Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2014, 08:41 AM

Default Alberta Hunter Training (AHEIA)

Hey guys,

Got a buddy who wants to come out hunting with me this year, however hasn't done his hunter training yet. I was going to get him set up for the online course tonight. Anyone know how long it takes to hammer it out online?. When I did mine 5 or 6 years ago, it wasn't offered online and we had to sit in a class for a few days. Also, once complete, does he have to wait until the certificate comes in the mail (3-4 Weeks according to the website) or can we go buy his bird license right away?.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

My son did his this year, 11yrs old, I think there is 12 moduals, took him two or three days, I would guess 4-6hrs then the test took him about 35min.

He did it all on his own and got 88%. I wish he could do that with math.... Lol.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 AM

I done the course in an evening, 3 hours or so. And no, you don't need to wait for the cert, you don't have to physically show anyone when you check the little box to allow your WIN card to allow you to buy hunting licenses
Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I done the course in an evening, 3 hours or so. And no, you don't need to wait for the cert, you don't have to physically show anyone when you check the little box to allow your WIN card to allow you to buy hunting licenses
Awesome! So he can come hunting with me this weekend then?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
My son did his this year, 11yrs old, I think there is 12 moduals, took him two or three days, I would guess 4-6hrs then the test took him about 35min.

He did it all on his own and got 88%. I wish he could do that with math.... Lol.
Seems much easier than when I did it...we were in a class for 2 or 3 days from 8-5 each day lol good on him though, thats impressive at that age!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
That has changed... from http://albertaregulations.ca/hunting...finitions.html

Quote:
NOTE: Beginning 2014 all new first-time hunters who have qualified for obtaining recreational hunting licences by successfully completing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course, will be required to provide on their WIN application form, their hunter certificate number that is issued to each course graduate, in order to be eligible to purchase a hunting licence.
I don't know if you get your "certificate number" online after you pass the test.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 AM

My buddy did his this past week. Once he finished the exam, a screen pops up telling you your passing grade. He took a pic of it with his phone and presented that to the licence issuer with no problems.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I don't know if you get your "certificate number" online after you pass the test.
No you don't. My roommate just finished his the other night and I didn't think to tell him to take a picture of his test result, like someone else mentioned.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM

My friend just did his this year. It was 3-4 weeks to get the certificate after passing the test, so if you are hunting in November it shouldn't be a problem if your friend works quickly.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Where did he sign up? Everywhere I've tried to get my nephew signed up or registered won't let him until he is 12.
This leads me to a much bigger problem which I'll explain once I get an answer. (long story)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Where did he sign up? Everywhere I've tried to get my nephew signed up or registered won't let him until he is 12.
This leads me to a much bigger problem which I'll explain once I get an answer. (long story)
I don't think he needs to be twelve, maybe just needs a win card? We signed up online with no issues. My son had a win card already. With the way kids are so computer savvy these days, to do the course online was great for him, he just hooked up a set of ear buds to the laptop and he was quiet for hours. Being my shirt tail his entire life I almost think he could have challenged the exam and still would have passed. The only weak part for him was waterfowl, being I'm not a waterfowler myself.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think he needs to be twelve, maybe just needs a win card? We signed up online with no issues. My son had a win card already. With the way kids are so computer savvy these days, to do the course online was great for him, he just hooked up a set of ear buds to the laptop and he was quiet for hours. Being my shirt tail his entire life I almost think he could have challenged the exam and still would have passed. The only weak part for him was waterfowl, being I'm not a waterfowler myself.
Funny, as soon as he filled in his birth date and hit enter, it kicked him out and said he wasn't eligible to take the course yet.

The reason this is bugging me is that my son's birthday is in the middle of November. He's only two now but I'm thinking ahead.

The way I remember it is that if you were going to turn legal age anytime during the hunting season, you could apply on draws for that upcoming season.
With the new system, you have to be eligible to purchase a hunting licence in Alberta to continue with the draw entry process.
If he doesn't have a completed course, he has no number to enter and cannot enter draws. Therefore he misses a year of draw priorities at the very least.
That's my issue.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 09-03-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Funny, as soon as he filled in his birth date and hit enter, it kicked him out and said he wasn't eligible to take the course yet.
Huh, I don't know what to tell you. Both my son and nephew took the test at 11. My nephew took it two years ago and my son took it this summer. Unless this is something that literally just changed.

