Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Banned

Default Barrel twist question

I'm going to be putting a new barrel on a rifle that I'm building up. For ease, and use of what I want to do, I'm pretty certain that I'm sticking to the 243, for various reasons. I know there is other stuff that is better but I'm not worried about that.

The question is about twist rates. I was looking on the Sierra website and they have now introduced a 110 grain MacthKing for the 243 win, but it requires a 1:7 twist to stabilize. So the question, is there such thing as "overstabilizing"? If I go to the 1:7 twist will I be locked to the higher weight bullets only or will I be able to lower the weight and still shoot a 60 grain varmint bullet through it with good results?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM

I have achieved very good accuracy with light bullets in fast twist barrels. The only thing that I have noticed, is that I couldn't achieve quite as much velocity with the fast twist barrels.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 AM

It is s lot easier to unstabilze a bullet than over stabilize it, but yes it can be done .
Cat
Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 AM

I understand that technicality, it is not possible to over stabilize a bullet, but in the real world, they can get "wobbly" due to imperfections in bullet construction. I believe it is also possible for bullets with thin jackets to separate at very high RPMs. Not something that I have ever experienced personally, but that is what the book at the Holliday Inn claims. I use 1:8 twist for my 243 bullets ...mostly 105 Bergers. Go with what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 AM

The usual practice these days is to go to an 8" twist however I have a 9" twist Brux 243 Win that shoots 105 AMax's and 107 Match Kings very well but I bought the barrel "because it was there". If you are ordering get an 8".
Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
The usual practice these days is to go to an 8" twist however I have a 9" twist Brux 243 Win that shoots 105 AMax's and 107 Match Kings very well but I bought the barrel "because it was there". If you are ordering get an 8".
The bullets I'm looking at say a 1:7 twist. I'd be borderline to stabilize these 110 grain Match Kings according to Sierra. I think the 107's would probably work pretty good as well but I am liking the higher BC numbers. But I will see what my work with a 1:8. Maybe the barrel length will have to be a couple inches longer or shorter. That was going to be the next question anyway. I don't know enough about that kind of thing and I really am looking at learning about it. Dick284 helped me out before with this kind of stuff and I was really appreciative. Now I'm just looking at a different direction with a different rifle.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:06 PM

Not to derail thread but just throwing this out there.
Is a gain twist better at stabilizing a wide range of bullet weights.
Just curious
Old 02-20-2017, 05:28 PM

The next 6mm rifle i build will be a 6-284 with a 1:7 twist barrel.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 PM

I've used many 107 SMK's without issue in 1:8 twist barrels. Sounds like the new 110 SMK's must be a bit more pointy...maybe both on ogive and boatail. If so, may reduce the bearing surface very slightly?
There are many reports of good performance with gaintwist but I have never tried one. That decision is based on what I have read about how the change in rate of twist results in an increase in the width of the groove etched in the bullet. Perhaps that makes a difference, perhaps not?