Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Does it matter if I use mechanical or fixed?
Go for fixed, since thats what I use. I know I couldn't do it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Are you saying, a person who has never shot either weapon, can achieve similar results, in the same amount of time? Really?

There's no division in weapon choice at all... I accept all weapons in the general season, as do most of Albertans .
I indicated there is skill involved in all weapons and their intended results...

If you practice long enough with a sling shot, I am sure you could achieve the intended results you want

The division I speak of is we all know "how" the majority feel about this issue in the archery season. Same as when the compound was introduced and the traditional crowd voiced their opinions.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The next 3D archery tourney I should show up with a crossbow and see if they will let me compete....

LC
I am sure if there was enough interest, the club would accommodate the use of this weapon at their tourney..

Just think of the increase in participation, funds raised and friendships built by having an open mind and new class added to the events
Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I am sure if there was enough interest, the club would accommodate the use of this weapon at their tourney..

Just think of the increase in participation, funds raised and friendships built by having an open mind and new class added to the events
If a compound and a xbow are the same....then a new class would not be needed, just "brothers in arms" at the tourney.

If you see a guy at the tourney in Spruce Grove next weekend with a crossbow, come say hi!

LC
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
Go for fixed, since thats what I use. I know I couldn't do it.
I use the Excalibur brand - 150 gr Boltcutters. I wonder where they get them made? Heavier is better. My field points are 150 gr also.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
If a compound and a xbow are the same....then a new class would not be needed, just "brothers in arms" at the tourney.

If you see a guy at the tourney in Spruce Grove next weekend with a crossbow, come say hi!

LC
Never indicated the x-bow and compound are the same as you put it...

Your idea of a new class, well at the 3D shoots, there are many categories and NO these tourney's do not feel the love as you put "brothers in arms"..

Explained as....

Tourney rules:

Your age will place you in a category
Your Bow type will place you in a category, Compound, Recurve, Barebow
Your Draw weight will place you in a category, under 40, 40 - 60 or over 60
Your sight will place you in a category, no sight, sight without level or magnification, or sight with level and magnification
Your stabilizer will place you in a category, none, one under 12", or over 12"or more than one.
Your method with place you in a category, release or fingers..

So this tourney your speaking about, no categories there ?

Be nice to see all who attend compete as "brothers in arms"
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I indicated there is skill involved in all weapons and their intended results...

If you practice long enough with a sling shot, I am sure you could achieve the intended results you want

The division I speak of is we all know "how" the majority feel about this issue in the archery season. Same as when the compound was introduced and the traditional crowd voiced their opinions.
When the compound was introduced? I'm pretty sure both weapons were being used when the archery season was first created, I was unaware that compounds weren't allowed in the initial archery season......unless you got some facts I don't...please explain, with your facts?

Last edited by pottymouth; 06-13-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Banned

Lefty, tourney is different, just paper punching, different classes even for compounds...hunter class, open class etc.

Where they r the same s in the field, hunting, on game, harvest percentage stats from everywhere they hunt together show they r no different.

Ehuntr, all those apparent advantages you listed r not advantages as u suggest, they r differences, but the differences in using a compound can very easily be listed and portrayed as advantages also. We go round and round every thread. Same topic twists and turns. There is no getting around it, always comes back to being just another bow when it translates to hunting....it's not going to be some miracle tool just because it's Alberta. Pure silliness.

And x1000 what sledhead said...good idea really, may do wonders to bring the TOOL some acceptance among us hunters/brothers!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
The next 3D archery tourney I should show up with a crossbow and see if they will let me compete....

LC
Go freehand like everyone else and see how u do lol.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you saying, a person who has never shot either weapon, can achieve similar results, in the same amount of time?
Pretty close to same amount of time to be proficient inside your 40 yrd limit potty. I've had guys drilling compound very well at 40 yards in 20 minutes. U saying compounds r hard now? Good lord, release, peep, pins....u got trigger, front and rear sights, the longest part is getting draw length sorted.

Another moot argument after another, they r too similar in end results, there is no in field advantage on game, well documented.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Lefty, tourney is different, just paper punching, different classes even for compounds...hunter class, open class etc.

Where they r the same s in the field, hunting, on game, harvest percentage stats from everywhere they hunt together show they r no different.

Ehuntr, all those apparent advantages you listed r not advantages as u suggest, they r differences, but the differences in using a compound can very easily be listed and portrayed as advantages also. We go round and round every thread. Same topic twists and turns. There is no getting around it, always comes back to being just another bow when it translates to hunting....it's not going to be some miracle tool just because it's Alberta. Pure silliness.

