Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
The fish is in a cooler full of water then taken to a shack then weighed then back in cooler then back down the hole. Not exposed to the weather for any length of time that would kill them. I've done it before so I know what I'm talking about.

You don't know if they survived or not when you released them....were you able to monitor them for a month after you released them?...did you get the hook out or leave it in there throat to dissolve?...it doesn't dissolve in the cold water like people think and was it a three prong?.....the throat is now closed with a three prong and they don't eat for long periods of time until the supposed hook dissolves, if that's true and it dissolves in time....they are spawning soon and need to eat....there not eating with a hook in there throat....derby's are hard on fish, a lot of people don't give a dam about how they release them....I feel bad because I did participate in that derby before I started to realise about the sustainability of the fish that are produced in this lake....these are hogs and I would like to keep catching them but derby's are not sustainable....I know the derby is for a good cause but taking the fish out of the water and tansporting them and weighing them and putting them back in the water!!!!you don't know that they survive.....the mortality rate is a lot greater then what people think.....because his gills are moving and he kicked his tail when you put him down the hole doesn't mean he survived so don't say you know what your talking about because you have not monitored that fish for mths after they have been released...........that's why we stopped going because we don't know what happens to them down there
Old 03-03-2014, 11:52 AM

I was talking about how they were handled for weighing and no I didn't leave any hooks in it !
Old 03-03-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucthesizeoftheoneilost View Post
You don't know if they survived or not when you released them....were you able to monitor them for a month after you released them?...did you get the hook out or leave it in there throat to dissolve?...it doesn't dissolve in the cold water like people think and was it a three prong?.....the throat is now closed with a three prong and they don't eat for long periods of time until the supposed hook dissolves, if that's true and it dissolves in time....they are spawning soon and need to eat....there not eating with a hook in there throat....derby's are hard on fish, a lot of people don't give a dam about how they release them....I feel bad because I did participate in that derby before I started to realise about the sustainability of the fish that are produced in this lake....these are hogs and I would like to keep catching them but derby's are not sustainable....I know the derby is for a good cause but taking the fish out of the water and tansporting them and weighing them and putting them back in the water!!!!you don't know that they survive.....the mortality rate is a lot greater then what people think.....because his gills are moving and he kicked his tail when you put him down the hole doesn't mean he survived so don't say you know what your talking about because you have not monitored that fish for mths after they have been released...........that's why we stopped going because we don't know what happens to them down there
So it would be best if you don't fish. That is the only way to insure the fishes safety. Yes there are delayed mortality rates. Yes, some die. Yes some survive. Yes I was there. However, you say that they don't know if they survived. And I say you don't know that they died.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
With that said, I suppose there should be no fishing at all, It is odd that everyone is now an expert on the fisheries, anytime a person goes fishing and catches a fish there is a chance a fish will not make it, the tournament organizers have to play by the book in order to hold an event, with the Badger tournament, they try their best to run the event with the health of the fishery a top priority. But I suppose we could do away with tournaments and have every weekend warrior go fishing and catch their 3 fish limit and bonk them on the head and throw them in the cooler, then see how long the fishery will last, Look what is happening at Travers, Clear Lake, Crawling Valley, Lake Newell.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
So it would be best if you don't fish. That is the only way to insure the fishes safety. Yes there are delayed mortality rates. Yes, some die. Yes some survive. Yes I was there. However, you say that they don't know if they survived. And I say you don't know that they died.
Bingo
Old 03-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
the odds against the fish surviving are against them.....I see people all the time out there not handling the fish properly and being out of the water for minimum of 20mins regardless if you have it an oxygen starved styrafoam box....it cant be good...that I do know
Old 03-03-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny42 View Post
With that said, I suppose there should be no fishing at all, It is odd that everyone is now an expert on the fisheries, anytime a person goes fishing and catches a fish there is a chance a fish will not make it, the tournament organizers have to play by the book in order to hold an event, with the Badger tournament, they try their best to run the event with the health of the fishery a top priority. But I suppose we could do away with tournaments and have every weekend warrior go fishing and catch their 3 fish limit and bonk them on the head and throw them in the cooler, then see how long the fishery will last, Look what is happening at Travers, Clear Lake, Crawling Valley, Lake Newell.

