Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 AM

Default Cypress hills better on Sask side?

Good day,

Living in Medicine Hat here. I have spent several hours last weekend fishing on Spruce coulee (catched a 6" baby brookie"), Reesor & Elkwater.
Besides the small brookie, nothing....Lots of small trout jumping at Reesor, but thatès it.

I'm more of a pike kinda guy, C&R. Friends at work tell me that Cypress hills has better fishing on the Saskatchewan side than Alberta side....
Any truth to that? I mean is there less "pressure" on the fish on the Sask side?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 AM

All you would have to do is look at google maps, it shows two small lakes on the Sask side. One public and one pay as you go. The public Loch Levan is no better than Ressor. Don't know about the private, never been. They do have some creeks spread out throughout if small trout are your thing. Lots of pressure on the Sask side as well.

If you are interested in C&R pike I would stick to the irrigation lakes around Medicine Hat. Rattlesnake, Scope, Grantham, Yellow, Grassy, Chin, Forty Mile, Newell, Tilley B all have pike and whitefish. If you have a boat that would help greatly.

Michelle and Bullshead are both great trout fisheries although Bullshead fish can be tough to catch.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
All you would have to do is look at google maps, it shows two small lakes on the Sask side. One public and one pay as you go. The public Loch Levan is no better than Ressor. Don't know about the private, never been. They do have some creeks spread out throughout if small trout are your thing. Lots of pressure on the Sask side as well.

If you are interested in C&R pike I would stick to the irrigation lakes around Medicine Hat. Rattlesnake, Scope, Grantham, Yellow, Grassy, Chin, Forty Mile, Newell, Tilley B all have pike and whitefish. If you have a boat that would help greatly.

Michelle and Bullshead are both great trout fisheries although Bullshead fish can be tough to catch.
I only have a regular 16' canoe, no fish finder. So I realize im "under geared".
I was planning on giving Bullshead a shot next weekend. Rattlesnake is not bad when the water is quiet and the seadoo/boats are not ruining it....
Old 06-27-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
I only have a regular 16' canoe, no fish finder. So I realize im "under geared".
I was planning on giving Bullshead a shot next weekend. Rattlesnake is not bad when the water is quiet and the seadoo/boats are not ruining it....
There is a back part to Rattlesnake where the seadoo's do not venture. It is bigger and shallower, the fishing is far better in that part of the lake. You can launch your canoe off the dam easily, check google earth.

Thomas Sowell