Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
^ shot down in 🔥 flames!!! Lol.
Question. What you guys think is a good choice for a budget of say 100-150 bucks? Time to retire the fenwick.
A Fenwick HMG

After I blew up an ugly stick trying to pop a dipsy diver and Shakespear said I'd have to pay the shipping for a new piece of crap rod, I will never buy another one. The ones in the 80's were good though.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
A Fenwick HMG
I'll check them out... not sure what model mine is....
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll check them out... not sure what model mine is....
This is the one I bought as an all round hiking rod. I don't think I've used it yet, but I like how it feels.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/63411/...g-spinning-rod
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 PM

LOL EZM.

For the ugly stik guys that just don't get it. The guy wants a Ferrari and you are recommending a Kia...

Quote:
^ shot down in 🔥 flames!!! Lol.
Question. What you guys think is a good choice for a budget of say 100-150 bucks? Time to retire the fenwick.
Getting harder and harder to find good rods in that price range thanks to our dollar.

Main ones that pop into my head are Fenwick HMG, Shimano Compre(if you can stand the colour lol) and Shimano Clarus. Fenwick Methods as well if a 3 piece would be of interest.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
This is the one I bought as an all round hiking rod. I don't think I've used it yet, but I like how it feels.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/63411/...g-spinning-rod

Oh this one....lol,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
LOL EZM.

For the ugly stik guys that just don't get it. The guy wants a Ferrari and you are recommending a Kia...

Getting harder and harder to find good rods in that price range thanks to our dollar.

Main ones that pop into my head are Fenwick HMG, Shimano Compre(if you can stand the colour lol) and Shimano Clarus. Fenwick Methods as well if a 3 piece would be of interest.
Thx. I kinda figured I might stay with fenwick. Mine has been good for years.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh this one....lol,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doh!

6'6" m-fs-2.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 PM

And a decent reel in the same price range? Sorry for the slight derail sns2. Last question.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
And a decent reel in the same price range? Sorry for the slight derail sns2. Last question.
I have a mint Shimano Sustain 5000 that I spooled with 20lb powerpro that I'm not sure if I've used yet that I would sell, it's surprisingly small for a 5000 but a bit more than the HMG rod. I bought it for salmon fishing, then was going to use it for a river reel, but I've got a couple other rods for that.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Shimano Nasci.

Pflueger Supreme would be the other one to consider but I would go Nasci for sure. Super smooth and salt water rated.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 PM

Thx again guys. Just watched a video of the sustain 5000. Nice reel. A bit big as I prefer small reels. Thx for the offer. Rav, I'll look into those reels.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thx again guys. Just watched a video of the sustain 5000. Nice reel. A bit big as I prefer small reels. Thx for the offer. Rav, I'll look into those reels.
I handled one of those Nasci's, very smooth reel, I think you'd like it.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
No problem, buddy. Keep the questions coming. Lots of people are interested in the informed answers being given.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 AM
Banned

I just put a shimano nasci 3000 on a 13 fishing one piece muse 6'9" and really like it so far. Awesome balance and great casting.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:00 AM
Banned

I prefer the shorter rods for jigging. I have had a Series I, 6' rod since about 2000, this has been a great rod, dont care for the handles that the Series I has had for the past few years. I also have a St. Croix Legend Tounament 5'9 that I have had for a few years also a great rod.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
LOL EZM.

