Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 PM

Default Point of use water heater

I ave a 30 amp breaker wired to my sink in my outdoor kitchen,next up is a water heater.Any advice on brand?This is just for one regular size sink.

thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 PM

Are you thinking of a small tank type heater or one of the instantaneous point-of use types? Of the two I'd use a tank is space allows, and if its outdoors as you say have some unions on the lines to allow seasonal removal, that or at least blow it and the lines down with compressed air.

With electric tanks pretty much any will do, not much of a difference at all between manufacturers.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Doing some further searching Im led to believe that since Calgarys water is so cold that a 110V one will only barely warm the water.
On demand i think is the way to go,no use heating a small tank of water when i may only use once or twice a week also theres the hard water problem.

Yes Ill use unions so i can remove for the winter.

So now i guess its 240V so i can at least get warm water.

Can you get small natural gas ones?I know the problem would be the venting but i could work with that.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 PM

I've never seen a gas one for such a purpose, that would be a typical instantaneous tankless heater and it would be prohibitively expensive for such a purpose. I know I even have a Bradford White electric instantaneous point-of-use heater kicking around in my inventory (new,old stock) but to find it?....

I'll take a peek around for it and check its specs. Its a shelf-warmer so I'd be more than happy to change it into some cash.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:42 PM

As long as you don't need a steady stream of hot water for hours at a time, there's no reason 115v won't heat it up.
Your kettle is 115v, and it boils.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 AM

Yes a tanked one at 110V will heat up a small amount,good for in house that gets used everyday and its on all the time.

Tankless only heats as you turn it on so turning 40F water into warm enough to do dishes and clean up will need some power.

Most reviews of the 110V are not so good when your starting with such cold water.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 AM

About 10 years ago bought one of these electric tankless/instant water heaters as our sink is a long way from the big tank.
Top brand name, etc....it simply did not work. Lukewarm at best.
Called the manufacturer who admitted these things don't work if you input cold water??!!!

Happen to talk to my Home Hardware guy and installed a small 1 1/2 gallon tank with simple 110 plug in. Works like a charm. 10 years and still going strong.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Thanks. In house ones are hooked up to hot water so your starting with room temp water. Having ice cold water as my sorce makes it more difficult
Old 02-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterupnorth View Post

Happen to talk to my Home Hardware guy and installed a small 1 1/2 gallon tank with simple 110 plug in. Works like a charm. 10 years and still going strong.

Is that run inline on the hot water line? Is it set to automatically kick off as the hot water reaches it from the main tank. Thinking about getting something as my on demand HW heater is a long way from the kitchen. That combined with a low flow water fixture makes for a lot of waiting.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Doing some further searching Im led to believe that since Calgarys water is so cold that a 110V one will only barely warm the water.
On demand i think is the way to go,no use heating a small tank of water when i may only use once or twice a week also theres the hard water problem.

Yes Ill use unions so i can remove for the winter.

So now i guess its 240V so i can at least get warm water.

Can you get small natural gas ones?I know the problem would be the venting but i could work with that.
The 110 heater in my holiday trailer will almost melt your face and its not a 30 amp
Old 02-21-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Is that run inline on the hot water line? Is it set to automatically kick off as the hot water reaches it from the main tank. Thinking about getting something as my on demand HW heater is a long way from the kitchen. That combined with a low flow water fixture makes for a lot of waiting.
My hot water tank is also long way from kitchen, yeah...long wait/waste.
I eliminated the hot water line to kitchen sink altogether. Just run a cold line to the little water tank under the sink. Tap water is hot in 2 seconds.
Its enough hot water to do sink full of dishes.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:46 AM

The tank ones no doubt will work on 110V,my problem is its outside so Id have to remember to turn it off and I'll have to wait when i do turn it on.

I was hoping that someone else has a 240V one that could chime in.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 PM

Update,got the 110V one,5 gallon, heats cold water(Calgary outside water tap) in 15 minutes(enough to wash hands) need about 25 to heat all 5 gallons,I turn it on for about 30min then off.I have hot water for about 3 hours with outside temp 7-10c.Never had hot water so fast with it being only 2 feet away.I had to turn temp down, 140 was too much.