Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Default Last recieving date

Anybody know the exact last recieving date for may sale ? Im seeing a couple different dates on 2 forums 1 says march 21 and jim says march 6 th ?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:24 PM

The latest alBerta outdoorsmen has the n.a.f.a add in gordies column and it states March 21st. For the may 8-15 sale.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 PM

Quick question, do you guys take them to receiving depots or straight to westlock or what. Usually ship thru Halford but didn't care for the way my fur was handled. With a tough grade and all the care I put into my product I can't stand to see fur tossed around and thrown in with unfleshed junk and whatnot. Sorry Halford but can't deny it when large numbers come in the fur gets handled rough to get that guy back to work.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Quick question, do you guys take them to receiving depots or straight to westlock or what. Usually ship thru Halford but didn't care for the way my fur was handled. With a tough grade and all the care I put into my product I can't stand to see fur tossed around and thrown in with unfleshed junk and whatnot. Sorry Halford but can't deny it when large numbers come in the fur gets handled rough to get that guy back to work.
X2 I hadn't renewed my ATA membership in early January so I decided to take 20 pelts to Halford's. After all of the care I took in putting up that fur I had to dump the bag on a dirty warehouse floor and after tagging them, they were just thrown on a pallet laying on the floor and not put into a triwall. Perfect spot for mice to get at them. Half way home I had regrets and that'll be the last time that I go to Halford's to turn in fur.

I haven't seen anything other than March 21 for a last receiving date.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 PM

One more thing about that place I will never forget. 1996 myself and a partner trapped dang near a hundred beaver in one of the worst winters ever. Took them to Halford for some much needed cash. The buyer rattled thru them in a matter of minutes offered 980 for the lot... I take a lot of pride in my work and put up a nice beaver. Also these were January and February under ice beavers out of coulees that hadn't been trapped so we had some real hawgs. He tried to talk us out of shipping them but we did anyway. The check from nafa was 4200 clear. We got top lots on most sizes and 99 dollars each on the blankets. That story needs to be heard as it changed our lives.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
X2 I hadn't renewed my ATA membership in early January so I decided to take 20 pelts to Halford's. After all of the care I took in putting up that fur I had to dump the bag on a dirty warehouse floor and after tagging them, they were just thrown on a pallet laying on the floor and not put into a triwall. Perfect spot for mice to get at them. Half way home I had regrets and that'll be the last time that I go to Halford's to turn in fur.

I haven't seen anything other than March 21 for a last receiving date.
I take all of ours to Martys Depot in Hays . They take great care and you can't meet better people.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I take all of ours to Martys Depot in Hays . They take great care and you can't meet better people.
ill second that Cam they take pride in everything to do with trapping and people's fur,even hang pelts up if not completely dry,now that's service
Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info that's where I go from now on.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:06 PM

Great service with Marilyn s friendly smile at all times.They also offer up tips to help with your put up if there are issues or ask for help.Along with taking in fur they have an excellent selection of fur trapping/snaring supplies.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:20 AM

The 21st in Westlock. My wife and I are volunteering that day and the afternoon before. Hope to see you there.
Doug
Old 02-19-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
One more thing about that place I will never forget. 1996 myself and a partner trapped dang near a hundred beaver in one of the worst winters ever. Took them to Halford for some much needed cash. The buyer rattled thru them in a matter of minutes offered 980 for the lot... I take a lot of pride in my work and put up a nice beaver. Also these were January and February under ice beavers out of coulees that hadn't been trapped so we had some real hawgs. He tried to talk us out of shipping them but we did anyway. The check from nafa was 4200 clear. We got top lots on most sizes and 99 dollars each on the blankets. That story needs to be heard as it changed our lives.
Cool story
Old 02-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

...I can't stand to see fur tossed around and thrown in with unfleshed junk...
So $65 - $85, is that good or bad for "junk" unfleshed & sewn-up coyotes ?

I sell my "junk" to a buyer/furrier, not to Auction... Although I do get most of it off, I always miss some.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:41 PM

No these were fur in muskrats. Sorry should have made it clear. Brought in a pile of nice rats 2 years ago, and they were just bar coded and tossed in a big cardboard box on a pallet with a bunch of half rotten bright yellow greasy muskrats some other fellow brought in. If they were to sit in that box long enuff there would be grease burn from those other hides and I would think that they would be wrinkled and kinked and certainly not the same ones I took to the depot a month or more prior to the sale. Got my 9.75 average with some nice rats up to 18 or 19 on the top end.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 PM

Yep if you get 60-90 for unfleshed dogs I would take it. The bellies turn green real quick on the coyotes and the fur pulls out. I got a lot of respect for the buyers that take frozen shot coyotes. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. I'm not a canine guy. I get a few but mostly beaver and muskrat fanatic because I put them up fast and fresh and nice.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Banned

Am not being the devils advocate but I have had my iced beaver thrown in a box of greasy, almost black beaver hides at Westlock as well. I asked that they start a new box, which they did. This was not recently and I'm sure things have changed. Just saying, it can happen anyplace "people" are involved and maybe haven't been shown what is right..