I never said I was an ugly stik "guy" but thank you all for your opinions of my opinion. I don't discount the qualities of G Loomis or any of the other great quality rods out in the market that have been discussed on this thread because I too have Have them all and love them. I like you have many rods for different applications. My point was merely that all too often we put emphasis on the rod when in fact it is a well designed presentation that catches fish ie: hooks, lures, bait, and line, the rod doesn't always matter. Important yes but not critical compared to presentation. To prove my point, I have caught Walleye on short stiff ice rods, 10' downrigger rod, ultralight, hand line, tip up, willow branch, cane pole, noodle rod, fly rod, pocket fisherman, and yes even the Ugly Stik and many more! When I started fishing many full moons ago many of these high end rods didn't exist yet and a guy used what he could find in the corner of grandpas garage. I was simply offering a different perspective to consider until you all decided it was your place to critique my opinion. You guys must have bought one to know so much about their deficiencies then hey? Say what you want, it is a good all around multi technique rod for average skill sets that will last, catch fish, and not break the bank or your heart when you lose or destroy it. You can troll cranks, bottom bounce, jig, slip float or whatever you want to do with it. Best option on the market no but that wasn't necessarily the OP's question now was it. Unless I read it wrong, he didn't ask what was the best rod money could buy. If that's what he was asking then sorry for my misinterpretation. The OP doesn't have to use my opinion, he merely asked any of us for it and to be perfectly honest I didn't ask for yours but thanks anyways for the unsolicited critique. Hell I caught 13#5oz Walleye when I was a kid on old Cherry Rod with an ancient Mitchell reel using 10# test mono but it was the yellow mister twister with a minnow and sharp hook presented at the right time and place that got the fish to the net! I've never been a Rod Snob, I can make anything work, it's the business end of the rig that is where i make the critical investments that pay off over time.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
OK - I disagree - and I'm dumping in a little humour here to illustrate my perspective ....

You are seriously comparing an ugly stick "elite" to a Loomis?

The OP asked for the best one rod set up - not a great value set up.

The ugly stick combo would be a good value - no doubt - but I'd likely spend the same amount on a graphite composite with a fast tip over a glass/low load graphite rod like the parabolic slow/moderate action ugly stick "elite" in this application (for walleye jigging).

As a matter of fact - A parabolic action rod with a slow/moderate action might actually be the worst set up for jigging walleye.

It might be ok for bottom bouncing though (as long as the eyes are hammering it).

It might also make an awesome tent pole or whooping stick.

Sure the stick will catch a fish, and yes it's durable, and yeah they are inexpensive but call an ugly stick "very sensitive" is just a crime.

The sensitivity (or lack thereof) is truly nail in the coffin for this rod's candidacy for "the best one rod for walleye" category.

You could chuck a cantaloupe sized rock at this rod and you wouldn't even know anything happened .......... the damn thing wouldn't break ...... but you wouldn't feel a damn thing.

Perhaps the only thing "elite" about this rod is the emblazoned fancy scroll script on the rod which was hand painted by golden winged fairies in the factory.

I, as a concerned citizen and outdoorsman, forbid you to say such things.
I'm not saying I disagree with you but, just for the sake of accuracy. The new series of Ugly Sticks have a lot more backbone than the old one. Much like the old ones though the standard series has a faster action than the Elite, and also like the old series the 6.6' rods have more backbone than the 7' rods because they use the same blank and the shorter rod ends up a bit stiffer.

The new rod is more sensitive, as in you can actually feel bites, not as in the tip wiggles around very freely. Its not great but its better, I wouldn't call it an ideal jigging rod though.

Personally I liked the old series better for soaking bait and bottom bouncing, that floppy tip and slow action worked very well for these applications, and where it made the difference was when fish were biting lightly rather than hammering. They could nip and play with the bait a bit without feeling any resistance, then clamp down and turn before the rod gave any real resistance. The requirements of a bait or trolling rod are completely different than a jigging stick IMO.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
If you cant catch more walleye with a higher end graphite rod then you are doing something wrong. Sensitivity to feel the lightest of bites can be the key to successful walleye fishing some days. I have literally been out with guys some days and they think the walleye arent there/biting because they arent feeling the tiny little pecks on their too heavy or insensitive rods. Yes there are other days when the fish are hammering your bait/lure and it doesnt matter what you use for a rod but simply put that is not always the case and a higher quality rod can make a significant difference(assuming the operator has the ability to feel the light bites).

