Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-03-2017, 08:26 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Rabid Fox?

A friend sent me this picture yesterday.... Yuck! I told him/her/it to not skin it, that it quite likely has rabies as outlined in government propaganda. He/she/it took my advice.

Likely it is a very good idea for all trappers to get their rabies shots preemptively, I got mine years ago and was told I was good for life, but at the first sign of trouble they want to immediately pump you full with more crap rather than assess you to ascertain that you are in the safe zone... but it is for your personal benefit.

So, according to government literature, if you get a coyote or fox in such condition, do not skin it. At the very least burn the thing, the government would like you to report it and claim they want you to turn the animal in, however, the last time I wanted to turn a definite diseased animal in, nobody wanted it and we were stuck with it in the car until I got home from the hospital whereby I burned it immediately.

The End

(Wasn't that a nice story?)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Banned

A porcupine quill face full of pain and suffering, poor little bugger
Old 02-05-2017, 11:21 AM

Curious, what makes you think it has rabies? The fact it was dumb enough to go after a porky?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:11 AM
AO Sponsor

Wild canines going after porcupines, just not normal behaviour. Government propaganda states this and warns against fox, coyotes that have an unusual amount of quills. I've skinned many coyotes that have had a couple of quills, never believed them to be a problem, but this fox is definitely excessive.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:34 AM

Thought are that some canines learn first time with porkies. Others never learn and become more aggressive each time they encounter a porcupine. Why would this not apply to fox/coyotes they are all from the same family tree.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Thought are that some canines learn first time with porkies. Others never learn and become more aggressive each time they encounter a porcupine. Why would this not apply to fox/coyotes they are all from the same family tree.
Wild dogs can't risk getting injured or they can't feed themselves. A domestic dog has no need to worry about injury. I know I would take more risks if I didn't have to work to support myself. I can't feed myself if I get injured and can't work same idea with wild dogs.