Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 AM

My 4 year old has probably 20 toy guns (my family just keeps buying them). He runs around the house and blasts everything with reckless abandon. And that's fine.

When we're shooting his Little Rascal, I go into drill instructor mode. I make him list off all the parts of the rifle, I have him explain what he's gonna be doing with the bolt, butt, and sights. I also have him explain how his sight alignment works starting from the rear sight forward. All this before he takes his first shot. And I watch him like a hawk. We also do a lot of dry fire drills (some say you're not supposed to dry fire a rim fire but whatever). He loves it, and hounds me to practice all the time.

When I was 9, my dad just handed me a BB gun and told me to shoot everything I saw in the woods. That works too, I guess?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 PM

At 2yrs old we started practicing safe handling of a empty wooden stock off a .22.
When/if he made any mistakes he would lose it, (I put it up on the mantle over the fireplace. Where he could see it but not get it. Always top of mind)

He started shooting somewhere in there 2.5 -3 years old.

We build him a custom stock for his Cooey Model 39. He and I restored that whole rife together and made the custom stock together!! It was amazing.

He made his first long range shot at 3 years old hit the 16"x16" steel plate out at 140 meters with his .22LR Cooey, my buddy videoed it for us pretty awesome.

He is 7 years old now has fired the .410 I picked up for him but it's too big and auckward for him still, so he sticks with his Cooey.

Made his first kill this year.

This He nor I was ready for. He cried for 45 minutes after, apologizing to the bird, "sorry you'll never be real again, I'm sorry, sorry Chicken"

Gut wrenching as all I could do was hold him, no comforting him, all I could do was keep telling him we always make sure we respect them, give them the best possible death and always make sure we don't waste them so we can eat what we shoot.

It was hard. He settled down we did some target shooting for a hour after four then when we were heading home and I packed up the bird into the truck, he started up again for another 45 minutes or so.
This hasn't dissuaded him, he still wants to get himself a rabbit.

Only you and your little one can know when is the right time.

V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-23-2017, 04:37 AM
Gone Hunting

My firearms instruction started as soon as I became interested in guns.

It started out with dad making it clear I wasn't allowed to touch one until I was older.

Then when I was about six he would let me shoot at tin cans, so long as he was right beside me.
Around age eight he allowed me to shoot my borthers or sisters guns so lang as they supervised.

Throughout that process I was constantly reminded to never point a firearm, real or toy at any human for any reason. It was made clear that if I did so, even acidentally I would loose access to firearms for a long time.

There were a lot of other things I was required to do concerning safety and proper gun care but there is a lot of little lessons, too many for this venue.

When I turned 12 my big sister gave me her rifle, with dad's blessing.
And once again I was reminded that if I violated certain rules I would loose that rifle and not be allowed to hand any rifle for many years.

For two years I had to be accompanied by an older sibling or an adult to carry and or use my rifle. By age 14 I was free to carry and use it at my discretion.

By then I was trapping full time, after school, and hunting small game and varmints.

I don't know if that method is approved or if it would work for everyone, but it worked for me.
I've never had an accident involving a firearm and I've never been in trouble with F&W.

One thing though, I've never been a great shot. I could never win a competition, but I can hit what I aim at.
I've never been able to hold steady so I learned to shoot a rifle the same as I shoot a shotgun.
Snap shots at close range. It works for me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Safety & fun in that order. Skills will develop fine if the first two are followed to the letter. If you really want him to shoot BB, be sure to shoot paper or cardboard that will limit ricochet.
That is a very good point. It occurs to me that it might be a good time to introduce safety glasses and start them as a habit.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Shooting targets such as cans, waterjugs or fruit can help the kids understand the harm that can occur from being hit by a bullet.
Killing an animal such as a gopher or a pigeon exemplifies the safety concern better than anything else. Have them see first hand that the gun will kill, and express that the same can happen to people.
Combine this real life/death teachings along with firearm safety protocols such as to Always treat a gun as if it is loaded and too Never point a gun at a person.
Very good point!

I remember as a young man my father showed me an article in the Calgary Herald. A well known Calgary Trap shooter by the name of Don Blow was introducing reporters to the sport of trap at the Calgary Gun Club. Part of his safety lesson he shot a grapefruit at shorter range. I remember how the safety nature impressed the reporter.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 AM

This isn't the way to do it but my best friends dad wasn't around and his mom was a drunk. We used to walk around the woods when we were like 5 with .22's and pellet guns from his mom's collection hunting deer and bears

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 09:08 AM

My son was 6 when I gifted him a Savage Rascal. He shot BB guns previously since around 3. Safety is paramount and those younger years will galvanize that into who they are. My son is incredible with his muzzle control and what's behind his target. Cool to see. Every kid is different and remember- they won't hold a higher standard than you do. Make sure you go overkill on safety to really sink that in.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Banned

