Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Default Movie watching annoyances

In the last movie...Man of Steel we had a few winners in the crowd.

We had the cell phone checker...bright iphone light coming on regularly. Fortunately behind me. Also behind me I had a young chair kicker. The entire movie...bump...bump...bump. Three polite turns and please stop kicking the chair resulted in no fixes...so gave up.

We also had a play by play repeat commentary and odd laugher. That was interesting and well within earshot.

What other peeves do people have at a theatre?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 AM

People that don't mind their own business... (kidding)..

My biggest, is when the theater is almost empty, yet, everyone has to sit right next to us.. and no, we don't sit in the "ideal" seats (middle center)..

I'm really curious how the new theater in south calgary is going to be.. Supposedly it's a full-serve, fully licensed theatre. Yep, booze, food, etc.. That'll be interesting.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 AM

Think I've been to the theatre twice in the last 7 years.

Alamo drafthouse in Texas was awesome. Server beer and I don't remember if kids weren't allowed or not but I never saw them there. No phones, noise, etc.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
People that don't mind their own business... (kidding)..

My biggest, is when the theater is almost empty, yet, everyone has to sit right next to us.. and no, we don't sit in the "ideal" seats (middle center)..

I'm really curious how the new theater in south calgary is going to be.. Supposedly it's a full-serve, fully licensed theatre. Yep, booze, food, etc.. That'll be interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f390FpvairM

I kind of pictured you getting the best seat in the house...
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM

lol.. touche...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM

We've gone to the VIP theatre in Edmonton and it was pretty cool. Reserve your seats before you get to the theatre. Seats were really comfortable, servers bring you food and adult beverages up to the movie start time. Have to be 18+ to get in. It's not perfect but it is good.

http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/VIP.aspx

Every theatre should employ this strategy:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/...ve-film-goers/
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM

I was once an avid movie buff, but the last few outings 5 years ago have soured me on the experience. People sometimes forget that they are not at home and that others are sharing the space as well. I don't enjoy paying exorbitant prices to only leave in anger.

My beefs?
- person behind you puts their feet up on your seat. I really enjoy that odiferous sneaker next to my head. I usually stand up and ask " really?"

- people who need to walk past you once you're seated and just expect you to move your legs without an " excuse me" They just stare at you or bristle by with some patrons putting their leviathan butt in your face.

- drunk people. How the heck were they allowed in?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM

When we do a new movie, we wait a few weeks, lots of empty spaces and no line ups. I hate standing in line and fighting the crowds. I feel your frustration. The cell phones are a huge distraction with their brightness and the idiots who cant turn it off for a while.