Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

Default Rimfire Legal for Coyotes?

So my brother and I are going out to sight in our new 17hmr and I mentioned that maybe we'll see a coyote or 2. He informed me that it is illegal to shoot Coyotes with a rimfire rifle in BC. I always figured it is legal to shoot them with a rimfire (22lr), but figured I'd check the regs. While I'm researching this, thought I might get quicker feedback from members on forum. I don't think a rimfire is the proper rifle for a Coyote, but never thought it was illegal here in AB.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Not in Alberta as far as I know but not the best, no
Cat
Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not in Alberta as far as I know but not the best, no
Cat
Damn! It can be frustrating at times, trying to figure out the regs. All these years of shooting Coyotes and now I'm not 100% sure about this rimfire question. Can't find anything that says either way.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Damn! It can be frustrating at times, trying to figure out the regs. All these years of shooting Coyotes and now I'm not 100% sure about this rimfire question. Can't find anything that says either way.
coyotes Are not classed as big game and that is the main area where the minimum bullet regulations are stated .
The reason I would not personally use one is most of my coyotes were and are shot at around 150 to 250 meters and a Centre fire rifle is far superior at those ranges IMO
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Banned

It is legal to use a rimfire rifle to shoot coyotes. 100%
I hated to bother a CO on family day when they are probably out there visiting people fishing on family day. I know they used to give out free jigs and other things for families out on the ice, but I had to be sure.
It's good to be 100% sure.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
It is legal to use a rimfire rifle to shoot coyotes. 100%
I hated to bother a CO on family day when they are probably out there visiting people fishing on family day. I know they used to give out free jigs and other things for families out on the ice, but I had to be sure.

I wonder if they are handing out confiscated fishing jigs

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 AM

If I am specifically targeting coyotes, I carry a centerfire, however, if I an out shooting ground squirrels, and I come across a coyote at very close range while carrying a rimfire, I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot.

As for the regulations. as Cat pointed out, coyotes are not considered big game in Alberta, so there is no caliber restriction to hunt them. The regulations generally emphasize what is illegal, if they were to list everything that is legal to do, they would be the size of an encyclopedia.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I wonder if they are handing out confiscated fishing jigs
Now, now, be nice. The other day a police officer gave my grandson a toy EPS badge. My grandson sure was excited.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 AM

.22 cal works just fine on coyotes.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
.22 cal works just fine on coyotes.
Not at any where but very close range it doesn't , not a .22 rimfire anyway
Cat
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Cat
That's why you call them in. Good out to about a 100 yards.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe if you don't care about recovering them,then yes,a .22 LR will kill a coyote @100y......eventually.
Not a good choice at all IMO other then dispatching trapped coyotes with close range head shot.
I'd want a .22WMR minimum,and have used same on baited yotes @100y.
I've also once shot a yote broadside double lunger thru chest @25y with .22LR and he went a longgggg ways before expiring,if it weren't for snow I'd have never found him.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would never use a 22lr on a coyote at a hundred yards. Thats just me, i may under perfect conditions use a 17hmr to a hundred yards but they use a ballistic type tip
Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Was it a hollow point ?
I'm kinda with ram crazy on this one a good .22 bullet will let the air out of a yote out to about 100 yards. 8 would
Rather hit them harder with a bigger round but that's not what the debate is about.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Where I call we rarely get them inside 100 and typically my baits are set at 200 meters because the coyotes are so suspicious
For the most part The only time I have seen them inside 100 is on a " drive by"!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-20-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM

