Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Talking Introduction and looking for other Grande Prairie members

Hey all, I am a new member here. My name is Geoffrey and I live in Grande Prairie. I am married with three young kids, we try to get out as a family as often as possible.

I am an avid outdoorsman, I have been enjoying the great outdoors since I was very young. I have been learning and practicing wilderness and survival skills for over 20 years, and have taken up Bushcraft over the past few years.

I have recently taken an interest in prepping and preparedness as well.

I am not a native of Alberta, I have lived here for 4 years. Over that time I haven't really got to know any other outdoorsman here in Grande Prairie. I am a telecommunications tech, I have worked with a lot of great people but this job tends to attract more of the geek side of guys than the outdoors type of guy.

I am sure this is an odd sounding post already... Well it is about to get odder.

Over the past 4 years I have not had much luck getting to know other outdoorsman, I have tried where I work, where I hunt, where I shop, but no luck. I am curious if there are other Grande Prairie members here that might be interested in getting together occasionally. I am looking to meet other people interested in hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, prepping, shooting, training, etc.

I am sorry if this sounds like a cheesy online dating profile.

I have invested a great deal into good gear but have spent the last few years just looking at it. This year is the year I intend to change all of that. Anyone here from GP interested in day skills trips, camping, hunting, fishing, etc?

Thanks all.

Geoffrey
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM

Can't help you with the Grand Prairie thing as I live in Dead Rear but welcome to the forum.

"From my cold dead hands!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Thomas Jefferson
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often
and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 PM

Yup, welcome to the forum. You can expect to get ragged out about the online dating bit, but don't take it personal, most folks around here are decent enough. I'm in GP, and as much as I love getting out, I don't have nearly the time, and when I do I tend to make it family time as I have 5 kids of my own (one playing AAA Bantam hockey, which is a time consuming venture!). Anyway, don't despair, there are a few good members from GP on the forum, you might hit paydirt with your friendly intro. You may find though, that most people living here are running the rat race hard, I know I am. The problem with that, is even if you win you are still a rat......but with kids to feed, you do have to take care of business.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Hey now!
What's this? You mean a real introduction? Good for you. I am actually amazed. Don't ask me why.
Welcome to the fray.
Learn to use the search feature-Go advanced!
There is also a sticky near the top "who's looking for a hunting parter".
You might find someone there who is looking for a date.
No, just kidding.
I hunt mostly by myself but have been giving thought to taking on a serious hunting partner, I'm just not sure I'm ready for that commitment yet.
I'm not in GP, can't help you.
Good luck.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM

hello and welcome to the forum. a big koodos to you for the intro
Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 PM

there is a 1/4 sec. about 1/2 hr. from hiway at crooked creek.the owners are not there for this winter. the place is sealed up but the property may be availble for weekend use if they trusted the people.you may be required to deal with wolves.but they prefere the animals to be left alone.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM

Welcome to the forum
Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Hi Geoffrey.

I get down to GP a few times a year. We'll have to have coffee somewhere next time I'm down that way.

Do you do field work or are you behind a desk? Just wondering if you get up to Manning in the course of your duties.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Hey Geoffrey.

I'm actually surprised you're just signing up here now...

That visit at the bar last year was good.
I haven't had luck getting out for recreational bush play / skills day since.

Anyway...keep tryin!

Geoff.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 AM

Welcome to the forum! Hope you have thick skin cuz this place is rough good place though. You'll learn who's who in Not too long a time.

Just some advice, make sure you research thoroughly any question you have and want to post here, before you actually post it here.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 AM

Welcome to the site; you're in a pretty good area for outdoorsmen. But you probably won't meet too many at the bar.

You'll like it here mostly. It would be nice for some of us semi-Northern outdoors enthusiasts to get together. I believe one of the other members is trying for a
GP coffee.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 AM

well come on in .... coffee..\_/]?..... sit a spell and wont take long to see there are some great folks here and some rascals but that what its all about. There are a few GP members here that will no doubt say hi.. I really enjoy the forum. I am temporarily on the west wet coast but not for long ..lol anyway hi ya and have fun .
wayne
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM

How sweet, fresh meat....

If you ever want a day at the range and don't mind the drive to Valleyview just PM me!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks all. Yeah I have pretty thick skin and a good sense of humor so I'm sure I will get by.

Mustayah I didn't realize there was an Alberta forum until this winter. Glad to be here. Hopefully we can get a bunch of GP guys together again.

Would be great to get to know some local folks.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Welcome to the club. Have fun dont take things too seriously
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Welcome. Im new here too. This joint I'm finding takes up a lot of time. I think that Twisted Canuck speaks for a lot of us here in GP. Dancing to the beat of the oil patch biatch. Would be good to get together with some shooters and reloaders though.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM

Any other GP members interested in getting to know other GP members?

Maybe another meetup?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM

Keep an eye on the trapping forum. We post our grande prairie meetings there and you'd be welcome to attend. You don't have to be a trapper and you'd meet a bunch of dedicated outdoorsmen. This city is full of hunters and anglers and has a Fish and game club as well…good place to start.

Welcome to GP
Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM

I'm in GP, just getting into hunting. Get out into the bush 4by4ing most weekends. If you have experence hunting, I would like to come on a hunt with you, just to learn. Not sure what bush craft is?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Great weather now....

Any interest in outdoor skills meets?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 AM

I'm to the north of GP, Rycroft area. I march to the drum of the patch as well, but I got a good schedule. I mainly fish, hike and camp. Not much of a shooter, though.

Don't believe what you hear about me, most people think I'm someone else on here.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
I'm to the north of GP, Rycroft area. I march to the drum of the patch as well, but I got a good schedule. I mainly fish, hike and camp. Not much of a shooter, though.

Don't believe what you hear about me, most people think I'm someone else on here.
I was reading that about you on the weekend.