Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-09-2019, 07:54 PM

On the firearms and ammo for sale in this forum it appears to be much busier than it's ever been from what i see and prices also appear lower. I bet a lot of lower offers are being accepted too.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Default interesting comparison

Firearms and ammo for sale posts by the last 3 days!

53 for the 7th of March, 2019 VS 10 for the 7th of March, 2017

36 for the 8th of March, 2019 VS 11 for the 8th of March, 2017

32 for the 9th of March, 2019 VS 8 for the 9th of March, 2017
Old 03-09-2019, 09:27 PM

Default then

There's the $1000 788 that's been re-barrelled ........like you are going to recover what you paid.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup some think the ol' enfield is a 600 dollar riffffle.....

Keep searching you will find someone sensible with what you want.
Well, some Enfields are worth twice that for sure - SOME Enfields , most aren’t !
Cat
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 AM

If ya think used prices are out to lunch here, you should try a gun show or three.
Your head will explode.

What’s a used gun worth?........
What somebody is willing to pay for it!
Welcome to the free market economy.

If you fail to do your homework, expect to get the odd bloody nose.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
Out of curiosity, who held that sale, and what are their fees?

I’ve never been to a gun auction, but have a couple of dozen pieces that I’m going to have part with before long and I absolutely detest packing and shipping. I’m either going to go with consigning them or perhaps auction if the fees aren’t too great.
Olds Auction Market, they generally have one or two a year. 30 % for the seller and a 10% buyers fee. Wards in Edmonton is another, about the same fee structure.

Grizz
Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Olds Auction Market, they generally have one or two a year. 30 % for the seller and a 10% buyers fee. Wards in Edmonton is another, about the same fee structure.

Grizz
Man, those fees are outrageous. If you REALLY don't want to sell the gun yourself I would seriously consider the deal Prophet River offers, no commission if you spend the sale price within the store.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Well, some Enfields are worth twice that for sure - SOME Enfields , most aren’t !
Cat
I like'em in the 150-200 buck range....not purdy but practical

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
What do you guys think about A/O doing an annual Outdoor Gear & Gun Sale/Swap ? Seems to me it could be viable.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
What do you guys think about A/O doing an annual Outdoor Gear & Gun Sale/Swap ? Seems to me it could be viable.
Include a turkey shoot to.

Pay 5 bucks per shoot, 5 shooters, 100 yards, front of rifle can be rested, highest score after three shots at a paper ringed target, 10 being a bullseye and rings go lower in number the further out....highest s ore per shoot gets a turkey...or just a swap meet.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Include a turkey shoot to.

Pay 5 bucks per shoot, 5 shooters, 100 yards, front of rifle can be rested, highest score after three shots at a paper ringed target, 10 being a bullseye and rings go lower in number the further out....highest s ore per shoot gets a turkey...or just a swap meet.

I was thinking in terms of a larger gear/gun sale.. similar to the Edmonton Gun Show, but based on Hunting/Fishing gear only.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Bought a real solid No. 4 for 190., buyers fee included, at the Olds sale. Of course, I had to wait all day.

Grizz
Old 03-11-2019, 11:54 PM

Funny how no one wants to do the work but they want their firearms for free.

If ya think there is so much money in gun shows please feel free to drop 5-6 grand on some rifles haul them around for weeks, months, years.... buy your hotel, fuel, meals, time away from home etc.... then listen to a wack of tall tales and how uncle Joe owned one years ago but he only paid $15 bucks at Sears for that .303. Or people who maybe interested in what you have, walk by because gossipers pick your table to have a tongue wag for 30 minutes....

As one seller said "buy high, sell low and make it up in volume"...
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Funny how no one wants to do the work but they want their firearms for free.

If ya think there is so much money in gun shows please feel free to drop 5-6 grand on some rifles haul them around for weeks, months, years.... buy your hotel, fuel, meals, time away from home etc.... then listen to a wack of tall tales and how uncle Joe owned one years ago but he only paid $15 bucks at Sears for that .303. Or people who maybe interested in what you have, walk by because gossipers pick your table to have a tongue wag for 30 minutes....