A similar analogy is indicator or bobber fishing for trout/walleye. The smallest most sensitive indicator/bobber you can get away with will show you more bites and help you catch more fish just like a lighter more sensitive rod will.

This isnt hocus pocus magic. It is science and higher end graphite is stronger and stiffer. The strength allows you to decrease graphite thickness/diameter which is what gives you a lighter rod and the increased stiffness is what gives you that increased sensitivity as every bite is transmitted through the rod to the user instead of dissipated internally.

The fenwick eagles are a decent cheaper rod but they eyelets are crap. The HMX is a good step up but even better is the HMG which imo is the best bang for your buck if buying a fenwick.
I guess what you say makes sense. But I cant recall ever fishing with the Eagle GT and wishing I had the HMX, fishing the Ugly Stick and wishing I had something else... yes, obviously that has happened. Maybe its because I catch so many dang walleye its all just a big blur and I have trouble remembering the particulars. I've spent the last week and a half chasing big pike in the Athabasca using a heavy catfish rod and 8" herring.. and those damn walleye still wouldn't quit hooking themselves.

Maybe its just me but if god intended us to only jig for walleye he wouldn't have created bottom bouncers or lindy rigs. If the fish are tough to catch on a jig I usually switch to a slow death, lindy, or drop shot rig. All of these presentations buy me more time to set the hook and a hyper sensitive rod isn't as critical. For bottom bouncing and lindy rigging I don't actually like the HMX, preferring a slower action for reasons I have already stated.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-28-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
. To prove my point, I have caught Walleye on short stiff ice rods, 10' downrigger rod, ultralight, hand line, tip up, willow branch, cane pole, noodle rod, fly rod, pocket fisherman, and yes even the Ugly Stik and many more! When I started fishing many full moons ago many of these high end rods didn't exist yet and a guy used what he could find in the corner of grandpas garage. I was simply offering a different perspective to consider until you all decided it was your place to critique my opinion. You guys must have bought one to know so much about their deficiencies then hey? Say what you want, it is a good all around multi technique rod for average skill sets that will last, catch fish, and not break the bank or your heart when you lose or destroy it. I've never been a Rod Snob, I can make anything work, it's the business end of the rig that is where i make the critical investments that pay off over time.
Hey PerchBuster,

Sorry my intent to discuss my opinion and make a point was humorous - It wasn't an attempt to call you out - sorry if it came off that way.

I, too, have caught fish on hand-lines, cheap ice rods, broom sticks, crappy graphite rods from the corner of the garage and they landed fish HOWEVER the question was about what is BEST. An ugly stick isn't the best rod for the application.

I have, in fact, owned (and still have) a couple ugly sticks. They are, ironically, in my garage in the corner. I have used them. When I was buying my first fishing stuff, and budget was a serious consideration (and frankly I didn't understand much about how a rod should feel or how certain performance characteristics impact results) the ugly stick seemed pretty darn good. I was wrong.

I thank you for offering your opinion. I do appreciate the perspective and would never want to discourage what others say. Sometimes people disagree with me and may critique what I say too, that's part of the discussion on a forum. Often times these critiques or differing opinions are explained (like I did) and that, to me, is fair game. Provide data/results/backup or something tangible to discuss and let's learn from each other. I've been wrong lots of times. Admitted it sometimes too. lol.

As far being a rod snob, and looking for a long term investment - here's something I live by "I can't afford to buy cheap things anymore".

What people often do is buy something cheap, end up disappointed with it, and end up buying the quality product at the end of the day anyways.

Anyways, sorry if my sense of humour was poorly timed. It wasn't intended as a dig at you, more of a dig at the ugly stick (when compared against a Loomis or St.Croix).
Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Have a look at (and compare) the Abu Garcia Orra SX to the Shimano Nasci.

