Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 08:57 PM

Default RV Battery advice needed

Hoping there are some RV battery experts out there. Just bought a bumper pull and it will need a new battery or two.

Brother says I should buy 6V versus 12V batteries? Good advice?

Are there advantages with the AGM type batteries versus the old flooded type?

Quick look around the area and I see 6V AGM for anywhere from $ 200 - $350.00. Seems expensive to me but maybe not.

And my last dumb question. Do I have to run two batteries or can I just go with one? Trailer has the usual appliances, fridge, furnace, and indoor/outdoor lights. Won't be running a tv. Has AC but I don't see using that much.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Hoping there are some RV battery experts out there. Just bought a bumper pull and it will need a new battery or two.

Quick look around the area and I see 6V AGM for anywhere from $ 200 - $350.00. Seems expensive to me but maybe not.

And my last dumb question. Do I have to run two batteries or can I just go with one? Trailer has the usual appliances, fridge, furnace, and indoor/outdoor lights. Won't be running a tv. Has AC but I don't see using that much.

I will swear by Costco batteries....I buy rv batteries and just bought two for my vehicles...Never had to warranty them...lasted at least 5-8 years...

just my 2 cents...
Old 12-30-2017, 09:22 PM

I bought 2 6 volt batteries from Costco this spring. They are made by Interstate Battery at least down here in Montana. I think I paid around 80$ each for them.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

I run 2 rv batteries, 12 volt in mine, always have. The tv (IF ITS 110) has nothing to do with the batteries and neither does the AC
Old 12-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Banned

I run two sixers and they work fabulously. I’ll have a boo cause they are on the shelve beside me...US 2000 Xc. They must be good becuase I see Stars and Stripes all over them😎
Old 12-30-2017, 09:35 PM

If your going to use 6 volt you have to have 2 to make your 12 volts, I run 4 6 volt with a 150 solar panel to keep them charged up, I dry camp a lot. It all depends where you are camping, if your going to be plugged into power most of the time 1 12 volt is probably all you need, if your dry camping 6 volts will last longer
Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 PM

2 12v Kirkland deep cycles in mine, all the power we need. Cheap too.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:39 PM

Appreciate the advice gents. Some good suggestions. I don't think I'll be parking it a lot of places where I'll be plugged in. Just some weekends near a lake for my grandaughter and some fishing, and of course scouting/hunting late fall on.

The unit has solar panels installed to keep things sparky when the suns adequate and I plan on picking up a 200oW inverter generator.

Xbolt..I know next to nothing about RV camping. Always been a tent guy, so the batteries are basically just for lights? AC requires being plugged in or the use of a generator yes? Same for coffee maker and microwave I assume.

Furnace when required can run off DC for some time?

Looks like I'll be needing a Costco membership.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 PM

Another plus to using two six volts opposed to one twelve volt is, if a single cell fails in a twelve volt you have to replace the battery. With two six volt batteries, if a single cell fails, you only have to replace one six volt battery which is less expensive.
Two six volt batteries will also be able to cycle through charge/discharge more times than a single twelve volt will.
They will also usually have more amperage together than a single twelve volt will.
It's similar to having a small motor in a truck pulling a trailer. It will do it, but will it do it as well as a truck with a larger engine and will it last as long?

I'm no battery expert but that's the way it was explained to me.
I fully admit I could be completely off my rocker.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Two six volt batteries will also be able to cycle through charge/discharge more times than a single twelve volt will.

They will also usually have more amperage together than a single twelve volt will.
I think those are the reasons my brother gave for going 2 x 6 over 12 as well.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:02 AM

Definitely recommend the 2 6 volts for all the reasons mentioned above. You can use your batteries to run ac powered items like the microwave, tv or coffeemaker by installing an appropriate sized power inverter. I have a 1500 watt in mine and it allows me to use the microwave when not hooked up to power or running my generator.

When hooking your 2 6volts together, use a heavy gauge cable. I use welding cable.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:15 AM

Maintain your batteries, check the electrolyte a couple times per season, even the so called "maintenance free" batteries need some TLC. Bring the batteries in outta the cold and putting them on a battery maintainer through the winter, this will increase their life and reliability.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-31-2017, 05:47 AM

Go with two 12 volts ,the price in the long run is not worth the two 6 volts,the 12 will last a long time if checked for fluid levels and stored and charge every few months,carry a box of baking soda and some vinegar incase one cracks and you need to cleanup the acid in the battery compartment ,cover with baking soda and rinse with vinegar after that just water.Plus go with a good inverter and extra hundred will give longer life to your batteries when needed in the middle of nowhere and not run them low wearing out your battery.If you have tanks that lay on there sides don't ever put a stand up tank laying sideways in your tank compartment cause the regulator will blow filling your trailer full of natural gas or propane which may be your last trip when you turn the light switch on.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:01 AM

6volts for me Interstate,Bought mine direct from them.Heck they even offered to deliver.You won't be lifting[heavy] them in & out seasonally,just leave them plugged .Your unit has an on board charger,solar,or 110..Happy Trails
Old 12-31-2017, 06:43 AM

go get yourself 2 6volt golf cart batteries from costco
youll be happy
Old 12-31-2017, 07:51 AM

Also, check your lights inside your trailer and switch them all to LED lights to use less power. My research has steered me towards the 2-6 volt battery setup which I will pick up in the spring.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 AM

90% of my camping is dry. I switched to 2 x 6, 2 yrs ago and what a difference.

