Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Unsolicited advice granted,and perhaps painting SKS owners with a broad brush.....but he does have a point.
Any and all "bush ranges" that I shoot at,while they all have their slobs that leave a mess behind,I can say without a doubt that x39 casings are by far the most abundant cartridge to be found on the ground.
I'll go out on a limb here and also assume that a disproportionate amount of targets stapled to cardboard boxes,shot up TVs and toasters,and fragments of random objects previously exploded with binary targets are left behind by the same slob SKS warriors.
To be fair, I go out to the bush ranges and find not just SKS shell casing but almost every other kind of shell casings 223's 30.06's, shot guns shells just to name a few. Yes people are slobs, but thats general across the board out at the bush ranges. maybe the reason that you see majority of SKS's shells is because they are bought in huge amount and are shot in huge amount. Have you ever seen a huge case of 30-06, 223 offered in 800's, 1200's 1400's rounds? nope? neither have I. Tv's and random targets are often left behind by non-SKS shooter's as well, so it's hard to say who did it.
I can't go pointing an finger at any one shooter saying this is their fault.
I agree with what was said, just clean up after yourself. We lost Homestead publicly because of people who were not being responsible, by who abused it, by all kinds of shooters.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Its an SKS built for communists by communists to repel the threat of the evil empire.
Buy one if you want one, they are inexpensive and can be found almost anywhere.
They are nothing special other than they are cheap to buy and defend oneself against the Zombie Apocalypse , should it arise.
Rob
Dam , just about exactly what I was going post .
Old 02-19-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
That says it all right there why most of us dont like them because we associate the sky's with smart so and so kids with no respect because most of us have seen the results.
Most people here don't like them because they're associated with Communists.

Now pass me my K98 and my Schmiesser - and give me the P08 for a back up.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Most people here don't like them because they're associated with Communists.

Now pass me my K98 and my Schmiesser - and give me the P08 for a back up.
At the clubs I belong to, people don't like them, because since nobody reloads the steel cases, they usually just get left laying around rather than being picked up. As well, the steel core bullets tend to ricochet more and cause more damage at the range. Several ranges have already banned steel core bullets, which is what many SKS shooters choose to use.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I should check with my range.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
At the clubs I belong to, people don't like them, because since nobody reloads the steel cases, they usually just get left laying around rather than being picked up. As well, the steel core bullets tend to ricochet more and cause more damage at the range. Several ranges have already banned steel core bullets, which is what many SKS shooters choose to use.
I wouldn't use the word choose with reference to the ammo. Most SKS shooters/owners are totally oblivious to the fact that the ammo they are shooting is steel core, heck I'd wager 50% or better of them have nary a clue that they are likely shooting corrosive ammo either.

To the OP buy a Simonov model, with matching serial numbers. Strip it down, clean out the cosmoline, and be responsible, by cleaning up after yoursslf, and maintaining the rifle diligently.

The trade winds politically indicate this rifle is in the bed wetters sights, so enjoy it while you can, the more of them out there the more heinous the gun grabbers will look, when that time comes. This is food for thought towards the nay sayers, buy one even just to be a statistic.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 02-19-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
You blame the gun and not the user.Harold
There's no way you can get one of those rifles to shoot sub MOA. I can do that with real rifles, and anything that can't give me at least 1 minute of angle isn't worth having in my opinion, it then becomes a waste of ammo. I owned two of them many years ago and sold them out of frustration. Save your money and buy something that will give you more enjoyment.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I wouldn't use the word choose with reference to the ammo. Most SKS shooters/owners are totally oblivious to the fact that the ammo they are shooting is steel core, heck I'd wager 50% or better of them have nary a clue that they are likely shooting corrosive ammo either.

To the OP buy a Simonov model, with matching serial numbers. Strip it down, clean out the cosmoline, and be responsible, by cleaning up after yoursslf, and maintaining the rifle diligently.

The trade winds politically indicate this rifle is in the bed wetters sights, so enjoy it while you can, the more of them out there the more heinous the gun grabbers will look, when that time comes. This is food for thought towards the nay sayers, buy one even just to be a statistic.
They don't purposely choose ammunition that uses steel core bullets, rather they choose the cheapest ammunition available, which is usually corrosive, with steel core bullets.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
They don't purposely choose ammunition that uses steel core bullets, rather they choose the cheapest ammunition available, which is usually corrosive, with steel core bullets.
Oblivious or otherwise not caring as to the composition of the ammo.

It's a cheap thrill sort of mentality.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-19-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henzo45` View Post
I do have CGN account. I rarely go there because most of them are always trashing others opinions. This was something. I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this
Same happens here. You know how that works.
Mines better than yours because I don't shoot one so you shouldn't
The Anti's just sit back and wait for us to divide ourselves

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

A buddy busted out his fancy mr1 when we were at my families place havin some fun with some tannerite, the he goes to load the thing up with that cheap ammo, I felt faint, I says "I hope you're cleanin that thing religiously" he says "why?" I says "cause it's corrosive ammo!" He was oblivious as to what in the world I was talking about. He said he hadn't cleaned her since he bought her, figured he'd put well in excess of 500 rounds through her, sure felt sorry for that rifle.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henzo45` View Post
Hi guys, I am planning to add an SKS to my gun safe, and i need your wisdom.