And x1000 what sledhead said...good idea really, may do wonders to bring the TOOL some acceptance among us hunters/brothers!
Ok ok stinky.... No different eh!

Let me come with you, out to your spots. I'll hunt beside you, you with your compound me with a xgun. In one of your open spots down south, for giant muleys.....

Do you believe we will be shooting from the same spot at the same time at the same distance, in the same position ?

If yes! Accept the challenge and let's do it this fall! What do you say?

And don't worry about me gettingte permit, for the xgun during the archery season. I know a doctor who will give the paper work tat Esrd requires, and I don't even have to lie about my numerous shoulder and arm injuries....
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Pretty close to same amount of time to be proficient inside your 40 yrd limit potty. I've had guys drilling compound very well at 40 yards in 20 minutes. U saying compounds r hard now? Good lord, release, peep, pins....u got trigger, front and rear sights, the longest part is getting draw length sorted.

Another moot argument after another, they r too similar in end results, there is no in field advantage on game, well documented.
I'm saying xguns are easier..... 40 yards proficient punching paper like you said! How about seated or wrong side, or -30... Lifting a gun and shooting does not compare to drawing a bow in any of those and more situations.

But I'll humour you...lets bet $100 . We will find someone who has not shot either weapon, set them up and see how many shots it takes to get a 10x at 20. Yards..... If the xgun is faster than the bow you pay me.....

Want to put your money where your mouth is?

That's two bets!?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
If a crossbow were legal in the archery season I would always use it in a treestand or blind.
It's a choice, not the most versatile choice but a choice, don't catch a twig in flight or jerk the trigger or bounce a limb off the side of window in blind or tree branch from treestand or get caught having to freehand one from treestand if the rail wont turn with u 90 degree to shoot that toad that just came in way to the right of u lol, as if u have one little mishap and miss....you'll be wishin u had that compound back in your hands, too funny. Get huntin with it if u think it's so much more awesome than compound then let us know how special it really is, all time, every situation etc etc.

Cracks me, yup u can take 5 min to load and fire 3 good and noisy shots for a good group at 100 where guys that practice there with compounds will unload their quiver into a kill zone before u can get your second shot off, I love it, all these perceived advantages, think it thru, yup that paper would be dead alright, eventually ha ha....but the real animals in real hunting? Ya...I'll take my compound every time...still nice to have the option but it's not for serious hunters most of the time. Can it fill needs and holes....sure, that's the point, it's no prime choice tho....the compound rules due to it's supreme versatility.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Banned

Potty, r u saying that if allowed in Alberta to hunt with compounds all these apparent advantages will somehow show themselves where everywhere else they have proven to simply be differences and not advantages?

Potty I'd have schit dead before u even saw it. Pretty hard to compare tools with two different hunters...u know why right? Remember, it's almost all hunter, the tool has very little to do with it, with like tools....and these r like tools. If I'm guiding u onto my critters it's all me, and there lies the rub, if u r a good closer u will do fine at crunch time, I'm a fairly good closer so don't have to worry bout me. You got both tools, give a couple years hunting to the crossbow and tell us what u think. I could run person after person to nice groups on a gong at 500m with rifles too and maybe a bunch would think they r ready to hunt and kill at that range...but we all know the ending to that story right? Very few will kill at that distance and even fewer will do it consistently....this applies to both compounds and crossbows, on game, hunting....same diff.

Sorry, thought the hunt challenge was from ehuntr, edited, potty, we will achieve same thing if we just have an old fashioned pizzing contest. I'll concede to your youth but could be a good run after a half dozen freshies.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 06-13-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 PM

Page three N counting...I will be close...he he
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Potty, r u saying that if allowed in Alberta to hunt with compounds all these apparent advantages will somehow show themselves where everywhere else they have proven to simply be differences and not advantages?

Potty I'd have schit dead before u even saw it. Pretty hard to compare tools with two different hunters...u know why right? Remember, it's almost all hunter, the tool has very little to do with it, with like tools....and these r like tools. If I'm guiding u onto my critters it's all me, and there lies the rub, if u r a good closer u will do fine at crunch time, I'm a fairly good closer so don't have to worry bout me. You got both tools, give a couple years hunting to the crossbow and tell us what u think. I could run person after person to nice groups on a gong at 500m with rifles too and maybe a bunch would think they r ready to hunt and kill at that range...but we all know the ending to that story right? Very few will kill at that distance and even fewer will do it consistently....this applies to both compounds and crossbows, on game, hunting....same diff.