Specifically in this mid price range, for spinning reels, it's my opinion Abu Garcia outshines all other manufacturers and sets the benchmark. More bearings, clearly smoother drags, better (stronger) gears and construction.

And before anyone jumps on me - I have lots and lots of Shimano reels (likely more Shimanos compared to AG's) - and in many cases Shimano reels were better compared to other brands - but I'm talking specifically spinners, at the mid range price point ($120-$250).
Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
LOL EZM.

Exactly!!! Been on this board for more than 5 years and most of my gear I have purchased has been stuff EZM has recommended to other people. Never saw reason or value in going to ST Croix having used an UGLY stick for years, wife got me one for Xmas 7 years ago and I would never go back to any of my old gear. Quality stuff is exactly that, lasts long, sensitivity is unmatched and just overall easier to fish...

Good luck luck in whatever you choose but my vote is The St Croix Legend also, I have 2 and wouldn't use anything else for walleye.

I used my Old Ugly Stick this season when fishing for Carp at Last Mountain lake last month... Still has its opportunites haha
Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM
Banned

All this talk of the ugly stick, good, bad, or just ugly?

Here's my take on it.

Back in the 80's I fished nearly every day of the open water season on the banks or either the Clearwater or Athabasca rivers with a few treks to the horse, hangingstone, silin, and the legendary mouth of poplar creek.

Back in those days I had an ugly stick with a Mitchell 300 reel... bullet proof. A better river fishing combo would be hard to find with many pike over the 20lb mark, it was awesome. As I had gotten older, more mobile and able to explore lakes, the old ugly stick/Mitchell combo started to feel lethargic. I spent a few summers working at a fly-in fishing lodge and took notice of what both guides and clients were using, and more importantly catching fish with. Ultralight tackle, with a more finess style of fishing clearly was hooking up with more fish.

After watching the numbers it was clear what I wanted, so in about 1986 I bought my first high end rod, it was a berkley lightning rod with woven graphite ($125.00 at the Hudson Bay) and a graphite shimano (3200?) auto cast reel. What a different fishing experience from that day on.

Are used to have a locker full of ugly sticks, but after I had that one blow up on me and was faced with having to pay $35 in shipping for a $40 rod I decided there are much better options on the market. Today I just have two ugly sticks left, one for my oldest son and one for my younger son. My older son loves his ugly stick but after a year of using a St. Croix the ugly stick Is a backup rod for the fishing trips now.

And ugly stick will get you out fishing, but I don't think it's what the OP is looking for. He threw a $320 walleye rod into the lake I don't think he's going to want a $60 ugly stick to replace it with. No offence to anyone who uses an ugly stick intended, just not something I think the OP is looking for.

PS, sns2, you should include a budget, maybe the ugly stick is a good option?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 AM

I'll chime in here with my couple cents.

If you are vertical or pitching jigs, generally speaking you will benefit from a sensitive rod. If you plan on storing your rod in your boat (or don't mind the additional hassle of transport) consider a one piece rod for enhanced sensitivity.

For vertical applications, a fast action tip is hugely beneficial on the days when the bite is light. Negative bites, when a finicky Walleye lightly picks up the bait, can be detected much better with a fast or extra fast action tip.

Split grips are a newer trend that not only lighten the overall weight by using less grip material, but also allow the angler to keep a finger directly on the rod blank for enhanced sensitivity. Score a point again for the one piece rod benefit.

In considering the above, my suggestion to you would be a:

6'6" Medium - fast
One piece

Take a look at the Fenwick HMX, HMG, and Aetos. If you are considering a higher end rod like a Loomis, the Fenwick World Class is comparable in features and sensitivity - for a more attractive price.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
All this talk of the ugly stick, good, bad, or just ugly?

Here's my take on it.

Back in the 80's I fished nearly every day of the open water season on the banks or either the Clearwater or Athabasca rivers with a few treks to the horse, hangingstone, silin, and the legendary mouth of poplar creek.

