Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 03:08 PM

Default Antelope European Mount.

Just a quick question for you guys out there that have done a European mount on an Antelope. I did my first this year just like all my deer in the past, boiled, hydrogen peroxide paste. It looks great.
However I took the sheath off the horns today and noticed a little bit of mold starting to grow on the inside of one sheaths. Anyone else ever experience this, if so how do Stop it? Maybe the inside of the sheath was still wet when I put it back on a few months ago?

Thanks for the help
Old 02-18-2017, 03:24 PM

Iirc you have to seal/stabilize the horn with something. It will breakdown over time if not sealed. That's why it's very rare to find pronghorn sheds. Best bet is a call to one of the taxidermists that sponsor this site, as now you also have the mold to contend with.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPaul View Post
Just a quick question for you guys out there that have done a European mount on an Antelope. I did my first this year just like all my deer in the past, boiled, hydrogen peroxide paste. It looks great.
However I took the sheath off the horns today and noticed a little bit of mold starting to grow on the inside of one sheaths. Anyone else ever experience this, if so how do Stop it? Maybe the inside of the sheath was still wet when I put it back on a few months ago?

Thanks for the help

Did you degrease the skull as well ? Me thinks it wasnt quite dry or there is a spot of oil or flesh that u might have missed. Just give it a spray of disinfectant and let it dry good, it should be fine