Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Default Any VW or Audi 1.8T owners?

I bought a 1.8T Passat with an unknown history and found it needed a turbo. I replaced the centre section of the turbo and installed it and now the engine runs great and stopped burning oil.

My question is, should I be hearing the turbo whine? I can hear it faintly in the background when accelerating. I just want to know if it's normal to hear it. I sounds a bit like the fuzz is on my tail.

Can anyone tell me if it's normal? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 PM

I have an '03 jetta 1.8t and it's normal to be able to hear the turbo a little when accelerating but shouldn't really be noticeable if you're listening to the radio. I've had mine for 9 years and it's been a great motor, just make sure to run full synthetic and change the timing belt/ tensioner and water pump every 100k.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 PM

The car was purchased at an auction. The turbo was long gone and sludged up the engine, clogging the oil pickup tube in the process. The seller wired the oil pressure wire to ground so it wouldn't show the zero oil pressure. What a snake. I pulled a few bearing caps and they all looked good so I continued with the repairs.

It has a new belt tensioner, cam chain tensioner (yes it has both, great engineering, VW! ) but not sure about the water pump. I guess they'd have done it though. The car is mint inside and out, I paid $800 for it and another $100 for the turbo parts so I'm felling pretty good about it now.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:38 PM

Turbo whine is normal, thankfully its subtle enough that one can choose to not notice it or pay attention to it at their preference. If a person puts on an aftermarket air filter that bypasses the normal ducting then the noise can increase significantly.

Is yours a sedan or wagon? Mine is a wagon. If you're ever parts hunting for it at self-serve yards, keep in mind that similar year Audi A4's will be mechanically identical up until ..... some year that I can't recall, lol.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:45 PM

This one is a sedan. There's one more snag, an airbag light. I'm wondering how to diagnose it.

I've read it can be the airbag module in the console.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:07 PM

I had an 03 Jetta 1.8T. Of the many problems, one was the airbag light. Twice diagnosed at the dealership as a sensor and only that. I had givin them enough money I chose not to replace the sensor lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 PM

I should say, it was a fun little car when it was working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk