Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Banned

Default Bernier plans for gun laws

Canadian Firearms laws are broken, and I want to fix them.

At the whim of a bureaucrat, firearms are assigned new classifications.

Legally purchased firearms are being made illegal, even though no laws have changed.

This needs to stop.

The firearms laws are so complicated, and so convoluted, that they have become the perfect example of injustice in the name of justice.

To fix this, I propose we replace the current Firearms Act with clear legislation based on reason, not on fear.

Firearms ownership is part of our shared Canadian heritage. We are a country founded on the fur trade. This needs to be recognized.

I also recognize that we need to protect public safety and avoid the excesses that exist south of the border.

There are three main areas to look at when considering firearms legislation. Licensing; classification of firearms; and magazine sizes.

I do not propose that we replace our current licensing system. Instead, we should ensure that firearms safety courses are more readily available, especially in rural and remote areas.

I will double the length of firearms licenses from 5 to 10 years.

Firearms license-holders are automatically subjected to daily background checks. If a firearms license-holder commits a crime, his or her license is revoked. There is no need to go through the renewal process every 5 years.

We need to provide clear, non-arbitrary legislation for what constitutes a non-restricted, restricted, or prohibited firearm.

Firearms should not be classified based on how they look, but on how they function.

I propose the following classifications:
Non-Restricted:

(a) a firearm that is not a prohibited or restricted firearm.

Prohibited:

(a) a fully-automatic firearm,

(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted, is less than 660 mm in length.

(c) a firearm that is listed as prohibited prior to June 20, 2016.

Restricted:

(a) a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm,

(b) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,

(c) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise.

This is in line with the Simplified Classification System, adopted by Conservative members at the Policy Convention in Vancouver last year.

The current regulation of magazine sizes is irrational. Our internationally competitive shooters are forced to practice with magazines below standard capacity.

This makes no sense. It’s clear that those who are not inclined to follow the law will not be deterred by having to remove a rivet from a magazine.

My proposal would repeal the ineffective, and frankly nonsensical, magazine capacity restrictions.

The classification of firearms should not change by the whim of the RCMP, or cabinet. It should require a change in law through Parliament to re-classify a firearm.

To respect our Canadian tradition of firearms ownership, and the principle of fairness, I would have the Canadian government reimburse all firearms owners for their loss of property resulting from the implementation of Bill C-68, and any subsequent legislation that caused the confiscation of their legally purchased firearms.

This policy, like all my policies, is based on freedom and responsibility, fairness and respect.

I believe it is the right answer for firearms legislation in Canada.

Seems to be pretty rational to me. Not as far reaching as I'd like, but a sensible step in the right direction.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 PM

I agree, it does seem rational.

I wonder what the fine print says.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 PM

I think I saw this already posted but don't know where.
Cat
Old 02-17-2017, 04:24 PM

Default What is this all about?

They were the Government for 10 years, why didn't they make this change then? Is this just about magazine size and inconvenience for competitive shooters?

I doubt that there are many votes left in this issue.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
They were the Government for 10 years, why didn't they make this change then? Is this just about magazine size and inconvenience for competitive shooters?

Harper was what I call an apologetic conservative.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:

At the moment there might not be many votes in the issue, but if the current government starts to stir that pot again, it will bring the voters out when the time comes.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:

There is more than magazine size mentioned, the changes to the classification system would be of interest to many people, as would the ten year firearms licenses.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Gone Hunting

It's called campaigning. The best before. date on these promises is the same date the campaign ends.

Conservatives had a majority and an opportunity to implement all these great ideas. Does anyone really believe they will implement this time around.

These guys are like the groundhog. Just woke up and are forecasting fair weather but only if you hire them to never do the job.

I was in a butcher shop in Vulcan. A customer came in and pressed the butcher as to the reason his new york strip was 10 bux a pound when No Frills had it on for 6 bux a pound.

