Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:37 PM

He is still alive, try harder next time guys.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:46 PM

First off, I have to say that, IMO, there is no punishment too severe for this monster. And, now that that is out of the way ..............

I am really surprised that he was beaten. I thought that he would be spending the rest of his life in solitary confinement, away from the rest of the prison population.

I can only think of a few murderers in Canada who have committed acts that were this atrocious. People are angry and justifiably so. Three people have been murdered and the surviving family members will never be the same. The judge, the jurors, the lawyers and police will undoubtedly be affected for the rest of their lives. IMO, these people are also victims of this monster.

From the CBC article that was linked......
Quote:
"Obviously a child murder is one of the most horrific things that we as a society would abhor, and while he [was] awaiting trial on that matter he [needed] to be protected from potential assault from other inmates, that's just obvious," Savage said.

"So how this could possibly happen at this stage in the proceedings needs explaining."
I truly hope that the explanation does not involve a remand guard who vented his anger by wrongly allowing this monster to be in the same area as other inmates.
I truly hope that a good person did not let their anger get the better of them. The repercussions for that person could be severe, affecting both them and their family.
I truly hope that this monster who has destroyed so many lives has not claimed another victim.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
That concept beats the heck out of many other government make-work projects. Those unionized health care workers and guards need work too! I think as a result it should be an initiative from the left side of the political spectrum

Waiting for a news agency to FOI request the surveillance footage of the beating, I'd like to loop it into a heartwarming gif.

One way to mitigate the costs would be for the gov't to broadcast his beatings on Pay Per View. The funds could pay for his ongoing medical care and the leftovers could fund all manner of victims charities. Schedule it as such: any time the PPV kitty reaches $25-50K or some threshold that would double any expected medical costs, Garland is set out into general population
What the heck does unionized health care workers and guards have to do with it. I hope to hell that the guards have a union and a damn good one. In some ways I put prison guards on the same level as our armed forces. Not a safe job and I am sure a thankless one. They should be shown some respect. As for our veterans that is a whole other level and a crying shame of injustice how our Canadian Governments and Leaders have treated them.

But then you just probably wanted to union bash.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Banned

Hopefully when they transport him back to jail, they put him on a Greyhound bus
Old 02-18-2017, 06:37 PM

Cool

I hope the 4 guys who delivered the beating ....get a reduced sentence for good behavior !!!
Old 02-18-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting4? View Post
What the heck does unionized health care workers and guards have to do with it. I hope to hell that the guards have a union and a damn good one. In some ways I put prison guards on the same level as our armed forces. Not a safe job and I am sure a thankless one. They should be shown some respect. As for our veterans that is a whole other level and a crying shame of injustice how our Canadian Governments and Leaders have treated them.

But then you just probably wanted to union bash.
You've heavily misinterpreted what I was inferring as I was only noting that the left of centre political parties are the ones that pander to the public sector unions. I was being purposefully ironic for a laugh in suggesting that the NDP undertake a measure to encourage corporal punishment because they'd be the first ones to release criminals (after all, they're only bad because of how they grew up or how people were mean to them, or how the crimes really weren't their fault. Lefties are basically enablers for criminal recidivism.

I'm a union member myself, so take that FWIW if you think I'm bashing.

Not having seen the inside of a prison I'm guessing he'd not yet been transferred to his new federal facility and that Remand might not be a set up for the solitary or segregated custody that he'll be getting for the long term. He might soon be impossible to get at so the inmates did what they could when the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-18-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerman View Post
I hope the 4 guys who delivered the beating ....get a reduced sentence for good behavior !!!
Good candidates for a canteen donation
Old 02-18-2017, 11:36 PM

Good to hear that inmates are involved in the justice system.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It is not our place to make people suffer. Hang/shoot him and be done.
That's what he gets, that's what he deserves, I hope the rest of his pathetic existence is a horrific nightmare. Justice has been served, may he suffer, Amen.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:03 AM

what goes around comes around, with any luck he will get what he deserves. i feel that the death penalty would be to easy for him as i am sure the one's lives he took were not that quick and easy.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting4? View Post
What the heck does unionized health care workers and guards have to do with it. I hope to hell that the guards have a union and a damn good one. In some ways I put prison guards on the same level as our armed forces. Not a safe job and I am sure a thankless one. They should be shown some respect.
We do have a good union, and thank you for your support. Sometimes it can be frustrating to do a dangerous job that most others won't/can't do nor understand, and also deal with a lack of support and respect from the general public, doing a job that keeps these monsters away from those very same people.

I appreciate your words, thank you.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
We do have a good union, and thank you for your support. Sometimes it can be frustrating to do a dangerous job that most others won't/can't do nor understand, and also deal with a lack of support and respect from the general public, doing a job that keeps these monsters away from those very same people.

I appreciate your words, thank you.
you have my support 200% i cant imagine dealing with this prize, or any of the others that compare.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Tha bugger got 75 years...at a cost of what to us....so I started another thread, you do the math simply sick situation all around

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Good to hear that inmates are involved in the justice system.
Its Really too bad that inmates cant take care of these type cuz he will be removed from general population where street justice can take place.Lets face it rehabilitation isnt gonna happen so ''off'' the bastard and save the $100,000 a year x 50 before they let him out
Old 02-19-2017, 06:57 AM

The sad part about this attitude is society using convicted criminals to do its dirty work. These guys are in the jug not just as punishment but as a method of rehabilitation so we're told. Beating the tar out of another inmate would set them back in their road to recovery. Of course if garland is guilty he deserves death but society should have the balls to take care of it.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lites out View Post
Its Really too bad that inmates cant take care of these type cuz he will be removed from general population where street justice can take place.Lets face it rehabilitation isnt gonna happen so ''off'' the bastard and save the $100,000 a year x 50 before they let him out
I agree, it makes no sense to me to keep a human in jail for the rest of his life.
He gets no life, just existing and we get a big fat bill for the costs of housing him.