Sorry, thought the hunt challenge was from ehuntr, edited, potty, we will achieve same thing if we just have an old fashioned pizzing contest. I'll concede to your youth but could be a good run after a half dozen freshies.
So does this mean you don't want accept pottys chalange and loose $100?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Lord you are obstinate. Since when are the advantages that I listed not advantages? If it's -40 outside I can wear the bulkiest clothing I want and it won't conflict with the operation of my crossbow. If I can hold on an animal, with a crossbow, for an idefinate period of time, that is clearly an advantage over a bow. Look up advantage in the dictionary will ya. All those advantages I listed....they are all advantages. Difference......a crossbow is drawn and locked whereas a bow is drawn and released using muscle power. That is a difference. The advantage is clearly in favour of the crossbow when used in a tree stand. The advantage is clearly in favour of the bow when stalking or still hunting. Is there something wrong with me pointing out the obvious advantages of a crossbow? Why must it be downplayed in your mind?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
It's a choice, not the most versatile choice but a choice, don't catch a twig in flight or jerk the trigger or bounce a limb off the side of window in blind or tree branch from treestand or get caught having to freehand one from treestand if the rail wont turn with u 90 degree to shoot that toad that just came in way to the right of u lol, as if u have one little mishap and miss....you'll be wishin u had that compound back in your hands, too funny. Get huntin with it if u think it's so much more awesome than compound then let us know how special it really is, all time, every situation etc etc.

Cracks me, yup u can take 5 min to load and fire 3 good and noisy shots for a good group at 100 where guys that practice there with compounds will unload their quiver into a kill zone before u can get your second shot off, I love it, all these perceived advantages, think it thru, yup that paper would be dead alright, eventually ha ha....but the real animals in real hunting? Ya...I'll take my compound every time...still nice to have the option but it's not for serious hunters most of the time. Can it fill needs and holes....sure, that's the point, it's no prime choice tho....the compound rules due to it's supreme versatility.
This is all blah, twigs, branches, jerks trigger, blah blah blah. Your telling me to hunt with it? I do hunt with it. I'm the guy with the crossbow who hunts with it Stinky. I have many, many, many, many, blown oportunitites with a compound, where the perfect tool would have been.............drumrolllllllllllllllllllllllllll lll. MY CROSSBOW. A crossbow is far superior in a tree stand. If you can't come to accept that then you don't really know much about a crossbow after all. I can at least double the amount of arrows that you fire off with your compound......using my longbows or recurves. It cracks me up when I'm lined up next to compound shooters on a range. They are so serious......take up position, locate the target, knock an arrow, draw, settle in, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus lol. The release is so anti-climactic. Hey, I'm one of those too Stinky. But as far as versatility, you've got that wrong too.........trad bows are the best at being the most versatile.

Who needs a second shot with a crossbow? Really? Stinky, use whatever you want, whatever you think is best.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:

LOL. Drilling 40 yards in 20 minutes. These same guys, the next day or the next week wouldn't know what to do if their peep sight shifted, or their arrow rest shifted, or for some reason couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a broadhead, or somehow their form shifted, blah, blah, blah. Nube to skilled archer in one day........crack me up Stinky. Guys want crossbows so that they don't have to deal with that Stinky.

The transition from rifle to crossbow........now that is where similar skills are most easily transferred. You got stock, trigger, scope.....what else has to be sorted out?

Last edited by CNP; 06-13-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Page three N counting...I will be close...he he
Where is the
Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:

blah blah blah....Lets put our money where our mouths are!

But, I will agree that the hunter does have more to do with the hunt than the tool! So, i'm willing to put the xgun in the hands of someone with not as much experience as me, to give you a chance( I know unfair of me to put you up against an old pro, like myself )

Fudge your stats, and everything on the board... let's put a live test up!

If I lose I won't ever call them xguns again too! for added incentive.....

