Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Talking Playing with the wood stove in my new to me ice shack

My stove is just a bit bigger than a cubic foot.
I cut up some real nice kindling, stuffed in some newspaper and stacked the kindling in staggered loosely, open pit style.
In not much time it was burning nicely, added a few more pieces and closed the door. The baffle is about 1"x2" opened wide open.
Soon it started backfiring, then after idling away nicely kicked into high gear, kind of a mix between a diesel engine and turbine. I would say between the intake and puff of smoke the 'rpm' was about 15-30 puffs per second. It was crazy! I was half terrified and half mystified, never seen a wood stove act like that.
I can only imagine the cold little kids burning down the old wood heated houses back in colonial days over stuffing the woodstoves while mom and dad were out.

When things settled down, I closed up the baffle and let it sit for a couple hours. When I went and looked in again, it was 34c

This is gonna take some getting used to.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Ken, I was messing around with a woodstove I made for my ice shack last year. My original stack was too small, I think it was 3", I went up to 5 or 6", and the stove settled right down. No more "Whump, Whump, Whump"!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Won't be long, you will be fishing with bacon and eggs and a pot of hot coffee on the stove...doesn't get much better than that.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 PM

now you can fish in you own personal sauna shack! awesome!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Just out of curiosity, where is the fresh air intake? Make a hole 4 inches in the wall near the stove. You can get a baffle so that you can open and close it when you aren't firing the stove.

A suffocating stove is a bad stove. Updraft means air has to come from somewhere, and the closer to the stove the better.

Drewski
Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Just out of curiosity, where is the fresh air intake? Make a hole 4 inches in the wall near the stove. You can get a baffle so that you can open and close it when you aren't firing the stove.

A suffocating stove is a bad stove. Updraft means air has to come from somewhere, and the closer to the stove the better.

Drewski
Good point!
There is a window with a screen (lol) that opens on the facing wall, but an open window kind of defeats the purpose of a dark ice shack. I think they were relying on the crack under the door.
Going to see what I can find in town, don't have a 4" holesaw.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Won't be long, you will be fishing with bacon and eggs and a pot of hot coffee on the stove...doesn't get much better than that.
Bacon and eggs does sound good! I remember cooking chicken wings on the grill of the catalytic heater last year lol. Even better, real fresh brookie!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 AM

How high from the ice is the shack, only issue I can see with relying on the hole in the floor is I imagine the shed will get covered in snow. Was the window or door opened when you were burning it. You could try that see how it reacts, I heard from a plumber one time regarding negative pressure in my house to leave a door opened slightly and see if it pulls in. Did u buy the shack used or get it from someone u known could always ask for advise on it.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Just install a vent on the floor.

You know the vents used in forced air http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...tt=floor+vewnt

Cut the right size hole, put a peice of duct that fits on the vent and goes down to a 4 inch diameter. Use a vent that you can close to adjust your air flow. If needed you can add some duct to your 4 inch end too.