The butcher asked why the customer didn't buy his steak at no frills. customer said they didn't have any left. The butcher replied that we sell it for 6 bux a pound too ......when we don't have any left.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-17-2017, 05:33 PM

If I read the classifications correctly then all firearms not prohibited would be restricted and there would be no firearms left to be classified as non restricted.

Is this a trap to restrict firearms further????
Old 02-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam View Post
If I read the classifications correctly then all firearms not prohibited would be restricted and there would be no firearms left to be classified as non restricted.

Is this a trap to restrict firearms further????
Definitely some odd wording and some key items left out. If that would be the complete definition of the firearms laws I would not like it. Too vague, and still technically criminalizing the ownership of firearms if one does not have a license.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:56 PM

Thumbs up Maxime Bernier

Two sources ...

https://canadianfirearmsblog.ca/maxi...rs-wont-worry/

http://www.maximebernier.com/a_fair_...icy_for_canada

Mac
Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 PM

Another CPC Leadership candidate I like (Pierre Lemieux), also claims to be a supporter of law-abiding gun owners, but so far he hasn't gone into the detail and depth that Bernier has on the subject.

This is how it reads on the Lemieux website ... http://www.pierrelemieux.ca/policy

Mac
Old 02-17-2017, 06:57 PM

looks like a kbecker who has figured out how to get his name into the minds of western Canadians and separate himself from the crowd. i'd like to believe it, and he sure has been emphatic about this issue. somehow the idea of trusting a frenchie with guns, money, and power still doesn't sit right with me. That being said, if you drew it up, he might be what we need to get rid of little potato. Someone who appeals to the east but has solid conservative values. better max than o'leary.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
looks like a kbecker who has figured out how to get his name into the minds of western Canadians and separate himself from the crowd. i'd like to believe it, and he sure has been emphatic about this issue. somehow the idea of trusting a frenchie with guns, money, and power still doesn't sit right with me. That being said, if you drew it up, he might be what we need to get rid of little potato. Someone who appeals to the east but has solid conservative values. better max than o'leary.
Nice summation, accurate and bleak.
It's time for AB to get out of confederation.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 PM

I dont like the sound of daily back round checks. There would have to be some very strict lines on what could cause a license to be revoked. To me thats a safety valve if the antis put a bill or whatever forward to change the minimum crime to parking tickets then most people would be done. As for renewing its not a bad thing that we do it every 5 years. Lets you update info and pictures semi regularly all we need is a minimum return time and a temp license. Just like drivers. Im probably not reading it well enough but its a good start.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
I dont like the sound of daily back round checks. There would have to be some very strict lines on what could cause a license to be revoked. To me thats a safety valve if the antis put a bill or whatever forward to change the minimum crime to parking tickets then most people would be done. As for renewing its not a bad thing that we do it every 5 years. Lets you update info and pictures semi regularly all we need is a minimum return time and a temp license. Just like drivers. Im probably not reading it well enough but its a good start.

If 10 years is good enough for a passport, then it's good enough for a firearms license.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:00 AM

In regards to the daily background checks and revoking licences due to crimes, this should be limited to violent crimes.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
If you hold a PAL you are already getting a background check every morning.

Like EH said, if 10 years is good enough for a passport, why not a firearms license?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Nice summation, accurate and bleak.
It's time for AB to get out of confederation.
Maybe we could join merica and all our problems would just go away.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:52 AM

Wouldn't say no to the changes!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 AM

Cool The grass is always greener . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
.... because it's so much better there

I'll take Canada's gun control concerns, over all the crap that goes on in the States, Any Day!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:44 AM

"Not all people suffering with mental illness need to be restricted from owning firearms but certainly some of them do" - Dr. David Swan, the lone sitting Alberta Liberal.

We all know that guns don't kill people, nut-jobs kill people. Nut-jobs kill themselves.

