Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #331  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:05 PM
Scott h Scott h is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: At the lake
Posts: 2,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Wait till the end of the month, which is also the end of the quarter......

Dow tracking Nikkei, which is down big, should be a bloodbath tomorrow
Once all the bankruptcies start coming online in the next few weeks things will really start to become obvious.......

https://fortune.com/2020/03/05/coron...nous-cruising/
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:14 PM
Justfishin73's Avatar
Justfishin73 Justfishin73 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 1,466
Default

Would love to pick up Air Canada at $25 or less
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 03-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Zip-in-Z's Avatar
Zip-in-Z Zip-in-Z is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sylvan Lake/South Calif.
Posts: 3,465
Default

How low will the Pot go ... maybe a Buck or less?

D.



A year or so ago it was over $16.00






A year ago it was over $72.00


__________________
Z-z

Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 03-05-2020, 10:25 PM
fishtank fishtank is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: edmonton
Posts: 3,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
How low will the Pot go ... maybe a Buck or less?

D.



A year or so ago it was over $16.00






A year ago it was over $72.00


Canopy just lay-off 500 in bc effective immediately... the good times feel are wearing off .
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 03-05-2020, 10:29 PM
Trochu's Avatar
Trochu Trochu is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Canopy just lay-off 500 in bc effective immediately... the good times feel are wearing off .
And then I read someone just leased a 20,000ish sq. ft. facility in Blackfalds this week to start a weed plant.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 03-06-2020, 06:22 AM
Justfishin73's Avatar
Justfishin73 Justfishin73 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 1,466
Default

Aurora was a helluva ride up. I may have exited a touch early, but great gains.

I could see another 1000 point drop today for the DOW, Nikkei closed down 3% and they're running parallel, they'll throw everything they have at it to hold 25,000, will it hold though......futures dropping fast
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are

Last edited by Justfishin73; 03-06-2020 at 06:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 03-06-2020, 08:10 AM
raab raab is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,858
Default

I donít see how thereís not at least a couple month slow at this point.
__________________
ďIf all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.Ē John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 03-06-2020, 08:25 AM
Glion Glion is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 550
Default

SpinMaster toycorp dropped 40% yesterday. Also royal Caribbean cruises is down about 50% since Jan
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 03-06-2020, 08:36 AM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 43,563
Default

As predicted, the markets opened way down. Now to see how they end up over the week.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 03-06-2020, 09:42 AM
Buckhead Buckhead is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Strathcona County
Posts: 1,935
Default

Looks like they are ending the week around the same level they started the week.
Much ado about nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old 03-06-2020, 05:08 PM
KGB's Avatar
KGB KGB is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Aurora was a helluva ride up. I may have exited a touch early, but great gains.

I could see another 1000 point drop today for the DOW, Nikkei closed down 3% and they're running parallel, they'll throw everything they have at it to hold 25,000, will it hold though......futures dropping fast
Do you think it will drop another 10%?
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 03-06-2020, 05:13 PM
bdub's Avatar
bdub bdub is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Looks like they are ending the week around the same level they started the week.
Much ado about nothing.
Must have been a quiet week.
__________________
There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot. Aldo Leopold
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 03-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Edmonton
Posts: 14,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Must have been a quiet week.
Now that qualifies as truly hilarious.

All this volatility has been very profitable. Hard to dislike an environment where u can make 10 grand a day risk free without any real work at all.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 03-06-2020, 05:32 PM
Justfishin73's Avatar
Justfishin73 Justfishin73 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 1,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Do you think it will drop another 10%?
I do
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 03-06-2020, 06:29 PM
KinAlberta KinAlberta is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
... Also royal Caribbean cruises is down about 50% since Jan
Half their market must be young people. What senior will ever take a cruise again?

Last edited by KinAlberta; 03-06-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 03-06-2020, 06:39 PM
KinAlberta KinAlberta is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,058
Default

Could be fake news as I missed most of the news item, but apparently the staff at 2 ATB branches somewhere are going into self-Q

The news then went on to basically ridicule some people recently buying toilet paper at a Costco in Calgary.



So...

If I ever have to suddenly go into self-quarantine, can I take a run to Costco first?

Say if I actually need toilet paper. Who keeps a big stock of toilet paper? :-)

Oh, and can I go to a few drug stores go find those masks that I wasnít supposed to buy ahead of time - or risk being ridiculed and laughed at per the media going back as far as the SARS outbreak.




BTW, I actually donít have any of those masks. Iíll be counting on the governmentís PPB (Pandemic Preparedness Brigade) to drop off any needed supplies. Whatís their number or website address or will that be provided when needed?
:-)
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 03-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Justfishin73's Avatar
Justfishin73 Justfishin73 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 1,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Could be fake news as I missed most of the news item, but apparently the staff at 2 ATB branches somewhere are going into self-Q

The news then went on to basically ridicule some people recently buying toilet paper at a Costco in Calgary.



So...

If I ever have to suddenly go into self-quarantine, can I take a run to Costco first?

Say if I actually need toilet paper. Who keeps a big stock of toilet paper? :-)

Oh, and can I go to a few drug stores go find those masks that I wasnít supposed to buy ahead of time - or risk being ridiculed and laughed at per the media going back as far as the SARS outbreak.




