Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Banned

If im doing a flat and cap, I put it on at 9pm the night before to eat at 5 the next day
Old 02-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
If im doing a flat and cap, I put it on at 9pm the night before to eat at 5 the next day
What kind of weight are you talking? I have about a 4 lb chunk and a 3 lb chunk.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Brisket

My nephew is a cattleman so I end up with lots of briskest to do. I do a lot like those already posted. But I vacuum pack mine first and dry age them for at least 30 days in the frig turning daily. One other way is the dry rub on mustard Saran wrapped at least 24 hrs and then into a slow cooker with a base of BBQ sauce and coke for a minimum of 12 hrs. It melts in your mouth.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
What kind of weight are you talking? I have about a 4 lb chunk and a 3 lb chunk.
12 lbs. but it needs lots of time for the coligens to break down. Im kinda useless to you now cuz ive never done one that small. Normal for me is about 15- 18 hours,
Old 02-20-2017, 11:10 AM

it was a very late supper (lesson learned) took the small one off first and wrapped it in parchment and tinfoil it had reached 200F and let it sit. It was delicious. I left the bigger one to go a few more hours then wrapped and let sit. All in all it was a success thanks to the advice from you folks.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Glad it worked out for you. Now you can tweak things up to suit your palate.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned

Default Keep score.LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
it was a very late supper (lesson learned) took the small one off first and wrapped it in parchment and tinfoil it had reached 200F and let it sit. It was delicious. I left the bigger one to go a few more hours then wrapped and let sit. All in all it was a success thanks to the advice from you folks.
Remember to keep a record of what you did, and what you would do different the next time. Nice to write this down, for the next time.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
30 hours in the fridge in the rub, turned a couple times, left on the counter to hit room temp 4 hours, cold smoked 4 hours, then 1.5 hours/lb at 230, last 4-6 hours wrapped in tinfoil with apple juice, then sit in the smoker without power another couple hours.

You are so cruel.

Bobby
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 PM

This is making me hungry...I have an 80 gallon compressor tank I was planning on turning into an offset smoker. I guess I better try a brisket.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBC View Post
This is making me hungry...I have an 80 gallon compressor tank I was planning on turning into an offset smoker. I guess I better try a brisket.
Yes, you should.
They are so amazing, easily my favorite cut of meat (at least out of anything I cook). I did a few briskets before we actually ate one for supper, I think the 4th or 5th one was ready in time for supper. It sat out of the oven for a couple hours wrapped in foil, and was still very hot when I opened it. It literally fell apart, you could cut it with a spoon. All I did before was cut it into slices so thin it only had 1 side, and ate it in buns, sandwiches which was also amazing.
I am going to do a couple this week, now that the weather is better.

pics may follow

I use a Bradley electronic 4 rack with puck feeder
Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Yes, you should.
They are so amazing, easily my favorite cut of meat (at least out of anything I cook). I did a few briskets before we actually ate one for supper, I think the 4th or 5th one was ready in time for supper. It sat out of the oven for a couple hours wrapped in foil, and was still very hot when I opened it. It literally fell apart, you could cut it with a spoon. All I did before was cut it into slices so thin it only had 1 side, and ate it in buns, sandwiches which was also amazing.
I am going to do a couple this week, now that the weather is better.

pics may follow

I use a Bradley electronic 4 rack with puck feeder
But what happens if the weather turns out to be mother nature going through an attack of schizophrenia??
Old 02-21-2017, 05:39 PM

Great looking brisket Ken, very nice bark. I see you score the fat prior to rubbing it. I did that as well on my last one and I liked the results so I will continue to do that as well.
Congrats Cook on your brisket, glad it turned out great for you.

Cheers,
SS