It is odd how you say everyone......you don't have to paint everyone with the same brush your painting me with....you don't have to be an expert, just some common sense....the weekend warriors do that regardless if theres a tourney or not....I rewlly would like to see more studies and would even like to participate in any....I am a diver and would do this on my own dime in order that we can continue to fish and sustain the cows that this lake keeps producing....we have come up with ways to remove hooks so that they are not left in the throats....

Last edited by Ucthesizeoftheoneilost; 03-03-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
the odds against the fish surviving are against them.....
I would take this bet. I've iced about 80 jacks this winter season. Kept 2. I don't believe for a minute that I've killed more than 40 Pike.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
the odds against the fish surviving are against them.....I see people all the time out there not handling the fish properly and being out of the water for minimum of 20mins regardless if you have it an oxygen starved styrafoam box....it cant be good...that I do know
Seriously?

So we all were keeping fish out of the water for 20 min.?

Fish handling, varies with the fisherman! Some may not even be up to your standards.
Please enlighten me on the effects of DO or the lack of Dissolved O2 in a "live well". Did you take a DO reading? So no, you don't know!

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-03-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
It is odd how you say everyone......you don't have to paint everyone with the same brush your painting me with....you don't have to be an expert, just some common sense....the weekend warriors do that regardless if theres a tourney or not....I rewlly would like to see more studies and would even like to participate in any....I am a diver and would do this on my own dime in order that we can continue to fish and sustain the cows that this lake keeps producing....we have come up with ways to remove hooks so that they are not left in the throats....
Why not? You seem to be painting others as "keeping fish out of the water for 20 min.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Badger is too small to host an ice fishing derby. This derby puts too much fishing pressure on the lake at the time of year when the bigger pike are activity feeding and getting ready to spawn. The derby should be moved to a larger lake in the area perhaps Travers or Mcgregor or held at the beginning of January. If it were to continue at Badger a bait ban should be put in effect for the weekend the derby is on to reduce the mortality suffered by the larger spawning fish. If you don't believe a bait ban would help with mortality just watch the Badger lake ice fishing derby video posted on you tube. No reason to wait that long to set the hook especially watching on a camera. I'm not naive enough to believe that all the fish I release survive but with careful handling and limiting the amount of time out of the water I think most stand a pretty good chance. Garbage is an issue after the derby. I've found fishing line, styrofoam packaging from bait and plastic bags frozen to the ice. Left over ashes from fires are also fairly common. Conservation is important and it's time to limit our impact on our lakes.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I dunno about you but i have caught a few pike still with hooks in their throat. So how did i catch them if they dont eat with hooks still in them?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Why not? You seem to be painting others as "keeping fish out of the water for 20 min.
for the derby they are out of the water for a min 20mins....never said everyone like you did....ask the guy who won the derby this year how long it was out of the water....its not good
Old 03-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators View Post
Badger is too small to host an ice fishing derby. This derby puts too much fishing pressure on the lake at the time of year when the bigger pike are activity feeding and getting ready to spawn. The derby should be moved to a larger lake in the area perhaps Travers or Mcgregor or held at the beginning of January. If it were to continue at Badger a bait ban should be put in effect for the weekend the derby is on to reduce the mortality suffered by the larger spawning fish. If you don't believe a bait ban would help with mortality just watch the Badger lake ice fishing derby video posted on you tube. No reason to wait that long to set the hook especially watching on a camera. I'm not naive enough to believe that all the fish I release survive but with careful handling and limiting the amount of time out of the water I think most stand a pretty good chance. Garbage is an issue after the derby. I've found fishing line, styrofoam packaging from bait and plastic bags frozen to the ice. Left over ashes from fires are also fairly common. Conservation is important and it's time to limit our impact on our lakes.
Bigger pike are actively feeding through out the year. And after they spawn they are getting ready for the spawn. So January is the magic month? I agree with your point about not letting a fish take the bait for long. And with quick strike rigs there is no reason for it. But that in itself does not mean a bait ban is necessary. Surprised you did not mention a reduction in pike limits for the lake.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
for the derby they are out of the water for a min 20mins....never said everyone like you did....ask the guy who won the derby this year how long it was out of the water....its not good
Is the water in a live well not water?