Make the bet !!!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

LC
I bet that someone would take the challenge. There's a fella out at the lake that competes in those shoots with his super blinged up compound bow that consistently gets better groups than I can with my crossbow. Yup, I'd definitely like to see that one.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
So does this mean you don't want accept pottys chalange and loose $100?
I'll just give potty a crisp brownie and save everyone lots of time, most importantly mine, whether he'd win the bet or not depending on a zillion factors as hunting goes is moot, the tools r close enough that if the hunters r close enough it could go either way any day. However, don't kid yourself if potty really thought it was that big of advantage he'd have that dr's note and run a crossbow. It's all fun....kids finally in bed and so I am...not diggin the iPad with so many fun retorts to type! Agree that dr's note would not be tough to come by potty, know two myself I'm sure would be happy to help...no need, no want. I figured out how to tag out with a compound in season one but I'm not special, they aren't very hard to shoot, the key was I was born to hunt and had always done it so didn't take long to get brown down. No desire to change, quite love drawing in presence of game, sone think it's hard, maybe it is? I love to shoot the compounds and hunt with em. Still not scared of crossbow, poses no threat to me.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 06-13-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lord you are obstinate. Since when are the advantages that I listed not advantages? If it's -40 outside I can wear the bulkiest clothing I want and it won't conflict with the operation of my crossbow.
Lol, it's -40 and it's November and everyone using a rifle....cept bow zones and the bow zones could very easily handle the crossbow inclusion. Although betcha 100 bucks that November hits and half the bow zone guys grab rifle and head out of bow zone. Omg this is fun. Just think ehuntr, the laughs over some drinks etc....back and forth...good stuff.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
blah blah blah....Lets put our money where our mouths are!

But, I will agree that the hunter does have more to do with the hunt than the tool! So, i'm willing to put the xgun in the hands of someone with not as much experience as me, to give you a chance( I know unfair of me to put you up against an old pro, like myself )

Fudge your stats, and everything on the board... let's put a live test up!

If I lose I won't ever call them xguns again too! for added incentive.....

Make the bet !!!
Potty, it may bug some u call it a cross gun, I like your steadfast stance on using the term, I'm ok with it as makes me chuckle, maybe another would like to see u stop using the term and take u up. If u wanna put a rookie against me with a compound you'd have better chance of winning bet if he had a centerfire rifle, my caveat would be he finds his own schit to kill and I find mine....no guides. You crack me up. At least u admitting it's far more hunter than tool....it's a start!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL. Drilling 40 yards in 20 minutes. These same guys, the next day or the next week wouldn't know what to do if their peep sight shifted, or their arrow rest shifted, or for some reason couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a broadhead, or somehow their form shifted, blah, blah, blah. Nube to skilled archer in one day........crack me up Stinky. Guys want crossbows so that they don't have to deal with that Stinky.

The transition from rifle to crossbow........now that is where similar skills are most easily transferred. You got stock, trigger, scope.....what else has to be sorted out?
Not much, thats the point you r missing, nice to have the option available to Alberta residents with a wildlife certificate eh? Still gotta get within bow range, still gotta bow hunt. Don't ya see potty....it's win win for hunting period, including Alberta. Why deny a simpler bow option? Just to keep our numbers smaller and opportunity potentially greater? Pure silliness, pure selfishness. You seem to think all compound guys will switch and all rifle hunters will suddenly become bowhunters and everyone snapping off 100yrd kills easy enough 3 yr olds could do it. Yet nowhere they get included does it even remotely get close to that...it just turns out to everyone's amazement I'm sure that the crossbow is just another bow option...nothing more. And in the end most will choose the compound, as they do where they r both allowed play...because it's the most versatile.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is all blah, twigs, branches, jerks trigger, blah blah blah. Your telling me to hunt with it? I do hunt with it. I'm the guy with the crossbow who hunts with it Stinky. I have many, many, many, many, blown oportunitites with a compound, where the perfect tool would have been.............drumrolllllllllllllllllllllllllll lll. MY CROSSBOW. A crossbow is far superior in a tree stand. If you can't come to accept that then you don't really know much about a crossbow after all. I can at least double the amount of arrows that you fire off with your compound......using my longbows or recurves. It cracks me up when I'm lined up next to compound shooters on a range. They are so serious......take up position, locate the target, knock an arrow, draw, settle in, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus lol. The release is so anti-climactic. Hey, I'm one of those too Stinky. But as far as versatility, you've got that wrong too.........trad bows are the best at being the most versatile.
I would agree with u on speed to shot with traditional gear, unsure how the traditional guys ever allowed the compound to play in the first place...pretty big jump. This here deal is but a mere baby step in comparison. But let's see who gets the first three into kill zone at 60 with me and compound vs you and yer recurve. I'm set up to hunt and speed to shot has always been important to me, I run anchor sight instead of peep etc. And i'm not recurve quick but I'm about as quick as compound guys aiming with sights is gonna be....hunter vs tool stuff though. I know plenty of rookies that seem to take forever to find game in a scope and finally find a stable enough position to feel comfortable taking a shot on an animal....but something tells me the crossbow solves all those things and the game just jumps in back of truck and guts itself right? Oh the mighty power of the crossbow. The dream tool, the weapon we've always dreamed about....oh I can't wait, how so much easier it will be to kill stuff just because of this magical weapon....LOL.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 06-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Not much, thats the point you r missing, nice to have the option available to Alberta residents with a wildlife certificate eh? Still gotta get within bow range, still gotta bow hunt. Don't ya see potty....it's win win for hunting period, including Alberta. Why deny a simpler bow option? Just to keep our numbers smaller and opportunity potentially greater? Pure silliness, pure selfishness. You seem to think all compound guys will switch and all rifle hunters will suddenly become bowhunters and everyone snapping off 100yrd kills easy enough 3 yr olds could do it. Yet nowhere they get included does it even remotely get close to that...it just turns out to everyone's amazement I'm sure that the crossbow is just another bow option...nothing more. And in the end most will choose the compound, as they do where they r both allowed play...because it's the most versatile.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very creative (nice for BS)