I have had coyotes come in to 30 feet, but once they have been shot at or called, they usually learn quickly. And even if one from the pack comes in close, after the first shot, you are lucky to get shots at 200 yards on the rest of the pack.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Last 10 yotes i shot were with my .17 called them all in 110 yrdsthe farthest useually all under 50 yrds all 1 shot kills set up calling in slough bottoms or small clearings and learn how to bring them in close !
Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Where I call we rarely get them inside 100 and typically my baits are set at 200 meters because the coyotes are so suspicious
For the most part The only time I have seen them inside 100 is on a " drive by"!
Cat
We baited them onto the ice in front of my bud's lakefront cabin in NB and shot dogs all winter.Bait was at 100-120 yards because all we had was .22WMR and <.23 cal restriction for centerfires after deer season ends in Nov. so couldn't use our deer rifles....plus those are REALLY LOUD at night on a 10mile long lake,lol.
Iirc he shot 23 off that bait pile a cpl winters ago from the warmth and comfort of kitchen table/sliding window.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Maybe if you don't care about recovering them,then yes,a .22 LR will kill a coyote @100y......eventually.
Not a good choice at all IMO other then dispatching trapped coyotes with close range head shot.
I'd want a .22WMR minimum,and have used same on baited yotes @100y.
I've also once shot a yote broadside double lunger thru chest @25y with .22LR and he went a longgggg ways before expiring,if it weren't for snow I'd have never found him.
Can recover all the coyotes I shoot. All you have to do is hang around a dead cow carcass and I can guarantee you will shoot more than just one in a day, and yes you use a hollow point.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM

Default If you want to talk illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
We baited them onto the ice in front of my bud's lakefront cabin in NB and shot dogs all winter.Bait was at 100-120 yards because all we had was .22WMR and <.23 cal restriction for centerfires after deer season ends in Nov. so couldn't use our deer rifles....plus those are REALLY LOUD at night on a 10mile long lake,lol.
Iirc he shot 23 off that bait pile a cpl winters ago from the warmth and comfort of kitchen table/sliding window.
Shooting any game at night is always illegal
Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
Shooting any game at night is always illegal
The regulations vary from province to province.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Can recover all the coyotes I shoot. All you have to do is hang around a dead cow carcass and I can guarantee you will shoot more than just one in a day, and yes you use a hollow point.
We hunted over dead stock quite often, horses and sheep as well as cows.
It doesn't take long for coyotes to get bait smart
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-20-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The regulations vary from province to province.
Actually night hunting coyotes in NB is in fact illegal.
The only night hunting allowed is coons WITH an approved coonhound,and must notify local DNR of hunting area in advance.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:58 PM

I shot one yesterday on the move 22lr hollow point @75 yards. 10 yards and piled up. I'd go out to 100 yards if they were broadside and not moving no problem.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:51 PM

Shot coyote at 75+ yards and it definitely put him on the ground but be prepared to put another round in em when they are down. I used a .17hmr.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Cat
Ahhh wrong thier cat, call them in and easily dead dawg down 50 yards and under from my personal experience. Some even at 100 yards, seen that too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-20-2017, 11:59 PM

Love my .17 WSM. Really fast & hits hard with a 20 or 25 gr balistic tip. Fun to shoot & a lot cheaper then my .204. Beats up the yotes to 150 yards. Biggest nemesis of the rimfires is wind. If it's windy I will stick with a centerfire.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ahhh wrong thier cat, call them in and easily dead dawg down 50 yards and under from my personal experience. Some even at 100 yards, seen that too.
I have used a .22 to kill a black bear , It can be done , but I would never recommend the .22 rimfire as a dedicated coyote rifle either .
We have choices in life these days and that is my opinion, others have different opinions however .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-21-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Default rimfire coyotes

I've used a 17HMR on coyotes with success but it's always been under 100 yards and have always been ready with follow-up shots.
Pretty easy with the right gun...
Had a bolt action Anschutz but sold that in lieu of a Volquartsen semi-automatic 17HMR and use 20gr. GamePoint CCI ammo.

Prefer a centre-fire rifle for coyotes but sometimes hunting in populated areas..subdivisons ..near livestock, requires a smaller calibre.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 AM

I have always advocated using a very fast varmint cartridge with very light jacketed bullets that will not ricochet near livestock , a .22 is probably the worst choice there but some of the faster rimfire might work well.
I never had to worry about that using TNT's however
Cat