Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 11:45 AM

Default Safely Remove Live Primers

The need hasn't come up yet for me but is always a possibility for one reason or another . Those of you that have had to remove primers safely ( Safety Glasses On ) have you just used your deprimer die on your press , or have anyone used different method of accomplishing this task .
Old 04-03-2024, 11:53 AM

After I pulled some bullets, many years ago, I just ran the primed cases through the sizing die, to resize the necks, and no issues. Then I reprimed the cases with the same primers. I then realized, that I could have just backed off the depriming rod adjustment to resize the necks, without depriming the cases.
Now if you are talking factory loads with crimped primers, I would pull the bullets, pour out the powder, and fire the empty primed cases in your firearm

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-03-2024 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM

Just punch them out like normal, but go a bit slower.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:03 PM

Haven’t done it for a long time. But when I did I just fired the case with no powder or bullet and then decapped the spent primer . I know of a few stories that didn’t work out well for guys decapping live primers .

Last edited by fps plus; 04-03-2024 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:05 PM

and if you're super cautious - put a couple of drops of oil inside each case and let sit overnight to deactivate the primer
That said - I have deprimed without the oil and never had one go boom yet
Your mileage may vary
Old 04-03-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef612 View Post
and if you're super cautious - put a couple of drops of oil inside each case and let sit overnight to deactivate the primer
Your mileage may vary
If you aren't going to reuse the primers, just fire the primed cases in your firearm, and have zero risk. And you haven't contaminated the cases with oil.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef612 View Post
Your mileage may vary
The old wives tale recirculated one more time. Try it yourself! Water, oil, hoppes 9, wd40 don't work 98% will still go bang. Decap them gently, have done a great many that way, or fire them first if you want ultimate safety.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:00 PM

Default Run them through the decapping die

Have done this with lots. No issues. Take usual precautions.

Backing the decap pin off has allowed me to use the primed cases.

If you elect to fire them please clean the gun immediately after.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:04 PM

I've just run them through them through my resizing die and so far no issues. I was given the go ahead by someone that reloaded a lot longer than me and so far so good. I've often wondered about reusing the primers but so far I've only tossed them out.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Have done this with lots. No issues. Take usual precautions.

Backing the decap pin off has allowed me to use the primed cases.

If you elect to fire them please clean the gun immediately after.
Why would you need to clean the gun?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-03-2024, 07:59 PM

I always have primed cases, in ziplock bags on the bench. I've never had a problem with cases being primed, even sitting a year+.

I've knocked bullets out and recovered the powder many times, but never a primer.

I'm baffled as to why you'd ever have to remove the primers in the first place??
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 04-03-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
I always have primed cases, in ziplock bags on the bench. I've never had a problem with cases being primed, even sitting a year+.

I've knocked bullets out and recovered the powder many times, but never a primer.

I'm baffled as to why you'd ever have to remove the primers in the first place??
Winchester had some bad primers about 10 years ago. Primer case would allow gas to escape and damage bolt face. I got caught with some. Pull bullets , dump power and remove live primer.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:45 AM

No problem for me removing live primers, either on the press or the hand deprime tool.

I even re use them for range fodder after being pulled. That fodder sees no difference. Always have some campro tips for range fodder that the reused primers work great in.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:22 PM

I fired an empty mag primed shell once in my rifle about 45 years ago.
Did it in the basement in my reloading room as i thought i was the only one home
My brothers thought i shot my self and came running down . They were disappointed Lol
Basement was just full of smoke as i guess the primer does not burn so clean with out pressure . Cleaning the barrel was the worst part . Took many days to get it clean. Will never do that again .
Old 04-04-2024, 07:52 PM

I just removed a couple of live primers from some cases I had screwed up , no problems used the Lee decapping die and just went slow , they popped right out no problems , ready to use again
Old 04-06-2024, 01:17 PM

Removed many. Takes quite a specific hit in the right spot to ignite a primer. Just gently use your decapping die, use your brain and no need to over think it!
Old 04-06-2024, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
After I pulled some bullets, many years ago, I just ran the primed cases through the sizing die, to resize the necks, and no issues. Then I reprimed the cases with the same primers. I then realized, that I could have just backed off the depriming rod adjustment to resize the necks, without depriming the cases.
Now if you are talking factory loads with crimped primers, I would pull the bullets, pour out the powder, and fire the empty primed cases in your firearm
I have to be missing something... why remove the primer and then put it back? Pull the bullet, dump the powder, neck size (or resize without the decap pin), new powder, new bullet... why decap at all?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I have to be missing something... why remove the primer and then put it back? Pull the bullet, dump the powder, neck size (or resize without the decap pin), new powder, new bullet... why decap at all?

ARG
That was close to 50 years ago, when I had just started loading. And as I posted, I realized that it was unnecessary right after doing it. Now, if I need to pull bullets, I resize with the depriming rod backed off, so the primers stay in place.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:29 PM

Default no issue

I have deprimed lots of primers with zero issue,then re used them for new lods,again zero issue
Old 04-07-2024, 07:09 AM

With the scarcity and cost of primers these days, I save every one.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-07-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:

ARG
1. Neck sized before and loaded a batch, got another rifle in same caliber so pulled bullets and FL resized.

2. Bought a bunch of primed unloaded brass. Resized just in case.

3. Messed up brass during reload process. Never claimed to be perfect.

4. Misfires or light primer strikes from loading for old milsurps. Reuse primers for plinking.

5. Unused hand loads from ladder tests, reuse unfired primer in another caliber.

6. You must be fabulously rich to not reuse primers. Have you seen the prices lately?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Last edited by tranq78; 04-07-2024 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
1. Neck sized before and loaded a batch, got another rifle in same caliber so pulled bullets and FL resized.

2. Bought a bunch of primed unloaded brass. Resized just in case.

3. Messed up brass during reload process. Never claimed to be perfect.

4. Misfires or light primer strikes from loading for old milsurps. Reuse primers for plinking.

5. Unused hand loads from ladder tests, reuse unfired primer in another caliber.

6. You must be fabulously rich to not reuse primers. Have you seen the prices lately?
Just about all of that can be done without pulling the primers. I never said I don't reuse primers, I just leave them in the brass.

But I must say I wouldn't reuse primers that misfired.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Just about all of that can be done without pulling the primers. I never said I don't reuse primers, I just leave them in the brass.

But I must say I wouldn't reuse primers that misfired.

ARG
Ha! Should have mentioned this. Yes but I can now deburr flash holes. I can't always remember what batch gets deburred, so may as well do it. I only started deburring a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Last edited by tranq78; 04-07-2024 at 02:15 PM.