Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I've got 3 stihls. A 038, ms230 and a ms170. Great saws.

I can't help but notice that those guys that build those log homes on tv run johnsenreds. I'm gonna figure that they'd be a pretty good saw.
Johnsered, as I understand it, is typically the previous generation of Husqvarna. Whenever something new gets done to the Husky's, the previous technology becomes the new Jonsered, more or less. So yes, they are good saws.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Stihl for me.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Picked up a Husky 445 18" a few years ago, and it's been great. We heat mostly with wood, and it's cut more than a few cords, starts every time. No complaints at all.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 PM

Stihl. And when something happens to your saw, which it eventually will. You can you tube simple repairs and likely fix it fairly quick yourself because there will be others with the same saw and same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Do yourself a favour and check your local pawn shop out, I've bought three professional series huskys and stihls for 1/4 price and by Canadian law it is the shops responsibility to make sure their merch is not stolen. Just keep your receipt if you have any doubts and check s/n with RCMP
Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Stihl 170 for quad and Trail cleaning cheapest and best one out there for that work

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezm View Post
i once stole a husky 351 from some old forester guy, it was a 2000, great saw, enjoyed it, still runs perfect to this day. Lol.

On a serious note the mid/high end stihl and husky's are the best saws out there. If you need, and can justify the cost, use it lots, they are the way to go.

I have a smaller stihl - like a 14"or 16" bar maybe, probably about 20 years old, thing is a workhorse and have had no issues with it. It gets used a few times a year, so it's probably more than i need, but it's really nice to have a quality saw.
lol
Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM

Just watched the Can. Lumberjack championship.

On the chainsaw competition, it came down to the last two.....a poulan vs a echo.

Just kidding.....but you gotta dream, right....

Ask yourself what the pros use if your interested in durability/reliability.

And if your like Tim the Toolman, check out the forums on which saws they are "Souping Up"......(grunt, grunt)!!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Stihl
Old 02-20-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Just watched the Can. Lumberjack championship.

On the chainsaw competition, it came down to the last two.....a poulan vs a echo.

Just kidding.....but you gotta dream, right....

Ask yourself what the pros use if your interested in durability/reliability.

And if your like Tim the Toolman, check out the forums on which saws they are "Souping Up"......(grunt, grunt)!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJYQnUWmbSk

The Echo's are great little saws that come with 5 year consumer warranty. Also worth noting that for the CS 490 at least, it comes with a magnesium case vs a Stihl which would come with a clamshell like design in the same price point.

I have nothing against the Stihl's they're great saws.(Although Im not that impressed with their homeowner line) I just don't see the point on someone who's going to use the saw occasionally buying a professional saw, and paying a premium for it. When they can buy the Echo which is still considered a pro saw, for significantly less.

Also look at what some professionals say about the Echo's. http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/thread...s-stihl.33002/
http://www.arboristsite.com/communit...-stihl.184442/
Old 02-20-2017, 04:41 PM

A few years ago I was in the market for a good saw. I had a poulan that I used for a few years, hard to start when it was cold but decent to start when it was kept warm. I wanted a saw to last me till I was done sawing, I wanted a good one.

There were a few threads going on at the time. One of the points brought up at the time was that most of the smaller saws were all made by the same company. So it didn't really matter what saw you bought, they were mostly all the same.

I ended up buying a 391 Stihl, a bit heavy but I can still handle it. The chain is 3/8" instead of 5/16" and it appears to be a carbide chain because I haven't needed to sharpen it yet. Should last me the rest of my life.

There were some pretty good discussions about 3-4-5 years ago, to the OP, check them out.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 PM

I've had a stihl for about 15 years now. It's been great the whole time.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:57 PM

I've had both husky and stihl. The stihl started every time with zero issues but would bog down on hard cuts. My current husky torques through anything and hasn't ever had an issue. The stihls I've handles tend to stop chain rotation on harder cuts, they don't stall, but the chain will stop. As I said, I've never seen my husky's chain slow down.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 PM

If you buy a new smaller sized husky you are buying a poulan. The bigger ones are still husky and are good. My vote goes to Stihl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybrand View Post
Do yourself a favour and check your local pawn shop out
Good advice. Many years back a buddy bought a monster Husky, 70 or 80cc for $350 and put new rings on it and is still a beast to this day. X100 on Husky or Stihl, can't go wrong with either. And spend a few extra bucks and get a higher end one, when an entry level one starts bogging and stalling out and struggling even on small pieces you will be glad you got the bigger one
Old 02-22-2017, 03:48 AM

I own stihl and huskys.They are excellant saws as long as the huskys are over 50cc.I also manage a rental shop and all our saws are echos.These echo saw are awesome. all we do is very basic maintenance on them and they run forever.i am very impressed with them.They are lighter then the 2 big names and they rev out higher as well.also parts are less expensive than the 2 big names.I wouldnt hesitate to buy an echo but as previously stated buy from a dealer as you wont get much help from can.tire or big box stores if you have issues
Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 AM

If your having grief with a "recreational use" saw then you bought the wrong saw!!! I own a couple bigger huskies and they're great but for smaller type I would get a stihl.They are on sale usually start of the season and are quite reasonably priced.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 PM

Everyone likes different brands for different reason, my biggest hangup is they got to start. I have a husqvarna with 18" bar, works great and starts.
model 353 e-tech.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Saws

I bought a used Husky 288 about 27 years ago, and other than putting a carb kit in, it has caused me no grief. It cut 18-20 cords firewood every year. Goes to camp, clears trails, builds furniture.....couldn't ask for more.
Peter
Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 PM

I have a stihl MS170 for a primary saw for light acreage use and for in the truck and quad during hunting season. I paid less than $300 for it and a nice case. It is reliable and always starts in under 10 pulls. It's small and light which I wanted as it has to fit in my quad toolbox. It is a bit under powered for some of the large elm trees I used it on but it's not made for that. For 8" diameter soft wood and poplar it works just fine. It's a good saw but if I had to do it again I would have spent the extra 100 for the next size bigger with a 50cc engine.