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-03-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
I dunno about you but i have caught a few pike still with hooks in their throat. So how did i catch them if they dont eat with hooks still in them?
I don't think there able to swallow, there just taking the bait, just my opinion....pike are ferocious eaters and will take food when not hungary....I also have caught pike with hooks in there throat.....what I seen when I pulled that pike through the ice was scary....it didnt appear to me that it was able to eat, it was 39in long and skinny and I dought it had anything in her belly...I was able to get the hook out and hopefully she survived
Old 03-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
There is no way any of the fish would be out of the water for 20 min and still alive. You can't weigh in dead fish ! If you have a fish that may be in the money you do everything you can to ensure it survives ! Do you really think a catch & release fisherman is better than a catch & release DERBY fisherman ? Do you think every fish caught is weighed in ?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny42 View Post
they try there best? was anyone or did anyone here or see what happened when the winner was being weighed?...this wasn't good.....he has a mickey mouse hand scale...he put the the pike into some cradle and lifted her up and dropped her, not once but twice then decided to fiddle around with it till he was able to rig the cradle to a point where he could get a weight...to me that is not top priority for fisheries....and to top it off, the CO's were right there, just staring....I know there are good people out there trying to the right thing for the fisheries but this was not good....that fish was out of the water for way too long....probably has a few sore ribs right now

Last edited by Ucthesizeoftheoneilost; 03-03-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
they try there best? was anyone or did anyone here or see what happened when the winner was being weighed?...this wasn't good.....he has a mickey mouse hand scale...he put the the pike into some cradle and lifted her up and dropped her, not once but twice then decided to fiddle around with it till he was able to rig the cradle to a point where he could get a weight...to me that is not top priority for fisheries....and to top it off, the CO's were right there, just staring....I know there are good people out there trying to the right thing for the fisheries but this was not good....that fish was out of the water for way too long....probably has a few sore ribs right now

So a regular weekend fisherman doesn't drop fish, or take a picture?

Guess everyone did that to their fish at the derby too.

Nice to know there is one out there who is perfect.

As long as you do your best to release the fish "unharmed" and in a timely manner that is all you can ask of catch and release.

And Im pretty sure the person weighing that fish felt pretty bad about dropping it. One instance. Get real.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Not in this lifetime are they out of the water that long. A lot of post for newby btw. You seem to have taken over this post all on your own

Not an easy feat for sure.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
The fish is in a cooler full of water then taken to a shack then weighed then back in cooler then back down the hole. Not exposed to the weather for any length of time that would kill them. I've done it before so I know what I'm talking about.
Your a Habfan how can we believe you know what your talking about?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Your a Habfan how can we believe you know what your talking about?
go Habs go !!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Not in this lifetime are they out of the water that long. A lot of post for newby btw. You seem to have taken over this post all on your own

Not an easy feat for sure.
what does that have to do with anything? were having a discussion...I hope its a discussion or debating.....is there something wrong with that?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 PM

If one of the largest, if not the largest reservoir in the province, Lake Newell, has to have special regulations put in place to protect the pike fishery I think it will only be a matter of time till the pike limit will be reduced to 1 fish with a slot size. Maybe this will only need to be done in PP1. Hopefully the limit is reduced before the pike population collapses everywhere like it has in Newell.Would it really be that bad to reduce the limit? I doubt many will go hungry if the limit is reduced.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Our camp was set up by the guys that pulled up the winning fish. That fish came out of the hole, hook out, quick pic and in the cooler. I would say this was done all in about 1.5 min. Pretty sure it was not their first rodeo. Congrats on a job well done
Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
How do YOU know???
Because I've participated in them, most often in Lake Newell which as recently mentioned is having an issue with their pike (though I haven't witnessed this problem).
Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
i can't stand ice fishing derbies, far too many fish are killed. It's ridiculous.
i agree
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
go Habs go !!
And take Quebec with ya....
All in fun
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Banned

Default fish

Quote:
The one thing about that derby is that you can't keep any fish if your a contestant !! All fish must be released.

And thats exacatly why l keep my 40 bucks and stay away , l love eating pike , and if im gonna spend a hundred bucks for gas , and 40 bucks to enter at least l deserve a nice feed of pike , ya dont agree , to bad ,suck it up.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Banned

Default fish

Quote:

All the more reason to fryum up.
Closed Thread