I don't know if anyone has touched on this very important aspect of young people learning about firearms but here's what I'd like to add. It's a little story another member posted here once.
We were having a picnic on a beautifull day by the lake. Every once or awhile this Squirrell would come down a tree by the table and hang around to scavenge or get treats. It also made a lot of noice. After awhile, the noice the Squirrell was making irritated us enough so I went to truck, got a rifle and shot the Squirrell. No more noice. After about 45 min. we could hear tiny little squeaks and chattering. We looked up in the tree where this noice was comming from to see 3 tiny baby Squirrells wondering where Mom was cause they were hungry.
Yes saftey is paramount when teaching your children about firearms, but teaching them to be responsible in the way they use that firearm, and respecting the outdoors and nature in general, should be part of thier initial training. I hope a lot of kids going out on "safari" with thier new rifles hear about that Squirrell.

Last edited by waterninja; 02-28-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:33 PM

You killed a mama squirrel and left orphans?? That's not even noice!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-28-2017, 01:40 PM

Sling Shot > BB Gun > Pellet Gun > .22 > 7mm > Shotgun > Thermonuclear Ray Gun
Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Yes saftey is paramount when teaching your children about firearms, but teaching them to be responsible in the way they use that firearm, and respecting the outdoors and nature in general, should be part of thier initial training. I hope a lot of kids going out on "safari" with thier new rifles hear about that Squirrell.
waterninja
Thank you for posting that. If just one person learns that lesson by reading that story it will be worth while.

Last edited by covey ridge; 02-28-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I don't know if anyone has touched on this very important aspect of young people learning about firearms but here's what I'd like to add. It's a little story another member posted here once.
We were having a picnic on a beautifull day by the lake. Every once or awhile this Squirrell would come down a tree by the table and hang around to scavenge or get treats. It also made a lot of noice. After awhile, the noice the Squirrell was making irritated us enough so I went to truck, got a rifle and shot the Squirrell. No more noice. After about 45 min. we could hear tiny little squeaks and chattering. We looked up in the tree where this noice was comming from to see 3 tiny baby Squirrells wondering where Mom was cause they were hungry.
Good post
Old 02-28-2017, 04:52 PM

like water ninjas post . I was let loose in rural Bc at probably 5 with a break pellet rifle . supervised 22 . I learned what death was very young and still love firearms . never felt bad about any rat my brothers shot though
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic hunter View Post
I started my son when he was 6 with a BB gun and gun safety. tin cans and zombie gopher targets in the back yard. I also started taking him on easier overnight deer and elk hunts at that time. My daughter is younger and we picked up a savage rascal and she skipped the bb gun stage completely. They shoot that .22 and occasionally a "Bigger gun" like my 9mm carbine or sks but primarily stick with the rascal and the 10/22. Problem now is they both want to tag along on hunting trips. My son carries his .22 for grouse/ptarmigan when we are out now and he has not connected yet but will soon.

the focus needs to be on safety and fun, I never push it too hard with the shooting or hunting. They like reactive targets more than paper so I have been building up my steel targets. When hunting I have no intention of "given er" when they are along, I can do that on my own. We take lots of breaks, watch lots, look lots, talk lots, it is more about cultivating the experience and the desire so that it hopefully takes for a lifetime interest.

I have more fun when they are along and we only get a grouse than being on my own and getting a deer, and I love watching them try and do better with shooting, taking time to aim, and telling to watch each other's trigger finger.

One of the best moments was when my six year old daughter asked me one day when we were getting ready to go to the range "Daddy have you seen my mag?".... priceless
Good post! Have done some shooting with my 11 yo daughter and the 22. Unfortunately, since we moved to the city lack of easy access to a gun range as well as a busy extracurricular activities have limited plinking time. Interesting how her classmates attitudes in the city have affected her interest too.

Went deer and moose hunting with me a couple of years ago and was very excited when my bro-in-law got a moose. Bought a tikka 243 compact for her to grow into. She was always very excited about getting to get her own deer someday. Lots of questions this year and last from her friends about whether her dad actually shoots deer? I have explained hunters are an important part of keeping the ecosystem in balance, that we eat what we take, and that death is a part of life and that we treat all animals with respect. Hunting is very clearly not cool, so we'll see what happens. Will keep plinking when we can, and hopefully she'll still come hunting with me even if she doesn't want to get something herself.

To some extent, kids got to find their own way.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:28 PM

My boy was interested in everything, watching me disassemble, clean, lap rings, foresight, etc. He was only 2, wearing his Bob the Builder belt and tools and helping me with any rifle maintenance. Started on the safety aspects right away, teaching him to open the bolt and do the safety check.

I started him shooting a 22 when he was 7. He loves it, he's become quite a good shooter, and I trust his abilities to be safe. I still supervise, but I already trust him enough I know he could do things on his own.