Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Cant go wrong with a 30-06 and a 180 or 165 grain bullet really whatever shoots best for you.
If I was looking for a recoil sensitive rifle as a do all rifle I would look at a 280 Remington and a 160 grain bullet.

As for a scope I really like variable magnification and have really come to like my VX3 4.5-14x40mm
It allows me to have a low magnification for close tight bush and allows me to zoom in on shots over 100 yards.
Really like the Browning X-bolt rifles as a middle of the road rifle that has a good fit, finish and design and is very light and functioning.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:09 PM

I'm sure SB will find what he's looking for, and enjoys what-ever that plan leads him to.

I'm just closing in on 5 months of 1 main shooter, and a fun all round plinker unit.

Both rifles I own shoot the same bullets and ft-per seconds since I hand load them to do the same thing for ranging. Thats the nice thing about keeping the same grain bullet and velocities twinned.

100m 0 MOA
200 2
300 5
400 8
500 12 and so on.

Having both rifles dialed into the ballistics chart makes it to easy to follow the MOA spread from 100 to 1700 meters. Total spread of 50 MOA +/-

Both rifles have 20 MOA rails, the capabilities of optic dial-up,.BDC or. Texas Windage that is further then what the bullets can reach before dropping below sub-sonic & non-sonic ft-per seconds. LOL.

This summer I was thinking of switching back and forth with different bullets, weights, powders, cases.

I got schooled, so both rifles have 50 lbs of powder and 2000 bullets X's by 2. Ha this is just the back-up.

All the same every thing, that way it factors out any variables in that department.

The bullets, powder, cases, primers I picked will do it all, from Deer, Elk, and targets. The only coyotes I go after are the ones that show up in calfing time in the spring.

Each person gets to pick and choose what works, that's the advantage of having options of firearm and cartrage.

Sure nice when it works.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 12-04-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:12 PM

My kids have their eyes on rifles in my collection.i told them I would give them each a rifle when they get a place of their own. I have never owned a 270 so I figured if I was giving away some rifles it was a good excuse to by a Xbolt in 270.it will hopefully be my one gun for hunting from moose on down.hasnt disappointed me so far!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:58 PM

Well , I briefly stopped in and had a look at some new rifles. my problem is left hand. Not much out there. I shouldered a Tikka t3x in 30-06 and it was nice and I also liked the browning. The first thing that came to mind was how much lighter they were compared to my 10 pound Ruger M77 Mk11 , and started to think about recoil. I'll be honest here and don't like to admit it but I'm getting close to my 60's and find myself bothered by recoil and muzzle blast. I have no idea why.
I pulled out the Ruger today gave it a good cleaning and said to myself you know this stainless laminate rifle looks pretty darn good, I think i'll keep it! It is topped with a Leupold FX3 6x42 and I like this scope a lot.
So I decided this is what i'm doing , I will keep the Tikka T3 in .243 because it's a tack driver. Keep the JM Marlin 35Rem because I like to have a lever for when I feel like being a cowboy and my main hunter will be the Ruger 06 for now . Every thing else will go up for sale shortly.
Thanks for all the input, it has been great to hear all your recommendations and opinions.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Look at the 139gr 7mm-08 vs the 150gr 308, it will give you a little idea of what I'm talking about.

Old way of thinking is heavier is better, new way of thinking is better by design.
Apples and oranges.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Apples and oranges.
Yes, exactly. But it shows that not in all cases will a heavier bullet carry more energy even if it starts out with more..... does it not?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, exactly. But it shows that not in all cases will a heavier bullet carry more energy even if it starts out with more..... does it not?
Yes, but it also shows that a 30-06/180 gr will start at a lower MV, have a lower terminal velocity and still deliver more.

If you run the same bullet weight from the 7mm-08 and the .308 Win,
the one with the (are you ready for this?) higher SD wins... 7mm-08.

The same principal applies to your comparison of the 7mm-08 /139 gr to the .308 Win 150 gr. Sectional density is alive and well.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Yes, but it also shows that a 30-06/180 gr will start at a lower MV, have a lower terminal velocity and still deliver more.

If you run the same bullet weight from the 7mm-08 and the .308 Win,
the one with the (are you ready for this?) higher SD wins... 7mm-08.

The same principal applies to your comparison of the 7mm-08 /139 gr to the .308 Win 150 gr. Sectional density is alive and well.
I'm not arguing that point. The 30-06 with the 180gr also has about 15 more grains of powder and more recoil. If we were to compare with the 30-06 and a 180gr bullet a better comparison would be a 280 with a 168gr bullet, I'm sure you know who wins that one.... the lighter bullet.