If there is any population that needs greater scrutiny before acquiring firearms, it is the mentally ill. I, personally, have know idea how this would be implemented because legit firearms owners will fight any restrictions and anti-firearms people would abuse the process to affect legit firearms owners.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Many people north of the 49th parallel have some delusion that anywhere south of the 49th parallel gun laws are lax or non existent ,

NOTHING could be farther than the truth, in fact many States have laws that make Canada look like the Wild Wild West when it comes to firearm ownership and restrictive State gun laws
Old 02-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Many people north of the 49th parallel have some delusion that anywhere south of the 49th parallel gun laws are lax or non existent ,

NOTHING could be farther than the truth, in fact many States have laws that make Canada look like the Wild Wild West when it comes to firearm ownership and restrictive State gun laws
Could you explain some of these?
Old 02-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Just google ant US State >> gun laws , each State is different for regs, yet all states have federal gun laws that also have to be obliged ,

Each US State has its own set of gun laws , what is a legal rifle ,shotgun etc in Washington may well be totally prohibited in Californication etc

In Canada gun regulations, ownership permits/licences are Federal , a legal rifle to possess in BC , is legal to possess in Sask or Albertastan , etc
Old 02-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just a for example in California.

Quote:
In California, only licensed California firearms dealers who possess a valid Certificate of Eligibility (COE) are authorized to engage in retail sales of firearms . These retail sales require the purchaser to provide personal identifier information for the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) document that the firearms dealer must submit to the DOJ . There is a mandatory 10-day waiting period before the firearms dealer can deliver the firearm to the purchaser . During this 10-day waiting period, the DOJ conducts a firearms eligibility background check to ensure the purchaser is not prohibited from lawfully possessing firearms .
In Alberta, I can walk into a store and walk out 15 minutes later with most long guns. Which makes sense. I already have a PAL, so why have a waiting period for every gun I buy. Crazy Cali.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

I understand that there are some states that have relatively restrictive firearms laws, obviously California being one, but to call Canada the Wild West? In California one can carry concealed, with a permit of course. That sounds better than our 'you should not rely on yourself for defense' gun laws.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
I understand that there are some states that have relatively restrictive firearms laws, obviously California being one, but to call Canada the Wild West? In California one can carry concealed, with a permit of course. That sounds better than our 'you should not rely on yourself for defense' gun laws.
First, what particular county you are in depicts if the county Sheriff will issue you a CCW, of coarse be sure to remember your pistol will have to be equipped with Stae Approved Micro-Stamping so all fired casing can be identified by California Bureau of Firearms ,

Out if State CCW are not sanctioned and if you cannot prove residency for California, you cannot buy or sell firearms if ANY type !

All firearms are now registered every time they are sold,or imported into Californication , ALL firearm transactions have to be conducted by a State Firearms Bureau Licensed dealer,
There are mandatory , waiting periods before transactions can be completed, there ARE NO PRIVATE GUN EXCHANGES PERMITTED, if you do get caught that constitutes a firearm offence and your gun ownin days are finished forever

You CANNOT own a .50 BMG rifle in Californication ( single shot or repeater )

There are several HUNDRED pages of gun restrictions in Californication land ,

You should spend a couple of days and read them,,,,

Last edited by elkdump; 02-18-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
First, what particular county you are in depicts if the county Sheriff will issue you a CCW, of coarse be sure to remember your pistol will have to be equipped with Stae Approved Micro-Stamping so all fired casing can be identified by California Bureau of Firearms ,

Out if State CCW are not sanctioned and if you cannot prove residency for California, you cannot buy or sell firearms if ANY type !

All firearms are now registered every time they are sold,or imported into Californication , ALL firearm transactions have to be conducted by a State Firearms Bureau Licensed dealer,
There are mandatory , waiting periods before transactions can be completed, there ARE NO PRIVATE GUN EXCHANGES PERMITTED, if you do get caught that constitutes a firearm offence and your gun ownin days are finished forever

You CANNOT own a .50 BMG rifle in Californication ( single shot or repeater )

There are several HUNDRED pages of gun restrictions in Californication land ,

You should spend a couple of days and read them,,,,
I did not know those, I stand corrected.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I did not know those, I stand corrected.
There are far more states with excessive guns regulations ,

than there is states with relaxed gun regulations,,,,,