Will your nephew be old enough (12) this hunting season? My son is twelve this month
Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Huh, I don't know what to tell you. Both my son and nephew took the test at 11. My nephew took it two years ago and my son took it this summer. Unless this is something that literally just changed.

Will your nephew be old enough (12) this hunting season? My son is twelve this month
Edited post above. And Yes, in October.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Edited post above. And Yes, in October.
Reading your post above, that is correct. My son could get his license but was not eligible to apply for any draws this year.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Reading your post above, that is correct. My son could get his license but was not eligible to apply for any draws this year.
That's gotta change IMO.
A youngster use to be able to, but with the new system, they can't.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 AM

Well we got my buddy started last night....4 hours in and still have 3 full modules to go tonight...not really a short program by any means as we were skipping through quite a bit of the gun and bow stuff (he's been shooting for years). Hoping to get it done tonight and get him his first bird this weekend. It's been so many years since I did mine, does anyone remember how much identification of animals, gun stuff, etc is on the final exam?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Sorry, a little off topic but do I have to do a sit in course for my Pal or can I do it online....I did not see anything about doing it online..

Thank you
Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Sorry, a little off topic but do I have to do a sit in course for my Pal or can I do it online....I did not see anything about doing it online..

Thank you
PAL has to be in person. We did ours with a retired RCMP officer in his home. The test requires handling weapons.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
PAL has to be in person. We did ours with a retired RCMP officer in his home. The test requires handling weapons.
Just as I thought....Thanks for the quick reply
Old 09-04-2014, 10:51 AM

The exam isn't that bad, 100 multiple choice questions. Not alot on the identification, but some for birds/big game. While it may take a month to get the certificate, your friend can phone aheia the day after completing the exam and they can provide him his cert number over the phone (the system will create it over night).
Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
The exam isn't that bad, 100 multiple choice questions. Not alot on the identification, but some for birds/big game. While it may take a month to get the certificate, your friend can phone aheia the day after completing the exam and they can provide him his cert number over the phone (the system will create it over night).
Awesome, we will call tomorrow. He finished tonight with a 95%.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Well done. I actually need to phone them also today to get my sons number. He did his exam last weekend.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Awesome, we will call tomorrow. He finished tonight with a 95%.
You need to phone the Edmonton office 1 866 282 4342
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
You need to phone the Edmonton office 1 866 282 4342
Perfect, appreciate it!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:39 PM

Can anybody tell me if the manual for the online course is the same manual from 10 years ago when we had to do the course in a class? My girlfriend is wanting to get it but there's a cheaper version without the manual. Just wondering if you can use the old manual with the new course?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyboy95 View Post
Can anybody tell me if the manual for the online course is the same manual from 10 years ago when we had to do the course in a class? My girlfriend is wanting to get it but there's a cheaper version without the manual. Just wondering if you can use the old manual with the new course?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I am not sure if its the same manual, but they go over most of the info on the videos you have to watch. if you do those and review the regs you should be pretty good without the book.

I didn't buy the book option, its an extra $25.00 for the book and If you need to rewrite its also $25.00 so I figured I had 2 chances to pass if needed.

passed on the first try with 90%, that was 2 years ago.

It was the bird info that I got most of my questions wrong on
Old 01-16-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Got a buddy who wants to come out hunting with me this year, however hasn't done his hunter training yet. I was going to get him set up for the online course tonight. Anyone know how long it takes to hammer it out online?. When I did mine 5 or 6 years ago, it wasn't offered online and we had to sit in a class for a few days. Also, once complete, does he have to wait until the certificate comes in the mail (3-4 Weeks according to the website) or can we go buy his bird license right away?.

Thanks!
Two three hours if he tries
Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
I am not sure if its the same manual, but they go over most of the info on the videos you have to watch. if you do those and review the regs you should be pretty good without the book.

I didn't buy the book option, its an extra $25.00 for the book and If you need to rewrite its also $25.00 so I figured I had 2 chances to pass if needed.

passed on the first try with 90%, that was 2 years ago.

It was the bird info that I got most of my questions wrong on
Don’t worry about the book. My son did it in 3 days, a couple hours a day, and he didn’t need the book.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM

Book is the same.