I also replaced the lights to LED. DON'T buy the bulbs from a dealer as they cost approx $14 each. Amazon.ca sells them 10 for $29.98. Make sure you get the right plug-in ends. A relative of mine has a camper van with a power needle gauge, and he said that when the lights were on the needle would move upwards however, when he switched to LED lights the needle doesn't move when they are on.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:33 AM

I have 1 12 volt Costco battery, which is going on to year 7 I also have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof and changed out all the light bulbs to LED, we have never been without power, we dnt use the microwave, aircondioner or furnace, we dry camp 95% of the time unless we go early spring or late fall then we plug it in.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:41 AM

Default here you go

previous conversation good advice there
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...58#post3612458
Old 12-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Go with two 12 volts ,the price in the long run is not worth the two 6 volts,the 12 will last a long time if checked for fluid levels and stored and charge every few months,carry a box of baking soda and some vinegar incase one cracks and you need to cleanup the acid in the battery compartment ,cover with baking soda and rinse with vinegar after that just water.Plus go with a good inverter and extra hundred will give longer life to your batteries when needed in the middle of nowhere and not run them low wearing out your battery.If you have tanks that lay on there sides don't ever put a stand up tank laying sideways in your tank compartment cause the regulator will blow filling your trailer full of natural gas or propane which may be your last trip when you turn the light switch on.
There is so much thats just weird about your whole post!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:54 AM

More great tips. Thanks to all for helping out an RV newb.

I was originally just looking for a tent trailer. Everyone and their dog told me not to do it despite the ease of towing, etc. Ended up going hardwall 21 ft and can't wait to get out there with it. Going to make a lot of those 4 am, drive 2.5 hours to favorite wmu hunting excursions a thing of the past.

Think I'll offend other campers running a 6,000 watt diesel generator non stop?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:01 AM

If your near the Red Deer area let me know.

Go with 2 6V Trojans and you’ll never look back. Get a decent inverter and solar setup and your set.

I have a 150watt solar mounted on my roof and picking up a moveabke 140 watt set as well. Inverter will run a tv easily.

I use a percolator for coffee as the coffee machine is a big power drain.

We have a family battery business and my Dad always recommends the 2-6V setup.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:15 AM

I have 8 Die Hards AGMs in my bus and they have been flawless so far. A guy has to be sure to maintain them.

Go with 12 volt IMO,

Dog_River
Old 12-31-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Maintain your batteries, check the electrolyte a couple times per season, even the so called "maintenance free" batteries need some TLC. Bring the batteries in outta the cold and putting them on a battery maintainer through the winter, this will increase their life and reliability.
This, above, dual 6Volts. Keep the tops clean as well especially during storage as the dust on the top will carry a micro current and drain the batteries with a small dead short effect on them.
For what you say you'll be doing, defiantly dual 6 volt deep cycles will serve you best for all night long furnace cycles etc. You're gonna be using the furnace during hunting season and this will be the difference in waking up warm without having to leave the generator running all night. If you're going to get a generator, you need 3000 watts if you want to use your A/C. If at some point you do stay in a campground and want to use a generator during the allowed times, I'd suggest getting a good one like a Honda or Yamaha due to them being quiet or someone might want to put sugar in your gas tank.
I personally use two Trojan T-105's. just replaced mine last year and the previous ones were 8 years old. Maintenance it the key, topped up like mentioned, clean tops and in a warm place in the winter. if you slip up on the winter part or top up part, you're buying new ones in the spring. I pick up new ones for my sister almost every year because her husband doesn't do either for her.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Hoping there are some RV battery experts out there. Just bought a bumper pull and it will need a new battery or two . . .

You've got lots of good advice here so far, and if you use the AO 'Search' function you'll find lots more advice on the many previous threads here about batteries.

The only advice I would add ... for vacation trailers (no engine to start), do NOT use 'RV' rated batteries.

RV batteries are a hybrid battery, intended for both engine starting and deep-cycle use. They have their uses and work well where needed, but for deep-cycle needs only, they do not work as well as true 'Deep-cycle' specific batteries.

Selkirk
Old 12-31-2017, 10:55 AM

I run 2 6volt Costco batteries in mine but trouble is if you camp out in the bush
and one gives up the ghost nothing runs on six volt.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:07 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by guster View Post

I run 2 6volt Costco batteries in mine but trouble is if you camp out in the bush
and one gives up the ghost nothing runs on six volt.

Another good point ^

It's one of the main reasons some people use two 12V deep-cycle batteries instead.

Selkirk
Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 AM

Default RV Batteries

We run four 6 volt Golf Cart batteries in the generator hole and two 12 volt deep cycle on the reach all interconnected.
Changed bulbs to LED's.
The two on the reach can be used for my 12 v trolling motor.
When boonie camping we have a 480 watt solar panel for battery charging.
We found the furnace fan motor is the greatest draw of power.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:48 AM

I always ran dual 12v. I carry a 3000w invertor for when power is required and unavailable, but generally ran it from the truck. I have a big solar cell, 26v @ 1.5 amps, wish I could find a few more of those! I agree with single 12 or dual as opposed to single 6, like noted above nothing runs on 6v if a battery fails. A spare 12v battery you can use in the truck if needed is far better than trying to wire up a couple 6's. I use deep cycle 12v marine batteries, which are now 10 years old and just tested at 93 and 95%. Get them in a heated garage for winter.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 PM

If your garage isn't heated, put them on a trickle charger. I got mine from Amazon.ca for $29. two yrs ago. It can hooked up all winter and won't over charge the batteries.