pain. Had to sleep in my recliner for two weeks as I could not lay down. Six weeks later and I still have pain. Can’t imagine what break would be like.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Lol... That’s not nice.. Feel like that bull is kicking you in the same spot!!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:48 PM

Your question has already been answered, but I'll just chime in with my experience as well. Had two broken upper ribs, cartilage damage, hurt to breathe and move (extremely) for about two months. Probably took a year before I didn't have pain. It's an injury that takes a lot of time to heal, and not much you can really do... Not the most physical injury pain I've suffered, but it sure is up there. Not a fun one... Expect to take a fair bit of time off, and good luck! I feel your pain! Brings back bad memories...

Last edited by bloopbloob; 10-13-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Having friends that can make you laugh isn't helpful to the recovery process either.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:57 AM
Banned

I never had such heinous injury before, the though of it alone is sickening. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Get well soon.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 AM

First off, you ask when you can go back to work. That depends on what you do for a living. Only you can decide that.

How active is your job? How much bending over is there in your day? Bouncing around on equipment is to be avoided. How understanding are your bosses? Are they going to be willing to cut you some slack and put you on light duty?

About three years ago, I was in a bit of a wreck and I broke 8 ribs and some other things. They gave me trouble for a while.

As far as sneezing goes, coughing isn't any fun either. I still keep a bottle of Buckleys in my jacket pocket.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:31 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347536

I feel bad for you; I recently felt your pain.

Everything the people said in recovery; you won't start feeling human for 2-4 months, is true.

The simple things like finding a comfortable position to sleep, sneezing, blowing your nose, laughing, tying your shoes are now things you don't look forward to....
BTW, X 2 on the recliner idea from Ranger CS....

Sorry for your luck.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 10-14-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 AM

I have have had ribs broken on a number of occasions, not comfortable.
If you don't have one, get yourself a good recliner chair. Being in the semi reclined position will reduce some of the pressure on your rib cage allowing you
to get a little sleep.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
First off, you ask when you can go back to work. That depends on what you do for a living. Only you can decide that.

How active is your job? How much bending over is there in your day? Bouncing around on equipment is to be avoided. How understanding are your bosses? Are they going to be willing to cut you some slack and put you on light duty?

About three years ago, I was in a bit of a wreck and I broke 8 ribs and some other things. They gave me trouble for a while.

As far as sneezing goes, coughing isn't any fun either. I still keep a bottle of Buckleys in my jacket pocket.

I'm a farmer, I am completely self employed. I'd guess you'd say my job is quite physical.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I'm a farmer, I am completely self employed. I'd guess you'd say my job is quite physical.
I hope you have some help for the next while...I know how much that broken ribs hurt...please don't be out there doing much, you may have to warn your mind that the body needs to heal...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-14-2018, 10:45 AM

One question, how much hamburger did you get from the bull.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:50 AM

When you marinated his back straps, did you add a bit of cilantro?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
One question, how much hamburger did you get from the bull.
Lol

You and i on the same wavelength
Old 10-14-2018, 02:15 PM

Oh man, I feel for you. I broke four ribs the second day of a kayak trip up the coast of Vancouver island. That was the worst, longest lasting broken bones I’ve ever had.
We were five hours of paddling away from anyplace I could get help, and this was before cellphones were everywhere. I could barely lift a paddle let alone use it, so my wife did the work, us in a 21ft. Tandem kayak, towing an inflatable with three weeks of gear and food. All up weight of people, dogs and gear about 1200lbs.
It was a solid two months before I could get out of bed without yelling from the pain. They’re miserable because there is nothing they can do. They don’t even tape them up anymore because it causes pneumonia. First 3 weeks or a month, it’s painful to use the bathroom; Shooting a shotgun would have been a complete non starter....or would be after one round.
Jeez, brings tears to my eyes thinking about it, and it’s almost 20 years ago
Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Oh man, I feel for you. I broke four ribs the second day of a kayak trip up the coast of Vancouver island. That was the worst, longest lasting broken bones I’ve ever had.
We were five hours of paddling away from anyplace I could get help, and this was before cellphones were everywhere. I could barely lift a paddle let alone use it, so my wife did the work, us in a 21ft. Tandem kayak, towing an inflatable with three weeks of gear and food. All up weight of people, dogs and gear about 1200lbs.
It was a solid two months before I could get out of bed without yelling from the pain. They’re miserable because there is nothing they can do. They don’t even tape them up anymore because it causes pneumonia. First 3 weeks or a month, it’s painful to use the bathroom; Shooting a shotgun would have been a complete non starter....or would be after one round.
Jeez, brings tears to my eyes thinking about it, and it’s almost 20 years ago
Old 10-15-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I think you are going to have to learn to cut back on what you do. I know it won't be easy. Asking for help to do a job you are used to doing is tough.

My ribs were broke right about where the elbow hangs, but most of my grief comes from where the ribs join the breast bone in the front and the spine in the back. I had a broken shoulder from the same wreck so cutting back wasn't hard, if I went to far, my body told me.

How long you are going to be off is a tough question, I am not a doctor and I don't know the damage done. I was back doing my regular chores fairly soon but with changes. I had to pull start my chainsaw with my left hand. A person soon learns how far to push things, the difference between a rib telling you it is sore and a rib telling you about a new injury is something to listen to.

It's been a couple of years now and things are good again, I don't think I am going to see pain free again, I think this one will hang around and nag me for a while yet. But in a lot of ways, life is good.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post

My ribs were broke right about where the elbow hangs
So were mine.....
Now imagine my 3 year old, grandson coming over for a visit and he and grandpa are always roughhousing and fooling around.

He decides it is a time for the game of tag. Without notice he slaps me hard right on the sweet spot of my ribs and calls "tag yer it".....I nearly puked as the instant pain was excruciating....this happened a couple of times.....little bugger....

Healing ribs are like a bad haircut; it takes a long time to be good again....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Just recovering from ribs myself.... it hurts just to think about sneezing
Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Hairline fracture with the torn cartilage in 2 of mine on the right side almost 3 months ago. Slipped on a ladder on my brothers boat in Cape Breton this summer. Endured 5 more painful days and a long flight to Calgary. Had my wife run me hospital for xrays and walked out knowing I would be passed T3.
Could not fish or camp all of August. Did not watch Jim Carry movies!!!!
Still feel sore when I turn to my right side when sleeping.
Best of luck