Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 AM

That would be naturally occuring. Egg shells introduced by anglers/people not so much.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I have no idea how long it takes for egg shells to break down but the next duck i see is going to get an earfull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
That would be naturally occuring. Egg shells introduced by anglers/people not so much.
Well come on, we can't just favour the birds now. All the other wildlife will get jelous
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Is it possible to mix some kind of attractant or bait in with the egg shells or beans or whatever you may wish to use , and therefore create chum?

Once it is on the bottom of the lake only you would know exactly what it is.
It is a lot easier just to make everything not attached to your line illegal.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
Is it possible to mix some kind of attractant or bait in with the egg shells or beans or whatever you may wish to use , and therefore create chum?

Once it is on the bottom of the lake only you would know exactly what it is.
It is a lot easier just to make everything not attached to your line illegal.
Please note that "Chumming" is an illegal in Alberta and can get you fined.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

From the regs right after the section on "collecting bait fish"

"it is illegal to set out or use bait to attract fish unless the bait is attached to a hook used in angling."
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I just couldn't see myself staring down a hole all day.
I can't stare all the time either. I do however find it very exciting...thrilling almost to see fish coming into the field of view and inspecting the hook. When lake whitefish are aggressive it is really cool to watch them circling and attacking.

Now that I am getting older...to crouch down hunched over that long...kills the neck and back.

Need to find a pilates and yoga for ice fishermen group...
Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I can't stare all the time either. I do however find it very exciting...thrilling almost to see fish coming into the field of view and inspecting the hook. When lake whitefish are aggressive it is really cool to watch them circling and attacking.

Now that I am getting older...to crouch down hunched over that long...kills the neck and back.

Need to find a pilates and yoga for ice fishermen group...
That's why them have camera's now just like sitting at home watching your favorite fishing show. Just remember you have to set the hook.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 AM

I met a fellow a few years ago who poured white peppermints down the hole so he could see the bottom better...I wonder if we could drag a dentist into this thread...lol
Old 03-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I just couldn't see myself staring down a hole all day.

Just for fun..............I did allot of ice fishing in Ontario too. We'd just break a small branch off of a tree, freeze it in the ice hanging over the hole, drop the line in and hook the line to the branch. When the branch moved then you had a fish at your bait. I'm a bit more advanced now and I have an icefishing rod in one hole.
When I was in Ontario we used a stick over the hole as well. But we were far more advanced;we put electrical tape on the stick to help notice the bites! LOL!

My understanding on the egg shell debate is that you can't pour anything down hole to aid in visualization. Cow manure is compost as well, but I don't think it would help the lake any if everyone put some in the holes.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
That's why them have camera's now just like sitting at home watching your favorite fishing show. Just remember you have to set the hook.
Now that I am getting older I am more forgetful and the reflexes are slowing. When watching fish tv I forget to set the hook.

Plus the eyesight is not what is used to be...swinting to see the TV screen and all. Just need the 50 inch LCD fish tv screen...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Plus the eyesight is not what is used to be...swinting to see the TV screen and all. Just need the 50 inch LCD fish tv screen...
Or one of these:

Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Gone Hunting

This is why I like to look down the hole while ice-fishing.

Seeing the fish take the hook is a thrill in itself. Often you can hook a fish that does not hook itself on a "soft take".

I had to edit this pic a bit to get more contrast. White beans or egg shells on the bottom do a good job of making it easier to see fish. It is NOT chumming.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
This is why I like to look down the hole while ice-fishing.

Seeing the fish take the hook is a thrill in itself. Often you can hook a fish that does not hook itself on a "soft take".

I had to edit this pic a bit to get more contrast. White beans or egg shells on the bottom do a good job of making it easier to see fish. It is NOT chumming.
NOT Chumming, I agree because the fish are attracted or eating it. It is still littering though. Litter is anything that isn't naturally existing, and egg shells or bean are not naturally existing at the bottom of your hole.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 PM

Default No egg shells down the hole !!

I heard that somebody who tried this got pinched (salting the hole)! The idea is that the egg shells would provide a background on the bottom & make it easier to see the fish. I have even heard of fishermen ??? who have used live goldfish for lake trout where there has always been a bait ban ! I have never been that desperate ! I just wait till the fish opens its mouth & once the hook disappears, a gentle tug & they are soon up on the ice ! I can see a wire worm right on the bottom in 13 feet of water & so can my wife & she wears glasses ! Anyways, eating too many eggs for the eggshells could cause problems & unwanted enemies, in a confined space like an ice tent !!!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM

Default here's looking at you !

here's a small pike I caught & let go after i measured him!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 0202.jpg (5.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 PM

So is it legal to gut a fish on the ice and a) either leave the guts on the ice, or B) return the guts to the lake (back down a hole?)

Not a practice I have done or intend to do just a curious question.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
So is it legal to gut a fish on the ice and a) either leave the guts on the ice, or B) return the guts to the lake (back down a hole?)

Not a practice I have done or intend to do just a curious question.
Yes legally, morally no. Although that is only technically legal on non "game fish". Burbot for example. Because game fish you are required to keep everything so size and species can be determined. Right in the regs. I suppose if you eat it, it would be ok because it's not in your possession, but then does a guy count that towards his limit? You are supposed to yes but if you throw all evidence down a hole, who can prove otherwise?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Yes legally, morally no. Although that is only technically legal on non "game fish". Burbot for example. Because game fish you are required to keep everything so size and species can be determined. Right in the regs. I suppose if you eat it, it would be ok because it's not in your possession, but then does a guy count that towards his limit? You are supposed to yes but if you throw all evidence down a hole, who can prove otherwise?
right but could one make the case that this would be chumming if you were to continue to fish from this hole? predator fish would love to come in and get a nice easy meal that they dont have to chase down.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Yes it is quite common practice in ocean marinas to have guts tossed over after cleaning and the harbours seem to have their own eco system to deal with it.

I agree that it could be considered chumming.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Burbot (ling) are "game fish" and "sport fish" according to "the guide to the fishing regulations"

I am not aware of any size restrictions but there are provincial and lake specific "bag limits"
they are a great eating fish and should not be wasted.

If you clean and fillet burbot in the field you must leave a patch of skin on each piece to identify it to spices. And cannot freeze them in a block so the species and number cannot be determined.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...