Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Pinehurst and Touchwood Lake

Can anyone give me some info on the fishing/camping at either lake? I live in Spruce Grove and have never been up there. Just wondering if its a waste of time traveling that far or are there some big fish to catch?
Thanks,
Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbax View Post
Can anyone give me some info on the fishing/camping at either lake? I live in Spruce Grove and have never been up there. Just wondering if its a waste of time traveling that far or are there some big fish to catch?
Thanks,
Camping in both places is "rustic" ie pit toilets, no hookups or electricity, a pump for water an the potable water pump might be some distance away. If I recall correctly camping is better at touchwood but it has been a number of years since I last camped there. The gravel road in both places is dusty when dry and muddy when wet.

As for he Fishing go give both a try and see for your self but I would say it's not as good as before the mono species walleye management took over.

Last edited by cube; 06-13-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Was at touchwood week and a half ago. If your pulling a camper/fifth wheel and it starts to rain, better start packing and get out. Went in after a big rain and she was pretty snotty. Fishing was fairly slow but should be better now.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Was at touchwood week and a half ago. If your pulling a camper/fifth wheel and it starts to rain, better start packing and get out. Went in after a big rain and she was pretty snotty. Fishing was fairly slow but should be better now.
Road to Pinehurst was very soft at end of may as well. There is just so much water up there right now. Standing water in most fields when I was there.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Banned

There was a post about this a couple weeks ago,as mentioned the roads are usually very dusty or mud.Pinehurst and Touchwood are approx 30k of dirt/gravel.Pinehurst has a rock pile just below the surface to the left of the lil island directly across from the launch.Both have large fish but can be hard to find.The wood is usually soggy poplar.A small tin boat may not be a good idea if you trek out far.We rescued a boat a few yrs back on PH.As mentioned they are very primative .The limits on both are zero walleye and 1 pike,the perch are fairly rare on both.No reservations and the locals put up tents to save the sites so its a 3-4hr drive with no guarantee of getting one.ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbax View Post
Thanks,
Try Elinor they have good sites there, even a cabin rental. Fishing should be good the fuzz is starting to fly
Old 06-13-2017, 09:10 PM

Personally I like Touchwood way better than Pinehurst. Beautiful lake and some of the clearest water around. Fishing can be slow but know for some big Pike and historically a good Walleye lake although the limit is zero. More rustic style campground but if your looking for somewhere off the beaten path that's quiet and free of crowds this is the place. Very big and deep lake in excess of 130ft
Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Just got back from Wolf Lake yesterday. Road is fine there so Pinehurst would be similar I would think.

Just one factor that may sway you, mosquitoes. I live on a farm so mosquitoes are certainly something I live with and lots of them. But, at the Wolf boat launch, that factor alone, I would not go back until they die off a bit. That or go on hot and dry weather. It was overcast yesterday and cooler so they were out BIG TIME. Even fully sprayed (twice) I had them flying in my ears and nose. There were out in the thousands. Despite best efforts we ended with at least a hundred in cab of the truck. Most got sucked out going down the road but we killed them all the way home.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Just got back from Wolf Lake yesterday. Road is fine there so Pinehurst would be similar I would think.

Just one factor that may sway you, mosquitoes. I live on a farm so mosquitoes are certainly something I live with and lots of them. But, at the Wolf boat launch, that factor alone, I would not go back until they die off a bit. That or go on hot and dry weather. It was overcast yesterday and cooler so they were out BIG TIME. Even fully sprayed (twice) I had them flying in my ears and nose. There were out in the thousands. Despite best efforts we ended with at least a hundred in cab of the truck. Most got sucked out going down the road but we killed them all the way home.
Could be wrong here but I would think the road into Wolf would be better than the others after the rather major road work that happened in the Wolf area a couple of years back.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Could be wrong here but I would think the road into Wolf would be better than the others after the rather major road work that happened in the Wolf area a couple of years back.
Yes wolf is much better. It's a real road.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:16 AM

From what I saw last weekend, the camping at PH is far worst than Touchwood. Many more sites at Touchwood as well, the expansion at PH is not done yet. The roads were soft, but not muddy, stay on the tracks and don't venture too far off, it gets pretty grabby on the shoulders.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Certainly the first 15 km is
The last 5 km remains unchanged. I haven't been into PH for quite a few years but it was always comparable, at least to me, to WL.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Banned

Wolf lk is 2/3's paved,no where near the same as PH or Touchwood
Old 06-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the info. It sucks that you cant keep any walleye but all i am really looking to do is reel in some big fish and enjoy. Hopefully i can make it up there soon.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:10 PM

I made it up to Elinor Lake yesterday and gave it a try, It was super windy which sucked and we were basically restricted to the bays out of the wind. We caught more fish then i cared to count but nothing to brag about. I will for surely be back to try and find the big guys! Thanks for the recommendation!