As one seller said "buy high, sell low and make it up in volume"...
Might just want to get out of the gun show game, doesn't sound like you are having any fun, from what you say you are not making money and sure don't seem that you have much respect for the guys that attend them. Probably not going to be a winning combination.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Shooting the sh*t is the best part of a gun show. Catch up with old friends, make new ones, educate a newby, and get educated by a vet. You get to try out some new models, or even old models that you've never seen before.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Might just want to get out of the gun show game, doesn't sound like you are having any fun, from what you say you are not making money and sure don't seem that you have much respect for the guys that attend them. Probably not going to be a winning combination.
Your a funny guy..
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Dean 2 you totally missed my point but that is ok....The OP asked why prices were so high I gave an example...Most people have ZERO idea what it takes or the time and money you spend to go to the "gunshows" Everyone wants garage sale prices but are not willing to go to the garage sale to find the deals.. Then they come on to forums like this and trash the very people who do put in the time to do the foot work...So maybe this will clear things up a bit. ?????
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 AM

I will lure you I. With a great deal on a rifle etc then start bringing out other items I want to sell.....make idle chat.....had a fella show up to buy a 17 rem BDL reloads, dies etc...700 bucks all in with a nice scope too...he left with a coach gun, some other die's etc way more than he initially wanted to....its business I guess but man when you ask too much initially you just loose the interest of the potential buyer and if you got other stuff to move well you lost that sale too....oh well some just don't get it.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:24 AM

Default 75 percent?

So, short answer here seems to be the buying price for a gun is generally some 75 percent of the asking price?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetRick View Post
So, short answer here seems to be the buying price for a gun is generally some 75 percent of the asking price?
Yes that's a good place to start.

Then adjust + or -

Based on condition

Availability has it been discontinued?
Is it the newest hottest on the market and demand exceeds supply ?
Is it chambered in an uncommon cartridge ?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetRick View Post
I would say 75% of NEW, as far as asking, I have never knocked 25% off an original asking price on an offer or on subsequent price drops. If a gun won't sell within 10% of what I think it is worth, I just hold onto it.

The OP was specifically talking about used gun prices on AO and other sites. No mention was made of gun show pricing, nor did I see comments from other posters about gun show pricing but there may well have been one or two. That said, the primary intent of the thread seems to have been to discuss used pricing on the Buy Sell forums.

With respect to missing your point, based on your subsequent explanation I guess I clearly did miss it. I sure did not get that from the first post you did, that one I read as you calling out many of the people that attend gun shows. I did not get that you were trying to clarify the costs, work, investment and expenses of the table holders that attend gun shows and the effect it has on used gun prices at the show.

Quote:
Default interesting comparison
Firearms and ammo for sale posts by the last 3 days!

53 for the 7th of March, 2019 VS 10 for the 7th of March, 2017

36 for the 8th of March, 2019 VS 11 for the 8th of March, 2017

32 for the 9th of March, 2019 VS 8 for the 9th of March, 2017

I think your numbers may be a little skewed. Many of us get our for sale posts deleted by the mods once we sell the gun. There may in fact be more guns for sale this year but I am not sure the numbers you have pulled are real accurate, except for the number for sale right now. Also, the number of for sale threads jumps big time on Thursday, Friday and Sat so time of the week has a big bearing too. I will say used prices do seem to have dropped ion the past 18 months, at least here on AO. CGN hasn't shown the same price reductions.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 AM

Speaking of buyers and Gun shows, there was a particularly nice rifle
laying on a table at the latest Edm Show. It stayed there for both days, virtually unnoticed and at an awesome price. I finally bought a "like new" Sauer 101 Classic /30-06 for less than the price of a new Savage Hunter.

I wonder how that happened.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Banned

I think its just silly that they delete anything. This could be a good data base so that buyers and sellers know what things are going for (Or at least asking price)
Any deleting does nothing but help sellers and takes away knowledge from buyers.

As to the OP.. I don't take the "On sale price" into account when selling a used rifle. List price is sufficient to figure things out.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I think its just silly that they delete anything. This could be a good data base so that buyers and sellers know what things are going for (Or at least asking price)
Any deleting does nothing but help sellers and takes away knowledge from buyers.