Quote:
I would agree with u on speed to shot with traditional gear, unsure how the traditional guys ever allowed the compound to play in the first place...pretty big jump. This here deal is but a mere baby step in comparison. But let's see who gets the first three into kill zone at 60 with me and compound vs you and yer recurve. I'm set up to hunt and speed to shot has always been important to me, I run anchor sight instead of peep etc. And i'm not recurve quick but I'm about as quick as compound guys aiming with sights is gonna be....hunter vs tool stuff though. I know plenty of rookies that seem to take forever to find game in a scope and finally find a stable enough position to feel comfortable taking a shot on an animal....but something tells me the crossbow solves all those things and the game just jumps in back of truck and guts itself right? Oh the mighty power of the crossbow. The dream tool, the weapon we've always dreamed about....oh I can't wait, how so much easier it will be to kill stuff just because of this magical weapon....LOL.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good imagination (nice words for BS).
Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I'll just give potty a crisp brownie and save everyone lots of time, most importantly mine, whether he'd win the bet or not depending on a zillion factors as hunting goes is moot, the tools r close enough that if the hunters r close enough it could go either way any day. However, don't kid yourself if potty really thought it was that big of advantage he'd have that dr's note and run a crossbow. It's all fun....kids finally in bed and so I am...not diggin the iPad with so many fun retorts to type! Agree that dr's note would not be tough to come by potty, know two myself I'm sure would be happy to help...no need, no want. I figured out how to tag out with a compound in season one but I'm not special, they aren't very hard to shoot, the key was I was born to hunt and had always done it so didn't take long to get brown down. No desire to change, quite love drawing in presence of game, sone think it's hard, maybe it is? I love to shoot the compounds and hunt with em. Still not scared of crossbow, poses no threat to me.
If I was the advantage type, I'd take up rifle hunting. I've used a bow since I was 4 yrs old. Again there's no fear mongering about xguns in my voice. They just are NOT a bow.... Just like I don't think monkeys are human either

Quote:
Potty, it may bug some u call it a cross gun, I like your steadfast stance on using the term, I'm ok with it as makes me chuckle, maybe another would like to see u stop using the term and take u up. If u wanna put a rookie against me with a compound you'd have better chance of winning bet if he had a centerfire rifle, my caveat would be he finds his own schit to kill and I find mine....no guides. You crack me up. At least u admitting it's far more hunter than tool....it's a start!
Again Stinky, obviously you don't read my posts.. You my skim but not read...I never said it's not about the hunters ability... The question isn't if the arrows vs bolt's performances are similar...I thought were past this...... Most people are arguing the weapon it's self..... is it or isn't a bow? and what advantages it has on the bow......... That's where im stuck...and again Albertan's and the Government agree with the majority of people....

Get me a gift card for that $100, to my favorite archery shop!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Banned

Ehuntr, I'm pretty fun after a few coronas and some vino eh?

Potty, u r almost there, The last step is simply realizing in the name of hunting...these things u r calling advantages r actually just differences and the compound has it's own apparent advantages but when they hunt together...just differences. Almost there boys....I can taste it!