Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 09:23 PM

Default RCBS Cabelas kit

What do the re loaders in the forum think of this kit? I have heard good things about it but am curious if its worth the money?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 PM

Cabelas sells several RCBS kits, which one are you asking about? As for price, Prophet River has an RCBS kit on special at a better price than Cabelas, and they currently have a family day sale on where shipping and gst are free.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-19-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 PM

The kit I was looking at and am thinking about is the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit. It is about 1100$
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWODM3 View Post
The kit I was looking at and am thinking about is the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit. It is about 1100$
As kit's go, it's very good, but I am shocked at how much the price has gone up.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
What do the re loaders in the forum think of this kit? I have heard good things about it but am curious if its worth the money?
For that money there are much better choices out there.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM

That right there is the Cadillac kit for sure. Nothing frivolous included. You won't regret it at all.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Such as what? I've always heard of the Rock Chucker being "the best" and the supreme deluxe always being right up there.

Help out the OP, and other new reloaders for that matter, and state what the better choices are for a kit at that grade.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
That right there is the Cadillac kit for sure. Nothing frivolous included. You won't regret it at all.
The press is good, the Chargemaster is nice, the hand primer is very good, with no shelll holders required. I use those same tools myself, the only improvement that I have over that kit is the Universal case prep tool, but it is a high dollar item that isn't included in any kit.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I am interested in your suggestions. Please post a link to to what kit you are referring to.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am interested in your suggestions. Please post a link to to what kit you are referring to.
As always google is your friend if your unsure . The Forster Co-Ax press would be a good choice to start with.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I'm with sns2 on this - what are you suggesting is better.

Quote:
As always google is your friend if your unsure . The Forster Co-Ax press would be a good choice to start with.
Ok, that's a start. Why is the Forester press better and the press is only one part of the kit. Is it in a kit or does he have to look for individual pieces? The guy is asking for help and opinions as to what this kit is like, you like something else but only make a broad statement about it and when pressed add in one piece. ?
I only have experience with RCBS and have no complaints or issues. Was interested iin others opinions as well.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM

He won't post a kit cuz there is no better kit.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Banned

Default Ford Chevy opinion.

I have found presses that I like better than the RCBS, so not really cost effective to purchase as a kit.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Great kit

It is an excellent way to start or even upgrade if you are looking for top quality gear. The charge master is one of the best and most helpful pieces of reloading equipment on the market.

As for price well that's a tough call. I saw that kit on sale last Christmas for $849 at Cabelas but they ran out of stock quickly. You may never see that price again. You won't regret buying the kit, quality is never a bad choice.

I personally use some of the equipment in that kit and have other equipment from different manufacturers. I went cheap when I first got into reloading years ago and have since replaced most of the cheap stuff. I use a forester co ax press and really like it.

My first press was a hornady Lock n Load that was part of a kit. It was good value but I had a lot of run out issues with it. If you are simply reloading to save money that kit is a good choice. If all you care about is minute of moose accuracy. If you want to make precision ammo then go with the Rcbs kit or buy specific components individually. Buying quality dies and using them properly is very important.

Sorry for being wordy but I hope that helps.

Last edited by markg; 02-20-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would not purchase as I find there are better presses on the market. If your happy with the RCBS equipment this is a cost effective way to buy. Last Christmas RCBS was giving a 75.00 rebate as well. Good luck with whatever you buy. Opinions will vary on any purchase .
Old 02-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Assuming you are referring to the Supreme Deluxe kit. Those kits have lately been in the 900-1000.00 range, and for what you get compared to buying the components individually, it is a good deal. It is just that a lot of people cringe at a bill that size for the initial layout.
As long as a person knows they will be using it enough, it is a practical buy.
Dollar is not helping, as it should have pushed the price up by 1/3. At that posted price, 1099.00 it is still a pretty good deal, just price a few of the items in it in Canada.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
K I T = Kit
Old 02-20-2017, 12:05 PM

Would be better off in the long run deciding on which press the op liked the most then building a kit around it. Would save money this way because you would not spend so much money "upgrading" down the road.
That Forster co ax press is the one I would be buying, leaps and bounds ahead of the RCBS.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Yes the RCBS product is a good product.

Search the other big names to compare.

Hornady (classic deluxe)
Lyman (crusher expert deluxe)
Redding (versa pak)

Don't rule out Lee's Classic cast press kit either.(scale is the weakest piece here)

There are no absolutes
Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Would be better off in the long run deciding on which press the op liked the most then building a kit around it. Would save money this way because you would not spend so much money "upgrading" down the road.
That Forster co ax press is the one I would be buying, leaps and bounds ahead of the RCBS.
I certainly don't deny that the co ax is a fine press, but if you purchase it separately, then purchase the Chargemaster, the Universal priming tool, the case prep center, the trimmer, and manual ,funnels etc. separately, you will pay considerably more than the price of the RCBS kit. The Rockchucker may not be the best press, but it is a very good press, and the rest of the RCBS kit is pretty much top of the line gear, so unless you want to spend considerably more yet, there isn't a lot of room to upgrade. Myself, I would likely choose a press, and then purchase a Chargemaster, the Universal Priming tool, and the Universal case prep tool, but by then you are approaching $2000.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 PM

For 99% of shooters, what comes with the RCBS kit the OP inquired about, is all that will EVER be needed to produce high quality ammunition. Most would not argue that a Forster Co-Ax press is at the top, but how many people need, or would actually ever realize, the gains that may be inherent in that design of press? Very, very few would be my guess. And judging by the number of us who meet 260 Rem's various challenge thread criteria, I think I am quite safe in my assertion.

