Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

Default Went For the 17HMR

On another thread I had asked for advice about rimfire rifles. I appreciate all the posts and opinions that were provided (almost all of them).
My brother and I decided to go with the Savage A 17 semi auto 17HMR. What a beautifull rifle and the 17 grain that are specially made for this rifle are the neatest little cartridges that I have ever held. Had a Nikon scope put on and they even threw in a free quality gun case. Would really like to thank the staff at Cabbelas. It is a VERY rare thing for me to buy something like this brand new, but after watching and reading a lot of reviews on rimfire rifles, we decided the A17 was the one to get. Plan to sight it in tomorrow so it's ready for Turkey season. Will post a report on what we really think about it tomorrow. It really is exciteing just thinking about plinking with a brand new rifle.

So, what I would like now is any feedback from any members that own, or have done any shooting with the A17. Thanks
Old 02-19-2017, 09:19 PM

Hopefully your results are better than these with that rifle/load combination.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...rimfire-rifle/

Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 PM

I can't speak to that particular rifle, but like any rimfire, it is a good idea to try several different brands of ammo to determine which produces the best accuracy. Sometimes, the differences are significant. I am pleased with the accuracy of my 17 HMR which is quite capable of an 80% shot/kill ratio on gophers to 165M.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Banned

I have to tell you the truth Elk that I can't really tell which cartridge on your chart is the one I have. Shells in the shop and I'm in pj's. I'll read the back later.
Another thing that I don't have is a proper gun clamp so human error can play a part, though I set up as snug as I can. Still looking forward to breaking it in later today. IMG_2060.jpg

One of the reviews I watched was done by a fellow called "Plinkster" ? where he split a playing card. Never saw or heard of that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by waterninja; 02-20-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I have to tell you the truth Elk that I can't really tell which cartridge on your chart is the one I have. Shells in the shop and I'm in pj's. I'll read the back later.
Another thing that I don't have is a proper gun clamp so human error can play a part, though I set up as snug as I can. Still looking forward to breaking it in later today. Attachment 131218

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The A17 loads are the loads specifically designed for the A17 rifle. According to the test, the average group size was 1.33" at 50 yards. Most of the bolt action 17hmr rifles that I own or have fired average around .75" to 1" at 100 yards, with their favorite ammunition.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The A17 loads are the loads specifically designed for the A17 rifle. According to the test, the average group size was 1.33" at 50 yards. Most of the bolt action 17hmr rifles that I own or have fired average around .75" to 1" at 100 yards, with their favorite ammunition.
Thats some nice shooting for an hmr for sure
Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yeh, those are the only cartridges I plan on using anyways, just wasn't sure if they were on the first list you posted.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Actually, 3/4" to 1" at 100 yards was pretty typical with my Cooper and CZ rifles, as well as a couple of friend's Savage rifles. It's quite an accurate cartridge if you have a decent quality rifle, and a load that it likes. The 17mach2 is just as accurate at 100 yards.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
The Savage that I set up for a friend was very accurate at 100 yards off the bench and I shot several 5 shot groups if 1" or better with it.
Scope and as a Bushnell 3200 IIRC
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-20-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The Savage that I set up for a friend was very accurate at 100 yards off the bench and I shot several 5 shot groups if 1"or better with it.
Scope and as a Bushnell 3200 IIRC
Cat
I had a marlin that shot fairly well too in an hmr but I didn't like the gun itself. I sold it to nice gentleman on AO and just never replaced it for some reason. I did win the largest coyote at the Barton's derby a few years back with that rifle, 48lb male

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:33 AM

My cz452 17hmr shoots dime size groups at 50 yards. If mine only did 1.33 inch groups the rifle would be gone.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My cz452 17hmr shoots dime size groups at 50 yards. If mine only did 1.33 inch groups the rifle would be gone.
^yeah..kind of agree. Congrats on the Savage 17 semi, I hope it proves to be a shooter for you. Don't rely on the A17 ammo being the best ammo for it though, get a box of everything you can get your hands on and try it out. I know a factory rimfire semi reliably shooting 1" or better @ 100 yards is considered "good" but I had a CZ452 Varmint in 17HMR (I sold, and regret) that could shoot under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with Hornady 20gr. ammo. My Marlin 917 heavy barrel (bolt gun) with a Rifle Basix trigger can almost do the same if I bight my lip the right way...but seemingly not as easily as the CZ could. Maybe it's my age/eyes now. lol It will shoot under 1" all day long no matter how fast your follow-up shots are. Proved to be very bad news for gophers in SW Alberta last spring.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:53 AM

Smile Hunting/Calbire?

Thanks everyone for their contributions to this thread over the past 8 years or so! Hopefully some of the tension is gone now ;P

I've decided that hunting birds like grouse and turkey, etc. with a rifle is ok with me personally, so now I'm trying to decide which gun to hunt with... Well, I've chosen the gun (Browning T-Bolt) but it comes in both a .22LR as well as a 17HMR. I've been doing a ton of searching online whether it be YouTube videos or forums, but cannot decide whether or not the 17HMR calibre is too much to take birds with. I'm definitely planning on eating the birds and don't want to waste much meat, nevermind entire birds... but from what I've read you can buy .17 rounds that are meant for small game (bird?) hunting or at least more friendly to saving meat... I'm referring to 20 grain rounds that aren't supposed to explode on impact and tear animals apart.

I should also mention that I would like to use the rifle for shooting other animals like gophers, squirrels but also maybe fox or coyotes at close/responsible ranges to be ethical.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I cannot seem to come to a conclusion on my own on whether to get the .22LR or .17HMR, and I think a lot of new hunters/shooters struggle with this decision! The idea of a .17HMR seems pretty sexy, but I want to be able to use it and use it responsibly and ethically.

Thanks all,
Old 03-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
Thanks everyone for their contributions to this thread over the past 8 years or so! Hopefully some of the tension is gone now ;P

I've decided that hunting birds like grouse and turkey, etc. with a rifle is ok with me personally, so now I'm trying to decide which gun to hunt with... Well, I've chosen the gun (Browning T-Bolt) but it comes in both a .22LR as well as a 17HMR. I've been doing a ton of searching online whether it be YouTube videos or forums, but cannot decide whether or not the 17HMR calibre is too much to take birds with. I'm definitely planning on eating the birds and don't want to waste much meat, nevermind entire birds... but from what I've read you can buy .17 rounds that are meant for small game (bird?) hunting or at least more friendly to saving meat... I'm referring to 20 grain rounds that aren't supposed to explode on impact and tear animals apart.

I should also mention that I would like to use the rifle for shooting other animals like gophers, squirrels but also maybe fox or coyotes at close/responsible ranges to be ethical.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I cannot seem to come to a conclusion on my own on whether to get the .22LR or .17HMR, and I think a lot of new hunters/shooters struggle with this decision! The idea of a .17HMR seems pretty sexy, but I want to be able to use it and use it responsibly and ethically.

Thanks all,
Unless you shoot your birds in the head, the 17HMR will result in a great deal of wasted meat. Even the 22lr will cause a fair amount of bruised meat if you shoot them in the breast.