Back in those days I had an ugly stick with a Mitchell 300 reel... bullet proof. A better river fishing combo would be hard to find with many pike over the 20lb mark, it was awesome. As I had gotten older, more mobile and able to explore lakes, the old ugly stick/Mitchell combo started to feel lethargic. I spent a few summers working at a fly-in fishing lodge and took notice of what both guides and clients were using, and more importantly catching fish with. Ultralight tackle, with a more finess style of fishing clearly was hooking up with more fish.

After watching the numbers it was clear what I wanted, so in about 1986 I bought my first high end rod, it was a berkley lightning rod with woven graphite ($125.00 at the Hudson Bay) and a graphite shimano (3200?) auto cast reel. What a different fishing experience from that day on.

Are used to have a locker full of ugly sticks, but after I had that one blow up on me and was faced with having to pay $35 in shipping for a $40 rod I decided there are much better options on the market. Today I just have two ugly sticks left, one for my oldest son and one for my younger son. My older son loves his ugly stick but after a year of using a St. Croix the ugly stick Is a backup rod for the fishing trips now.

And ugly stick will get you out fishing, but I don't think it's what the OP is looking for. He threw a $320 walleye rod into the lake I don't think he's going to want a $60 ugly stick to replace it with. No offence to anyone who uses an ugly stick intended, just not something I think the OP is looking for.

Lol was your river rig anything like this one? I caught this walleye and a half dozen more just like it about 3 weeks ago on a day when the fishing was tough, on a rod worth less than my rain jacket and a presentation twice as old as that Mitchell. The point Perchbuster made was bang on, sometimes getting too hung up on the rod has you worrying about the wrong end of the line. Pulling the jig off and using something else can save the day at least as often as a super sensitive rod.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Have a look at (and compare) the Abu Garcia Orra SX to the Shimano Nasci.

Specifically in this mid price range, for spinning reels, it's my opinion Abu Garcia outshines all other manufacturers and sets the benchmark. More bearings, clearly smoother drags, better (stronger) gears and construction.

And before anyone jumps on me - I have lots and lots of Shimano reels (likely more Shimanos compared to AG's) - and in many cases Shimano reels were better compared to other brands - but I'm talking specifically spinners, at the mid range price point ($120-$250).
In the spirit of disagreeing, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this post lol.

It was an arms race for a while on who could cram more bearings into their reel on the premise that more bearings meant a smoother, longer lasting, better reel. The fact of the matter is that better bearings make for a smoother, longer lasting, better reel. The quality of the bearings, not the quantity, should be the deciding factor. Shimano reels in that price range have fewer bearings, but their quality is unmatched.

Smooth drags are critical. Abu does have a nice drag, but I don't think the claim that it's clearly smoother than a comparably priced Shimano holds water. Those drags also need to stand the test of time. Shimano has proven that theirs does.

Stronger gears and construction is where I really take exception. Shimano is the ONLY company that manufactures its own gears, in house, using patented cold forging techniques that only they are capable of. That means no grinding or manipulating of cast gears, they are stamped to perfection from solid billets every time. On top of that, the X-Ship technology, where the pinion gear is supported on both ends, keeps everything in perfect alignment at all times. That means less wear on the gears, and that the Shimano reel will be as smooth under load as it is when free spinning. If you've ever been to the Shimano booth at the Edmonton boat show they have a demonstration they set up that compares the effort required to turn the handle while lifting a lead weight between an X-Ship equipped reel and reels without X-Ship (everyone else). If you get the chance, try it for yourself, you'll be convinced. It's remarkable what a difference it makes.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
He threw a $320 walleye rod into the lake I don't think he's going to want a $60 ugly stick to replace it with. No offence to anyone who uses an ugly stick intended, just not something I think the OP is looking for.

You must have thought I was a real wizard. LOL.