The OP should buy that kit and get reloading.

Last edited by sns2; 02-20-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I certainly don't deny that the co ax is a fine press, but if you purchase it separately, then purchase the Chargemaster, the Universal priming tool, the case prep center, the trimmer, and manual ,funnels etc. separately, you will pay considerably more than the price of the RCBS kit. The Rockchucker may not be the best press, but it is a very good press, and the rest of the RCBS kit is pretty much top of the line gear, so unless you want to spend considerably more yet, there isn't a lot of room to upgrade. Myself, I would likely choose a press, and then purchase a Chargemaster, the Universal Priming tool, and the Universal case prep tool, but by then you are approaching $2000.
All true but I think when you finish buying what you want you will be well past 2000.00 Check out the Hornady case prep centre too, nicest one and again a different manufacturer. Of course thats my opinion and I could be wrong in my analysis. RCBS Chargemaster combo, Forester co ax press and the horned case prep centre would eat the 2000.00 alone but top shelf gear too.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
All true but I think when you finish buying what you want you will be well past 2000.00 Check out the Hornady case prep centre too, nicest one and again a different manufacturer. Of course thats my opinion and I could be wrong in my analysis. RCBS Chargemaster combo, Forester co ax press and the horned case prep centre would eat the 2000.00 alone but top shelf gear too.

Yes . it all comes down to what you prefer, and in the end, how much you are willing to spend. I checked out the Hornady dispenser, and the Hornady case prep center before purchasing the RCBS units, and I actually prefer the RCBS units. Then again, I prefer Redding dies over RCBS, and I have several sets of their neck bushing dies, and all of my seating dies have micrometer adjustments.. If you add everything up, including dies and measuring instruments, $2000 doesn't last long, and even $5000 wouldn't replace the gear that some of us own. I would start with a budget for everything, and go from there.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:53 PM

The average shooter/ factory rifle combination cannot shoot the difference between using BR dies and arbour press and a set of LEE dies and a Tong tool
Proved it several times with different shooters at the range
Cat
Old 02-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
snip
Don't rule out Lee's Classic cast press kit either.(scale is the weakest piece here)
I do NOT advise purchasing ANY kit.
My reasons can be easily found using the AO search function, as this question repeats (far too) frequently.

I am a big fan of the Lee Classic Cast single stage and turret presses.
I have several, and consider them to be by far the best and certainly most cost effective press available.
I have sold all my other similar presses, (including several RCBS).

Unfortunately, my preferred original Classic Cast press # 90998, is not available in any kit. It is widely available without any other kit.

The CC press in the Lee kit is the version which requires BreechLock bushings, does not have the excellent 'through the ram' used primer collection system, and cannot be used with large series dies.

IIRC, Lee has included the excellent CC Turret press in a kit, but it also includes many un-needed or not preferred items.
It can be used in auto indexed sequential mode, or in manual advance, single stage/batch mode (IMHO better for new loaders) with the auto index rod removed.
IMHO, this would be my choice for a first press for loading high volume semi-auto rifle or pistol.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Last edited by qwert; 02-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:46 PM

Qwert, I knew you was gonna say that!!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Seems like a good kit, nothing included in that really needs to be upgraded. I have everything that is included in that kit and it all works well.

I started with the basic Rockchucker kit about 10 years ago, I have upgraded it all to what's included in that kit. Chargemaster is really nice to have, case prep center is decent, case trimmer works well.

I did change out my press for a Redding big Boss 2. Only reason was because I didn't like the primer catcher on the Rockchucker. Really a non issue. I should have done some research, there are aftermarket primer catchers available that would have worked. Both presses produce very low runout ammo.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The average shooter/ factory rifle combination cannot shoot the difference between using BR dies and arbour press and a set of LEE dies and a Tong tool
Proved it several times with different shooters at the range
Cat
Why are you trying to traffic in common sense again, Cat?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 05:38 PM

Smile 270 elk

Have used the RCBS Rockchucker for 40 plus years plus most of their reloading dies had no problem at all. It is still your choice I would buy one again. The kit seems like a good price.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM

I started with an rcbs rock hacker basic kit from cabelas. Ended up only really using the press and case tray. Had to get an electronic powder thrower, because I load 100's at a time and have no patience for trickling one at a time by hand, and I found the rcbs scale to be really poor, seemed to skip every second grain. Didn't like the primer in the press, picked up a hand primer. Had no way to trim cases, had to get a case trimmer. I like the case lube pad, and rcbs lube. Those are the main things I can remember replacing. Would have been better off piecing it together with all the good stuff. Just my humble opinion