Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

Default Dog discipline???

There are times when our beloved tick us off....and today is one of those days for me.
I'm really a big softy and cant handle sad puppydog eyes (but won't take crap either).....so....how much discipline is good discipline????
Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 PM

Depends on the dog. Some dogs arent rattled a bit from strong discipline. Others can be ruined by loud voice corrections.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post
There are times when our beloved tick us off....and today is one of those days for me.
I'm really a big softy and cant handle sad puppydog eyes (but won't take crap either).....so....how much discipline is good discipline????
Nothing physical, my little guys knows when I am pizzed. I make him go to his bed and stay there for maybe 1/2 an hour. After half and hour I don't think they remember too much about what they did wrong. He remembers enough not to do it again so this works for me.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 PM

All I got to do with my lab is snap my fingers and say hey. If I actually yell at her she will go cower in a corner somewhere and I won't see her until I call her name. I yelled at her once and chased her fir eating a pack of hot dogs. She never came near me for 2 days until I called her to me, then I couldn't get her away from me lol
Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
All I got to do with my lab is snap my fingers and say hey. If I actually yell at her she will go cower in a corner somewhere and I won't see her until I call her name. I yelled at her once and chased her fir eating a pack of hot dogs. She never came near me for 2 days until I called her to me, then I couldn't get her away from me lol
They want to please you and when they cant they sometimes just give up. Worst thing for training. A dog is as individual as a child. People think dogs are made with a cookie cutter and that couldn't be farther from the truth. Training any dog is way more about training the human how to understand what motivates their dog and being intelligent enough to work with the dog they have vs the stereotype they have been taught to believe.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
They want to please you and when they cant they sometimes just give up. Worst thing for training. A dog is as individual as a child. People think dogs are made with a cookie cutter and that couldn't be farther from the truth. Training any dog is way more about training the human how to understand what motivates their dog and being intelligent enough to work with the dog they have vs the stereotype they have been taught to believe.
Nobody could have said that better, your a wise man.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Good words dean.....
my lil bugger chewed my seatbelt while I shopped.....he's done it b4 but not for a long long time......Wolf dogs are very pack oriented and cant handle being alone....trust me. But I thought we were past this.....I was wrong.
But.....now he's listening to every word I say....and I dont want to break his spirit....its like training a horse....you dont want to break their spirit but you want respect.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Default You have had a learning moment

When a dog no matter what age is bored you suffer ....after my first
Pointer ate shoes , drywall, cupboards , wet suit , all my 10 or so
Dogs have been kennel trained . Always kennelled in a vehicle ,
Never loose ,it's dangerous ...being a softy is a detriment to the dogs welfare .
They have no common sense but in a lot of cases are smarter than the owner .

Dogs will not exercise themselves ,get bored easy so why not contain them
And keep them safe .
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 AM

I have owned many dogs over the last 30 years and can honestly say most issues of the dog is a result of actions or no actions of the owner. They want to please use in the worst way. If they show destructive behaviour, it is usually from boredom or lack of exercise. I can look back over the years and honestly say every issue I have had was a result of me doing or not doing something A bit of discipline is required from time to time but more thought should be put into thinking " why did he do that in the first place?" What can "I " do so he won't do it again!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
When a dog no matter what age is bored you suffer ....after my first
Pointer ate shoes , drywall, cupboards , wet suit , all my 10 or so
Dogs have been kennel trained . Always kennelled in a vehicle ,
Never loose ,it's dangerous ...being a softy is a detriment to the dogs welfare .
They have no common sense but in a lot of cases are smarter than the owner .

Dogs will not exercise themselves ,get bored easy so why not contain them
And keep them safe .
Yes I understand that....but I took him for a quick walk when I parked and wan't gone for less than 10min.....in and out of the store.
Wolf dogs are a different bread and demand a lot of attention and get pack separation anxiety right away. Even if myself or lil woman go take out the garbage...he'll start jumping around frantically until your back....then he'll calmn down. He can never be left alone or kenneled alone or tied up alone.
He needs company 24hrs a day.
That's why wolf dog owners will always emphasize to do your homework before getting one. They are alot of work.....and it's almost impossible to change their natural pack instinct. Most dogs have pack instinct but wolf's live and breath it constantly.
If you dont know....it's very hard to explain to people.
And btw.....he's at a trainer's place every day while we are at work.
They are very smart animals but need company.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Nothing physical, my little guys knows when I am pizzed. I make him go to his bed and stay there for maybe 1/2 an hour. After half and hour I don't think they remember too much about what they did wrong. He remembers enough not to do it again so this works for me.
I assume by bed you mean his crate? You should never use his crate as punishment. His crate should be a safe place that he wants to be in.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Too many beers. Can't drive anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset sniper View Post
Too many beers. Can't drive anymore.
hahahahahahaha.....nice
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKing View Post
I assume by bed you mean his crate? You should never use his crate as punishment. His crate should be a safe place that he wants to be in.
No he is just a little guy and spends most of his time on the couch. His bed is where he goes at supper time (automatic when we eat ) and when he is in trouble which isn't very often.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post
Good words dean.....
my lil bugger chewed my seatbelt while I shopped.....he's done it b4 but not for a long long time......Wolf dogs are very pack oriented and cant handle being alone....trust me. But I thought we were past this.....I was wrong.
But.....now he's listening to every word I say....and I dont want to break his spirit....its like training a horse....you dont want to break their spirit but you want respect.
Now if only it was ACTUALLY a wolf dog, as opposed to what old 'john doe' told you when he sold it to you.

Read up on the reality of how often 'wolf dogs' happen
Old 06-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Now if only it was ACTUALLY a wolf dog, as opposed to what old 'john doe' told you when he sold it to you.

Read up on the reality of how often 'wolf dogs' happen
It is against the law in Alberta to have a wolf dog.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 PM

It's also against the law to have a meth lab, but there's lots of them around lol
Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's also against the law to have a meth lab, but there's lots of them around lol
Is there ?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 AM

The amount of physical force required varies by the dog's personality. People say I am hard on dogs but most of them have mutts and mongrels that can't obey basic commands to save their lives. Nor do they understand the potential in the dogs they have.

The average dog only needs about 6 commands that he must follow without hesitation. Once he has them all he is off to the races and will be eager to show off his skills in executing them. Properly trained dogs can wander a way away from their owners without a leash as long as they come back to heel when called. You can start playing serious Frisbee and fetching games with a well trained dog that makes them even happier pets. Stupid people don't understand the difference between correcting the dog and punishing it - and as a consequence are stuck with dogs that can never be let off the leash or trusted around other dogs. The sad thing is that most of them believe that is the way dogs are supposed to live...I suppose it all comes down to what you want from your dog too.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
And here we go again.
Quite happy to say it again....it is NOT illegal.
Mine is fully registered and tagged....LEGALLY
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
I think it's only illegal to take a wolf pup from the wild to try and domesticate it. Just like with any other wild animal. If a wolf breeds a domestic dog, the offspring are not illegal. If that domestic dog happens to be a wolf cross then you get more wolf then dog. Friends of the family growing up always had a wolf cross, very loyal and protective animals.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Definitly watch out for them meth labs. Crazy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59761_449325598470691_61154647_n.jpg (49.3 KB, 8 views)