I have been doing my own research, like look down the barrel for silver lining, or make sure all parts numbers are same. But i dont think this is enough.

Anyone want to teach this grasshopper how to choose best one in the bunch?

Thanks.
Save up some money buy a cz, trying to find a "good sks" is like lookin fer Bigfoot, there are lots of people claimin to have seen one, but well, you know, tryin to make one shoot straight is a waste of time and money in my opinion, these guns are antiques and not good ones like the m1 garands. Unless you like disappointments, I'd steer clear of the sks all together.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:17 PM

Default contrare ......contrare

Surprisingly the Chinese ones seem to group best.I have a CZ and it's a 1/2" gun as opposed to 2.5-3" SKS but the deer don't seem to be able to tell the difference out to 200 yards. I load 150gr Sierra .311's if you want more hitting power or for black bears but the 123 SP's have always exited so far on broadside shots.I don't bother with corrosive ammo as I hand load or buy bulk non-corrosive by the case.The ejection port can be altered to a 90 degree angle so the brass flies more to the right instead of 20 ' to the 1 o'clock position.Easy enough to use an empty box at the bench to control errant empties and not chip your neighbor's teeth..I like hunting with antiques like old mauser sporters,K-31's ,old lever actions and Hawkins. The venison tastes the same .......just the way it got there was more fun....remember what happened to Jim Zumbo when he criticized " black rifles" for hunting.........I think he's with Jimmy Hoffa................Harold

Last edited by Pioneer2; 02-19-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:21 PM

Default Not bad!

I got one, it was in great shape (Russian model).

Shoots groups just as tight as my 1984 Winchester 30-30 @ 100 yards.

I hit 8 inch plates at 100 yards with no issues, great gun overall.

I bought it because it has history!

I did "bed" the crossbolt section of the rifle and in doing so there is no wobble and it works great. JBWeld Marine - 15 minute application left it overnight with vasaline on the barrel and it works great! I can take pictures if anyone wants to see what was done.

I dont shoot surplus ammo. I dont want to deal with cleaning every little spot in the gun due to corrosion. This rifle only sees low cost non corrosive ammo when available.

I plink with my 30-30 and 22lr.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Wouldnt take one if it was free
You're more likely to pay well over 400. for one now.

Grizz
Old 03-25-2021, 06:44 AM

Default Firing pin

Make sure it’s loose, and check to see if the front site is off to one side. If it is it’s prob going to live there to shoot decent
Old 03-25-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I hit 8 inch plates at 100 yards with no issues, great gun overall.
Most shooters would not be impressed by such numbers.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:08 AM

Default 8" groups

Can be done with a smoothbore shotgun and slugs.Claybirds at a 100 is more acceptable and many will do that with good ammo. They are twice as accurate as an AK [we could have those in the 80's] A buddies daughter shot her moose at 75 yards with a CZ527 last fall.Dead is dead 123gr with about 16" penetration.Nice sausage.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

follow the positive directions here...buy one...shoot often...have fun!!!!

times like these we should support all shooting sports/activities even if we don't enjoy that type of specific event/outing etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-25-2021, 07:32 AM

Default if $$$$ no object

Buy a Yugo SKS they are often 2 " shooters but do not have chrome lined bores.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
here's a tip
save yer money and don't buy an sks
spend it on a way better rifle
you will understand this tip
after you have had it for awhile
THIS !!

Having (briefly) owned one, i will never buy one again. Complete disassembly to clean after shooting cheap n nasty corrosive mil surp ammo gets old really fast. Save you money.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:04 PM

The same people advising you not to buy, are probably the same people who were advising not to buy ten years ago when they were $175 at Canadian Tire. Of course now at $500 even I would be skeptical. But they were fun, and the Cleaning was only part of the fun. Mine was a Russian model with all Serial numbers matching, There was lots of non-corrosive ammo out there at close to the same price as the corrosive stuff. The steel cases can be picked up with a magnet, The Steel core bullets can be pulled and replaced with Hornady 123 gr for hunting.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
The same people advising you not to buy, are probably the same people who were advising not to buy ten years ago when they were $175 at Canadian Tire. Of course now at $500 even I would be skeptical. But they were fun, and the Cleaning was only part of the fun. Mine was a Russian model with all Serial numbers matching, There was lots of non-corrosive ammo out there at close to the same price as the corrosive stuff. The steel cases can be picked up with a magnet, The Steel core bullets can be pulled and replaced with Hornady 123 gr for hunting.
They're a genuine military collectible, fun to shoot and those of us who bought them for under 200. have seen a very significant appreciation in value. Even gold hasn't doubled in value over two years.

Grizz