Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-12-2017, 09:12 PM

Default 7mm Rem Mag COL Question

I was shooting with a friend of a friend today,he was shooting a rem 700 sendero with 180 berger vlds reloads.He was asking me about overall length and I asked him how long he was seating his and he seats them at 3.565" overall length.I thought this was quite long so we took his rifle to our friends house near by and tried to see where to seat his bullets using the shot case and bullet to jam the lands.First measure came out at 3,536" and 2nd was 3.534" and then we couldn't get bullet to move at all.But anyways I thought this was quite a distance to the lands and none of my 7mm rem mags are that much.
Just curious as to what other Sendero or 700 shooters are finding for there distance to lands are and how much are you setting off the lands.
This fellow just started reloading but he has had a friend reloading for him for a couple of years with this load.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:58 AM

COL is pretty much meaningless when comparing different rifles, as no two will have the exact same leade.

If you want to compare ogive to start of the lands that's a different thing all together. But if the leade of the rifle differs enough now you're entering widely differing internal case volumes into the equation, which makes cross comparison even more meaningless.

Shoot, re seat, shoot, re seat, evaluate and move on with what works best.

Quite trying to find a faster way to success, the time spent behind the trigger is time well spent.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM

Hey Dick
Not trying to find a faster way to success, I know every rifle is different.
I am trying to help a fellow shooter out and trying to make sure it is safe.
His overall length seems pretty long to me so I am curious as to what others have found,maybe they are not to long as they shoot very well and really no signs of pressure.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:48 AM

According to your measurements you are currently seating bullets a full 3/100ths into the lands. That is a lot of Jam for a hunting round. If you try to eject a loaded round is it pulling the bullet out of the Case. Personally for a hunting rifle I would not load them any longer than 1/100th SHORT of touching.

As far as freebore, the Sendero in 7 RUM had a lot and Senderos in general are well known for having excessive freebore, along the lines of the Weatherby guns. Many you can't touch the lands and still fit the ammo in the mag. The 7 Rum is almost 4" and doesn't touch so not surprised to 7 mag is so much longer than most suggested COAL you find in loading books.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:27 PM

I believe the rule of thumb i use is at least the calibres length of bullet in the neck ( i try depending on the bullet not to count the boattail depending on the bullet). So At least 7mm of bullet in the neck of the cartridge with those burgers VLD's there nice and long like a missile, as with most larger 7mm bullets which is nice, usually means more length of bullet from the ogive to play with.

In my experience (.223 only with this problem) when the bullet isn't seated enough in the neck you get case neck tarring/stretching and increased pressure signes (flatter primers). Probably not going to ruin his gun but it can wreck brass really quickly arrrgh and typically pressure signs are bad and can be harder on the rifle bolt face ect

Last edited by 500+BC; 02-18-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500+BC View Post
I believe the rule of thumb i use is at least the calibres length of bullet in the neck ( i try depending on the bullet not to count the boattail depending on the bullet). So At least 7mm of bullet in the neck of the cartridge with those burgers VLD's there nice and long like a missile, as with most larger 7mm bullets which is nice, usually means more length of bullet from the ogive to play with.

In my experience (.223 only with this problem) when the bullet isn't seated enough in the neck you get case neck tarring/stretching and increased pressure signes (flatter primers). Probably not going to ruin his gun but it can wreck brass really quickly arrrgh and typically pressure signs are bad and can be harder on the rifle bolt face ect
Having less bullet shank in the case neck won't in itself increase pressure, but less bullet shank in the case neck usually means that the bullet is seated closer to the lands which often results in more pressure being produced.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
I was shooting with a friend of a friend today,he was shooting a rem 700 sendero with 180 berger vlds reloads.He was asking me about overall length and I asked him how long he was seating his and he seats them at 3.565" overall length.I thought this was quite long so we took his rifle to our friends house near by and tried to see where to seat his bullets using the shot case and bullet to jam the lands.First measure came out at 3,536" and 2nd was 3.534" and then we couldn't get bullet to move at all.But anyways I thought this was quite a distance to the lands and none of my 7mm rem mags are that much.
Just curious as to what other Sendero or 700 shooters are finding for there distance to lands are and how much are you setting off the lands.
This fellow just started reloading but he has had a friend reloading for him for a couple of years with this load.
I shoot a sendero in 7mm as well, I found my lands around 3.5 if I recall, my COAL on reloads are 3.35