Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2019, 02:24 PM

How about tying all of Bergmans flies in his edition of Trout try using original materials.
Can be interesting project. Northern Lights did tinplate # 1 several yr. ago. Fun finding the right materials.

Also myself have been experimenting with Charles Krafts Kreelex minnow.

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S
Old 03-06-2019, 03:01 PM

Early season a water boatman pattern for trout in shallow water after the ice is off.

Also, some Dragon Fly Nymph patterns.

Drewski
Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 PM

I look at the off-season as a chance to practice techniques that make the flies better. For example, setting biot wings/tails on a prince nymph without a ton of thread.

As for patterns.. I live in Ontario, and have fly fished for trout here maybe 25+ years. When fishing in SW Alberta, I've found that allot of the smaller, low-riding emerger-type flies really perform well. In fact, I waited out a guy one night who was fishing for rising cutthroat with a massive foam thing. He was in a run I wanted to try before heading home, and I could see fish taking what looked like PMD emergers. No takers for him, so he reeled in and left. I found a CDC-winged, biot-body PMD in my fly box and using my nippers...cut the wing down about 2/3. First cast, a hefy cutty...and until dark, I spent more time landing fish than hooking the next one.

I'm a huge proponent of emergers, and looking for the signs of fish taking them. As such, flies like sparkle pupas are deadly and versatile. Even pond-fishing for stocked trout, a SP is one fly fish just can't seem to resist. lol Even if they don't take it dead-drift, impart a little action and/or swing at the end and hold on! Not the domain of 5X/6X tippet~the hits can be hard.

I tie another fly that works well as an attractor, an over-sized Griffith's Gnat with a copper bead head. Tied on a dry fly hook in size #16 with a few wraps of fine lead wire behind the bead to secure it.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:19 PM

I should add...I use dry fly hooks (with few exceptions) for both nymphs AND dries. They hold fish as well, hook better (my opinion) with smaller barbs to use or flatten, are less visible, feel sharper, easier TO sharpen, etc.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=Groundhogger;3943089]I look at the off-season as a chance to practice techniques that make the flies better. For example, setting biot wings/tails on a prince nymph without a ton of thread.

My nemesis - goose biots on Prince nymphs ! With my big, fat fingers, I simply can not get them on right. My next attempt will be to crazy glue them in the perfect crossed position before hand, let them completely dry, and then build the fly and try to attach them both at once.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=thumper;3943146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I look at the off-season as a chance to practice techniques that make the flies better. For example, setting biot wings/tails on a prince nymph without a ton of thread.

My nemesis - goose biots on Prince nymphs ! With my big, fat fingers, I simply can not get them on right. My next attempt will be to crazy glue them in the perfect crossed position before hand, let them completely dry, and then build the fly and try to attach them both at once.
I find the wrapping of the wire through the barbs of the double feathers when tying Matukas to be a pain. A lot of care has to be taken to ensure the barbs are not skewed out of position. I tie them, but rarely use them. Just think they look neat.
Also, tying Copper Johns without getting a "bump" in the wire can be trying. I flatten the end of the wire at the tie in point to minimize the bump.