Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Question Cuba fishing tips

Hello all. I am going to Cuba on the 27th of March and i am preying that i will get the opportunity to do both freshwater and sal****er fishing. Any tips on lures for freshwater bass and anything living in the ocean. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share info. Hope to share pics and lifetime of memories.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:57 PM

Skip the fishing and go snorkeling. I never snorkeled in my life, but when we went to Cuba for our 25th I really checked out the resorts and picked ours based on the reports of a really good place to snorkel right on the resort. I was a little Leary about their equipment so I took a pair of swimming goggles just in case. Turns out that their equipment was crap, plus if there was a little chop on the water they just shut the snorkeling down. Anyway the goggles turned out to be Godsend, they had a beautiful reef just off of one the restaurants. After the first experience with their equipment I just used the goggles and swam. Wow, wow, and wow what an experience, just like on TV. Fish of every color and size you could imagine, I spent so much time swimming out on the ocean that I lost over 5lbs during our week there. That speaks of the food as well, we really don't know how good we have it here until we experience another land. I wore a tshirt and long shorts to swim in and used heavy duty sunscreen under my shirt, still burnt a little. Have fun and get to know the locals, they're wonderful fun loving people. God bless Cuba
Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Just got back from there a couple weeks ago. From what i understood it really depends on where you are as to the fishing. If your going to be in varadero, hit up the canal between the mainland and the "tourist area". A hook with some bait is all you need. The locals do it with handline. I chartered a boat to take me out, it was around 360$ for 5 hours on the water, and they supply all the beer. That price is for the boat too, so if you can find a couple guys, its not that expensive. Everyone said they wanted to go, but bailed out the day befor so i went by myself, ended up getting into 3 barracuda, only landed 1. It was about 3 1/2 feet and was awesome! I didnt venture far enough inland to do any fresh water fishing, but the bartender told me that the flies I had would work great there if i ever got a chance to come back. If your bringing your wife tell her to bring toilet paper, we kinda laughed when we heard that, and my wife regrets not listening. Have a good trip man, cuba is awesome!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

the time of year says the fishing wont be great. they didnt tell me until after they took my money that we likely wouldnt catch anything...and we didnt. along the canals on the hotel strip, several locals were catching all kings of neat loking fish. id check into what is required to fish for those. one guy got to yakking with me and let me use his gear. i caught a 16 inch needle looking thing....kinda looked like a skinny gar. i hope that wasnt illegal?

now, not fishing related, but the food is not real good there. what i wouldnt have paid for a bottle of franks red hot. i didnt get that tip until i got home. also, make sure you take some sandals for the beach. the sand is very coarse with a lot of broken shells and whatnot. otherwise have fun.....and steer clear of mojitos. even in cuba they are a pretty girly drink.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM

If your heading for Caca Coco, take a spinning out fit, 10 to 15lb lest some fine leaders and a variety of lures, bring lots as they make great introductions to the locals. Head out to the causeway and fish where ever you see the locals, or near the bridges. We did go out on a charter but not much luck. Bring a bottle of hot sauce, and some packs of ketchup/mustard.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Heading to Jibacoa at Easter. Is a fishing license required? Available where?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Default still looking for info

not to sure still trying to find that out. not real easy to find much info. i have found out that big baits are best. black worm power bait on a texas rig, large cranks and spinner baits are prefered. locals melt sneaker soles and add black oil in homemade molds to cast their wormes. big shiny rapalas and bait fishing are very common.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 PM

you dont need a licence. your allowed to fish wherever you want and whenever you want. Thats just one of the many things cuba has going for it. If you dont speak spanish bring a translation book, i sure wish i would have. I know one of the locals was trying to explain to me where to go to catch fish, but i couldnt understand his instructions very well.