Let's just say that I am not going cheaper
Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 AM

I am never going to be one to slag someone for what they have bought. Each to his own. I think it was EZM who said he can'r afford to have cheap stuff anymore. I agree. I have fished all my life. Up until a few years ago, I thought it was crazy to spend large on a rod. I thought I had quality with my $100 Canadian Tire Combo. What changed me was fishing for three days with Bobby B at Slave Lake. For three days, I watched him slay fish with his new G Loomis, when I was getting next to nothing. Trust me it wasn't presentation. Our identical lures and bait were literally three feet apart, but the fish were finnicky. I couldn't feel a dang thing and he was landing fish consistently. I tried his rod and experienced the difference between quality and run of the mill. Sometimes no amount of talk in the world will change peoples' minds, but I know what I know. Let's just say that I will not be spending less on my new rod than I did on my St Croix Legend Tournament.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
In the spirit of disagreeing, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this post lol.

It was an arms race for a while on who could cram more bearings into their reel on the premise that more bearings meant a smoother, longer lasting, better reel. The fact of the matter is that better bearings make for a smoother, longer lasting, better reel. The quality of the bearings, not the quantity, should be the deciding factor. Shimano reels in that price range have fewer bearings, but their quality is unmatched.

Smooth drags are critical. Abu does have a nice drag, but I don't think the claim that it's clearly smoother than a comparably priced Shimano holds water. Those drags also need to stand the test of time. Shimano has proven that theirs does.

Stronger gears and construction is where I really take exception. Shimano is the ONLY company that manufactures its own gears, in house, using patented cold forging techniques that only they are capable of. That means no grinding or manipulating of cast gears, they are stamped to perfection from solid billets every time. On top of that, the X-Ship technology, where the pinion gear is supported on both ends, keeps everything in perfect alignment at all times. That means less wear on the gears, and that the Shimano reel will be as smooth under load as it is when free spinning. If you've ever been to the Shimano booth at the Edmonton boat show they have a demonstration they set up that compares the effort required to turn the handle while lifting a lead weight between an X-Ship equipped reel and reels without X-Ship (everyone else). If you get the chance, try it for yourself, you'll be convinced. It's remarkable what a difference it makes.
That reel in the picture was manufactured prior to 1956 has NO bearings and its still working just fine.

Does a walleye reel even need a drag? They've got to be one of the worst fighting game fish per lb in North America.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I am never going to be one to slag someone for what they have bought. Each to his own. I think it was EZM who said he can'r afford to have cheap stuff anymore. I agree. I have fished all my life. Up until a few years ago, I thought it was crazy to spend large on a rod. I thought I had quality with my $100 Canadian Tire Combo. What changed me was fishing for three days with Bobby B at Slave Lake. For three days, I watched him slay fish with his new G Loomis, when I was getting next to nothing. Trust me it wasn't presentation. Our identical lures and bait were literally three feet apart, but the fish were finnicky. I couldn't feel a dang thing and he was landing fish consistently. I tried his rod and experienced the difference between quality and run of the mill. Sometimes no amount of talk in the world will change peoples' minds, but I know what I know. Let's just say that I will not be spending less on my new rod than I did on my St Croix Legend Tournament.
What I'm saying, is that in the situation you describe, I would have switched to a presentation that was more forgiving and at that point everyone in the boat should have been catching some fish regardless of what rod they were using.

If one is dead set on jigging then yes, you need a sensitive rod, and I hope that you will find what you are looking for. And just for the record I did not recommend an Ugly Stick, I just followed everyone else down the conversational rabbit trails that this thread took.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
That reel in the picture was manufactured prior to 1956 has NO bearings and its still working just fine.

Does a walleye reel even need a drag? They've got to be one of the worst fighting game fish per lb in North America.
Some are happy with "just fine" some aren't.

In my experience and opinion, a smooth drag is a critical component of a good walleye setup.

If you're happy with your setup, then that's really all that matters. To each their own...