If there were hope of rehabilitation and release then it might make sense, but at his age he isn't ever getting out.

Of course there are those who were wrongfully convicted. I think we could solve that issue too. Put the people who put that Innocent man in jail, it the cell that prisoner lived in, then throw away the key.

We have deterrents for the rest of us, why not for people who have the power to put us in jail without just cause?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

We have deterrents for the rest of us, why not for people who have the power to put us in jail without just cause?

If you support going down that road then we could also imprison the psychiatrists and parole boards who set killers back out among us. In a CBC article detailing Garlands prior criminal history that wasn't admissible in court, it noted the assumed identity he lived under for many years, stolen from a 14 year old who died in a car accident decades ago. Garland also operated a meth lab. He's been diagnosed with ADD and when he was previously paroled his psychiatrist noted he was unlikely to pose a risk of violence to help him get out after 6 months of a 3 year sentence. Sure, even if he had served his full term he'd have been out in time for the murder, but perhaps he wouldn't have been out in time to have made enemies with Alvin Liknes in the first place as that oil pump project would have been done already? That psychiatrists conclusion set Garland out 2.5 years early and look what he did with his time.....

Psychiatrists just said Vince Li was unlikely to reoffend so he's out among us now, and both of these killers have substantial mental health issues. Why some people have so much more sympathy for Li I'll never figure out. Rabid dogs get a bang-flop, Garland and Li should both be treated similarly. Nothing positive for society will ever result from such a person being free; zip, zilch, nada.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
The sad part about this attitude is society using convicted criminals to do its dirty work. These guys are in the jug not just as punishment but as a method of rehabilitation so we're told. Beating the tar out of another inmate would set them back in their road to recovery. Of course if garland is guilty he deserves death but society should have the balls to take care of it.
There seems to be an echo in here.lol

THis^^^^^^^

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-19-2017, 10:17 AM

He will likely end up in segregation someplace to keep him safe.
His food will never be the best cause everyone knows where the food goes and to whom it is being served.
Sucks to be him.
NOT !!!!!!
Rob
Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 AM

Should stick him in solitary for 5 years. Make him go crazy. Don't talk to him, just hand food through a small door.

After that, take him out and hang him on live tv. He deserves it.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Gone Hunting

In cases such as this, I'd be okay with letting the affected families decide on what kind of confinement/punishment is suitable
Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
In cases such as this, I'd be okay with letting the affected families decide on what kind of confinement/punishment is suitable
Yes, this is as far as I would go. Victims should mete punishment. Be it death penalty or whatever.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
x2. Slippery slope, if laws are not adequate, they have to be changed, but searching for justice outside of laws leads disregard of legal system and anarchy
Old 02-19-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Really?
yes really
I don't follow the media and news
because its usually lies and partial truths and made up stories
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 02-20-2017, 12:18 PM

He got beat up at the Calgary Remand Centre while awaiting transfer to the big house. The remand centre is full of wanna be tough guys and low level losers. This little incident just might help him get protective custody. Any way kudos to the guys that welcomed him with open arms and closed fists.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:38 PM

I saw a quote on CTV from a local lawyer whom I was expecting to have been Garlands defense attorney, mostly because I've seen him defending the absolute worst scumbags in high-profile cases that Calgary has had to offer over the years. Apparently people who are applauding Garlands mild tune-up are baaaad, mmmm-kayyy . I'll take that as a compliment as the lawyer (Balfour Der) who was passing the accusation is the polar opposite of a principled man.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/totally...ting-1.3292818

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I saw a quote on CTV from a local lawyer whom I was expecting to have been Garlands defense attorney, mostly because I've seen him defending the absolute worst scumbags in high-profile cases that Calgary has had to offer over the years. Apparently people who are applauding Garlands mild tune-up are baaaad, mmmm-kayyy . I'll take that as a compliment as the lawyer (Balfour Der) who was passing the accusation is the polar opposite of a principled man.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/totally...ting-1.3292818
This ^^^^!!....that weasel calling anyone down for their actions is pitiful.....
Old 02-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Kinda reduces us to the same class as him doesn't it.
This line got me to thinking. I do not think celebrating revenge against this guy, does any good for anyone. I have heard it said that the jailers are every much imprisoned as those imprisoned, I admire those who do this job and even those who will protect this unworthy specimen of humanity, The trial is over and this guy will probably spend the rest of his life imprisoned. Time to close the door and forget him. I do not want to honor him with even the mention of his name. I do not want to be in prison with him, but that is what I do when I devote any thought to him. Evil is in the world but I do not think it good for anyone to invite it in to ones mind. Just my thoughts and now I am going to get up and think of a few good things.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:50 PM

Next we will be reading about he slipped and fell onto a shank. Well hopefully we will be reading about that...

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 PM

I imagine that Justin will be pardoning him any day now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Closed Thread