The true question is, what's the smallest bullet that will deliver enough energy and still have the velocity to allow the bullet to perform as designed so as to do enough tissue damage at the furthest distance on the largest of North American game animals?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The true question is, what's the smallest bullet that will deliver enough energy and still have the velocity to allow the bullet to perform as designed so as to do enough tissue damage at the furthest distance on the largest of North American game animals?
That’s easy a 270 Win, with a 130g bullet.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
That’s easy a 270 Win, with a 130g bullet.
Close!

But no cigar
Old 12-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing that point. The 30-06 with the 180gr also has about 15 more grains of powder and more recoil. If we were to compare with the 30-06 and a 180gr bullet a better comparison would be a 280 with a 168gr bullet, I'm sure you know who wins that one.... the lighter bullet.

Certainly no argument here. The lighter bullet has the higher SD in that instance.
As to the goal of utilizing the smallest bullet possible at the longest distance on the largest of NA Game, that's pretty ambiguous so I'll leave that one alone. There may be some additional powder and recoil involved.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Certainly no argument here. The lighter bullet has the higher SD in that instance.
As to the goal of utilizing the smallest bullet possible at the longest distance on the largest of NA Game, that's pretty ambiguous so I'll leave that one alone. There may be some additional powder and recoil involved.
Recoil
Accuracy of rifle
Accuracy of shooter

For some a 243 is too big, others a 338-378 isn't big enough.

My plan is to get good enough with a small gun that I can cut my powder use in half!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Recoil
Accuracy of rifle
Accuracy of shooter

For some a 243 is too big, others a 338-378 isn't big enough.

My plan is to get good enough with a small gun that I can cut my powder use in half!
Why? Is the 15 grains of powder too heavy?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Why? Is the 15 grains of powder too heavy?
It's not needed. Why waste it?

I'd save about 2lbs a year.

Last edited by Kurt505; 12-05-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
It's not needed. Why waste it?

I'd save about 2lbs a year.
Good work. Id be interested in trying it out if we ever cross paths one day. It sounds like a cool cartridge.

Im still gonna stick to my 308 Win. Ive had it for a long time and its never let me down.
Most of my hunting is still inside of 100 meters even though i practice longer ranges and all the calculations just for hobby sake. I also like that because it has such a following that it will always be available if factories ever have to decide on which ammunition to keep producing vs letting go dormant. I kinda feel like 308 Win would even outlast 3006 and 270 if that situation ever became reality. Who knows. Hopefully wont ever see that day.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Good work. Id be interested in trying it out if we ever cross paths one day. It sounds like a cool cartridge.

Im still gonna stick to my 308 Win. Ive had it for a long time and its never let me down.
Most of my hunting is still inside of 100 meters even though i practice longer ranges and all the calculations just for hobby sake. I also like that because it has such a following that it will always be available if factories ever have to decide on which ammunition to keep producing vs letting go dormant. I kinda feel like 308 Win would even outlast 3006 and 270 if that situation ever became reality. Who knows. Hopefully wont ever see that day.
Nothing wrong with a 308, or any cartridge for that matter. The only correct answer for which is the best cartridge is the one you can shoot the best because a .22 to the brain will stop a grizzly way faster than a 416 Rigby to the hind leg.

I like to shoot lots of bullets every year, so much so I've set up a reloading bench in my basement and one at my cabin where I do most of my hunting and target shooting. I have a minimum of 200 brass for each centerfire cartridge I shoot, some way more. I've been trying to cut back to only 3 different calibers so I have around 500-1500 bullets for each at any given time (it fluctuates), and enough powder I don't have to worry if it'll be available next season. This way I'm not too worried if the stores stop selling factory ammo. Plus I've got a couple 308's in the locker just in case, lol!

With that said, smaller bullets cost less, and I'm just getting into the 6.5 thing so I'm looking forward to see what this caliber is capable of...... if my rifle ever arrives.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Couple things...

I do not think you need any dial for your scope at all. Your 6x Leupold scope is a perfect all rounder. Spinning turrets is a pain in the arse in a hunting situation, at least in my opinion.

I would also say stay away from 180s for two reasons: you mention not liking recoil, and 165 is the sweet spot for an 06. For bullets I would suggest either 165 accubonds or 165 partitions. If you are set on Barnes, then go with the 150 gr TTSX, as you need the velocity to get optimal expansion with the Barnes.

Forget the 308. There is so little real world difference between the 308 and the 06 that it is not even worth mentioning. Unless you just want a new rifle which is not a bad thing either.

Lastly, if you do decide to get a 308 and someone tells you it is too small for elk or moose, tell them they have no clue of what they are talking about, and that they should continue watching Best of the West reruns.

Good luck.
I agree, to a tee