Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Need help with a motor

I need help from someone who deals with electric motors.

I am planning to build a bird flesher http://www.mckenziesp.com/DKB372-P16577C1927.aspx and I was wondering if anyone can help me find a motor like the one used here. I have been told that the optimal RPM setting is 1300 - 1600.

As can be seen in the add the price is 270 bucks and I am cheap. Add on top of that probably 50 bucks for shipping from the US so I really think it can be done for a much better price here and I can support some local business at the same time.

I do not have a clue as to where to start looking for this thing. The only ones I have been able to find are 2-300 bucks just for a motor.

Please help!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Motor from a washer maybe? Should be able to get one for free
Old 06-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

I'm thinking that any motor from an old furnace would work. There are new furnace motors at Princess Auto for about $100 if you wanted to get fancy or you don't want to scrounge around.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I'd look for a 1/4 hp motor or similar used. I have used washer motors in the past. Get any goodies you need to mount or change the rpm from Princess auto. I'd be surprised if you couldn't build something for under a hundred bux.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the start guys.

My major problem is that I am not mechanically inclined. Wood? No problem. This stuff is somewhat baffling to me.

I have read quite a few times that one of these things can be made for less than 100 bucks in the states. That's kinda my goal for this if possible.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm thinking that any motor from an old furnace would work. There are new furnace motors at Princess Auto for about $100 if you wanted to get fancy or you don't want to scrounge around.
From what I cld see on my phone (still can't get used to that) looks like they're using a 1/4 PSC (permament split capacitor) motor. That would supply much more torque than a plain 1/4 SP motor.

May be cheaper just to up the hp to say 1/3 ?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
From what I cld see on my phone (still can't get used to that) looks like they're using a 1/4 PSC (permament split capacitor) motor. That would supply much more torque than a plain 1/4 SP motor.

May be cheaper just to up the hp to say 1/3 ?
This is why I need the help. I don't have a frikken clue what that means!

I'm all for getting what is going to work the first time. I don't want to pick something up for 100 bucks just to find out that I need to buy another 100 dollar product because what I bought the first time didn't work. If I do that I may as well just order the real one from MacKenzie.

In case anyone is wondering, this motor needs to have a collar attached that can have a wire brush/wheel inserted into said collar. It will be used for cleaning the fat and tissue from the skin of birds to be mounted. The reason I am a little leery is that the skin of a bird can be very thin and delicate and if the RPM's get out of hand, it can shred the skin like paper.

Thanks for the help so far folks. It is appreciated. Any more help would be great.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Banned

Wouldn't an old bench grinder do?

You can find those cheap at almost any auction.. yard sale etc...they are pretty cheap new as well.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 PM

Cowtown...

I might have what you need...I just need to get home tomorrow. I have an old furnace fan motor just sitting there collecting dust...it still has the power cord, wheels and belts attached and it wouldn't take much to jimmy-rig something close to the contraption you are trying to make.

I was gonna put the motor up for sale on Kijiji...but I am sure we could work something out if you are interested.

Let me get back to you with the specs on the motor.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 AM

Thanks Jack!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 AM

man i'd try starting with a variable 1/2 inch drill or a 3/8 if more speed is required.
Get one with a front thread in grip to clamp it in the vise. chuck up the brush and try it..done in time for lunch? chain
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Look at garage sales for old table saws, washing machines, exhaust fans etc.. I am replacing my motor on the band saw soon. 1.5 hp 230 volt, 1800 rpm. Not enough umfff for the band saw. Check the buy and sell stuff here. Someone had some for sale not too long ago.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.