BTW, I actually donít have any of those masks. Iíll be counting on the governmentís PPB (Pandemic Preparedness Brigade) to drop off any needed supplies. Whatís their number or website address or will that be provided when needed?
:-)
Wrong thread, this is about the markets. Two other threads on the virus to post this on
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 03-06-2020, 08:50 PM
bdub's Avatar
bdub bdub is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

All this volatility has been very profitable. Hard to dislike an environment where u can make 10 grand a day risk free without any real work at all.
Risk free. That sounds like one of those shameless plugs for binary option trading or something. Please explain how you get those risk free returns.
__________________
There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot. Aldo Leopold
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 03-06-2020, 08:56 PM
KGB's Avatar
KGB KGB is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I do
When do you think it will hit the bottom? Whatís the magic number or date?
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 03-06-2020, 08:58 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Edmonton
Posts: 14,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Risk free. That sounds like one of those shameless plugs for binary option trading or something. Please explain how you get those risk free returns.
REALLY badly worded. There is no such thing as risk free. What I was trying to say is that done right and day trading the right stocks, as in cokeacola that you would be happy to hold longterm, it has very limited downside, but you still need to know what you are doing to trade the volatility effectively. Sorry for the poor wording of my earlier post.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-06-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 03-06-2020, 09:36 PM
MountainTi's Avatar
MountainTi MountainTi is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Caroline
Posts: 6,940
Default

Anybody get in on TP stocks at the start of all this? Money to be made
__________________
Two reasons you may think CO2 is a pollutant
1.You weren't paying attention in grade 5
2. You're stupid
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Justfishin73's Avatar
Justfishin73 Justfishin73 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 1,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
When do you think it will hit the bottom? Whatís the magic number or date?
My uneducated guess is 22,000-23,000. I think the market was wildly overbought and overinflated. I was waiting for a 20% correction regardless of the virus, which does put a whole new spin on things though.
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 03-06-2020, 10:25 PM
59whiskers 59whiskers is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South West Alberta
Posts: 767
Default

Still low balling bids on large cap stocks, trying to buy more bank and insurance stocks much cheaper than they are now, I hope.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 03-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Glion Glion is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 550
Default

Crude is riding rough today.... an interesting one might be goodfood, one of those home delivery meal kit places
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 03-07-2020, 09:06 AM
KinAlberta KinAlberta is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Wrong thread, this is about the markets. Two other threads on the virus to post this on
Ahh sorry.

Iíll never get used to the tiny screens. Maybe admin can just delete the post
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 AM
KinAlberta KinAlberta is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
REALLY badly worded. There is no such thing as risk free. What I was trying to say is that done right and day trading the right stocks, as in cokeacola that you would be happy to hold longterm, it has very limited downside, but you still need to know what you are doing to trade the volatility effectively. Sorry for the poor wording of my earlier post.

Making bets on not only what others are going to do next but also to what degree. (Agree with such bets to pick up long term positions.)

2012

Quote:

ďOn recent volatality and long-term investing approach: Volatility makes long-term investing even more attractive. The decline in trading costs, combined with the natural volatility of equities, has lent itself to more of a casino mentality. The more volatile, interestingly enough, a situation is, the more attractive it is for value managers, who are long-term investors, because it creates more opportunities.ď

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/18075...sino-mentality
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 03-07-2020, 09:27 AM
bdub's Avatar
bdub bdub is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,713
Default Credit Crisis Starting?

.
__________________
There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot. Aldo Leopold

Last edited by bdub; 03-07-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 03-07-2020, 09:33 AM
bdub's Avatar
bdub bdub is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,713
Default

Credit/bonds. Some further indications that this is evolving into a financial crisis are starting to show up in the credit markets. Triple BBB corporate spreads are starting to widen out. A lot of that triple B stuff is sitting on the edge of junk status. US government bond yields have hit insanely low levels. What does this mean if you are holding bonds in your portfolio? Know what you own. A lot of investors/or their advisors may have been stretching for yield in this low rate environment and are holding so called "safe" bonds that are going to get hammered in a crunch. Not all bond funds/etf's carry the same risk so be careful, know what you own and focus on safety here. There are going to be some upsets if this keeps going.

Stocks. The VIX hit the 54 level again this week. That is a huge amount of volatility and is reflected in these multiple +- 3% daily moves in stock markets. The market is telling us they have no idea how this is going to play out. IT is pricing in the chances of another 2008-09 financial crisis type of event. Hopefully the companies you are holding have good balance sheets, and moats around the business, and all that other good stuff. Poor quality companies will get sold off worse than high quality ones but in the end, if it does devolve into a crisis, everything will get sold.

Gold. Golds been hanging in pretty good here. As rates go lower it becomes more attractive as a non yielding asset. The 100$ish selloff right at the end of February is being blamed on things like margin calls/forced selling. Who knows? In hindsight it was a perfect time to add/buy as it has gained it all back in the last week.

It's going to be an interesting couple months coming up as the virus starts infecting and killing large amounts of people in the western world. Be prepared for the possibility of financial chaos like we seen during the GFC. Nobody knows what's going to happen but markets are pricing in a great deal of risk here. Good luck all.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...n-bond-yields/

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/BAMLC0A4CBBB

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...dicator-surges

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/treas...010935273.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/credi...172026613.html
__________________
There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot. Aldo Leopold
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 03-08-2020, 06:14 PM
fishnguy fishnguy is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,340
Default

With the news from Italy and elsewhere and failed oil talks, the melt tomorrow will be epic. Record drop in one day? I wonder.
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 03-08-2020, 07:07 PM
bdub's Avatar
bdub bdub is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,713
Default



I wonder if we will see futures halted on the US main indexes before the start of regular trading tomorrow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot. Aldo Leopold
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.