As to the OP.. I don't take the "On sale price" into account when selling a used rifle. List price is sufficient to figure things out.
You would rather try and sift through a bunch of ads that are already sold and the item is no longer available. That would make buying or selling way more frustrating. Further, just because someone advertises for a certain number, doesnt mean thats the price settled on, and the settled on price is not put onto the ad after it is sold.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
You would rather try and sift through a bunch of ads that are already sold and the item is no longer available. That would make buying or selling way more frustrating. Further, just because someone advertises for a certain number, doesnt mean thats the price settled on, and the settled on price is not put onto the ad after it is sold.
I know, I was speaking to the asking price. It's not perfect exact info but it's a heck of a starting point. A simple sold on the ad would be sufficient. If you're a "Buyer" and don't want this, I cant fix that level of carelessness.
It has to be be sellers that don't want this info out there. Thats the only people that deleting this info would benefit.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:38 AM

Two good reasons for deleting sold items, bandwith/storage for the site owner Second reason is my own convenience. Even putting sold in the headline you would not believe how many PMs I used to get from people asking if the item is still for sale. CGN has a standing rule that you can't have more than a couple of FS ads in any category so you pretty much have to delete your old threads if you want to sell something else.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Two good reasons for deleting sold items, bandwith/storage for the site owner Second reason is my own convenience. Even putting sold in the headline you would not believe how many PMs I used to get from people asking if the item is still for sale. CGN has a standing rule that you can't have more than a couple of FS ads in any category so you pretty much have to delete your old threads if you want to sell something else.
Bandwidth is one thing and I honestly don't know the in's and out's of that.
Something could be done about people bringing up old threads and bothering past sellers. It can be figured out.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I would say 75% of NEW, as far as asking, I have never knocked 25% off an original asking price on an offer or on subsequent price drops. If a gun won't sell within 10% of what I think it is worth, I just hold onto it.

The OP was specifically talking about used gun prices on AO and other sites. No mention was made of gun show pricing, nor did I see comments from other posters about gun show pricing but there may well have been one or two. That said, the primary intent of the thread seems to have been to discuss used pricing on the Buy Sell forums.

With respect to missing your point, based on your subsequent explanation I guess I clearly did miss it. I sure did not get that from the first post you did, that one I read as you calling out many of the people that attend gun shows. I did not get that you were trying to clarify the costs, work, investment and expenses of the table holders that attend gun shows and the effect it has on used gun prices at the show.

Lannie

I think your numbers may be a little skewed. Many of us get our for sale posts deleted by the mods once we sell the gun. There may in fact be more guns for sale this year but I am not sure the numbers you have pulled are real accurate, except for the number for sale right now. Also, the number of for sale threads jumps big time on Thursday, Friday and Sat so time of the week has a big bearing too. I will say used prices do seem to have dropped ion the past 18 months, at least here on AO. CGN hasn't shown the same price reductions.
There are way more for sale ads in the buy and sell now than before. There are also way less people posting in any of the other categories than in the past. Many start with high asking prices but many are willing to take substantially less. It is the best buyers market for firearms in many years in Alberta. Our province is having distress sales in many categories and if your looking for a deal, nows a great time. Unfortunately i think the deals will get "better" for the buyers up until the elections at least.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Many start with high asking prices but many are willing to take substantially less. It is the best buyers market for firearms in many years in Alberta. Our province is having distress sales in many categories and if your looking for a deal, nows a great time. Unfortunately i think the deals will get "better" for the buyers up until the elections at least.
I think you are spot on about it now being a buyers market here in Alberta, and probably Sask to some extent. I have to say I feel real sorry for guys that have to sell because of financial hardship. That should never be common in a place with all the advantages Alberta has. Friggin government(s) can find a way to screw up even the best situations.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
It is the best buyers market for firearms in many years in Alberta. Our province is having distress sales in many categories and if your looking for a deal, nows a great time. Unfortunately i think the deals will get "better" for the buyers up until the elections at least.
I think it will stay that way for a while. There has been a massive buying spree in the last 20 years spawned since the internet and sites like this have connected like minded people, drove interest and fostered sales like never before up until a few years ago. More gunsmiths, internet dealers galore. Just look at the Edmonton market, there was wholesale sports, P&D and a handful of others, then there was 2 wholesales, two Cabelas, most Canadian tire stores and gun sales flourished. Now Wholesale is gone, many of the mom and pop stores are gone. Our local gunshop out here closed a few years ago, our Canadian tire has little new inventory the last few years and the guns are not moving. Many many people bought and bought and now have more guns than they use, the market is saturated and the used market is flooded with people selling now that it is hard times in Alberta. Definitely a buyers market at least for run of the mill guns.