Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 07:31 PM

Default Question for the Fathers.....

My son is 6 years old and has really shown an interest in hunting. He loves Bass Pro and Cabelas. I took him to the sportsman show last weekend and he had a great time. How did you introduce your kids to firearms? He has a few toy guns he plays with but I want to start the transition that he understands toy vs. real. I have my old bb gun that he has asked a few questions about. What age did you let your child shoot a bb gun? What did you do for training? I was looking for an online child firearm safety course but could't find much. What worked well and what didn't? Just looking for any help in general. Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 PM

As long as you are aupervising I dont think 6 is unreasonable for a BB gun
Set up some cans at 10 feet, take him through safe handling and have fun!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 PM

Every kid us different and there is not a standard age at which they start because of this

I didn't start with a BB gun but was shooting registered smallbore matches before I was ten.
My younger brothers started A little older age but my older brother started much younger .
Interest is the big one, if he shows interest get after it under adult supervision .
If the kid isn't interested wait until they are .
Cat
Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 PM

I started taking my son on sheep hunting trips when he was 4 yrs. old, and the little bugger could climb mountains with no problem. He started to shoot a .22 at this age as well. he didn't hit many gophers but it was all about getting him comfortable shooting. He moved to a .243 win when he was 6 yrs. old and never looked back. We go out a fair amount in the summer time and shoot gophers, and he is pretty good at hitting gophers out at the 100 yrd. mark. He still gets buck fever when we go deer hunting, and all you have to tell him just take your time and then he can shoot good.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Depends where you are. If all you can use is a bb gun or pellet gun where you live than thats what you do. If you live in an area where 22 is fine to shoot or can get to the range easy than its fine. The basics are the basics no diffrence if he learns it on .22lr or .177. If you go pellet gun get a break barrel. He will grow into it and it takes no co2.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 PM

This is a question with no right or wrong answer...its totally dependent on you and your son and what you are both comfortable with. My son was shooting gophers with a 22 at age 4, and has progressed up now to a .223 at age 7. Given the right conditions (nd he wouldnt shoot unless conditions were right), I would trust him 10 out of 10 times to make a shot at 200yds with his .223 (he actually killed his first called out yote at 198yds earlier this winter). That being said, we have spent countless evenings shooting, and getting him to the stage he is at. I wouldnt be surprised if he has sent over 2000rnds or more down the pipe of his .22 and .223, but he LOVES shooting and would go daily, so I have chosen to foster that every chance I can. On the flip side, I have friends whose kids are on the fence about it, and they have tried to "force" it a bit on the kids, and it didnt work at all.

The key is getting them to express interest, and then keeping it interesting. When he was learning (and even now at further ranges where he might not shoot a 1.5-2MOA group, but still has the capability to make a decent shot), we shoot balloons. Theres something that seems to keep him interested watching them pop, plus I can set up a "range" for him at a bunch of different yardages and he can shoot through all the balloons. Thats what worked for me, but I think every parent has to figure it out.

I also learned that my son is very recoil shy, and as a result have limited him to a .223 and likely will for a couple more years at least....he took one shot out of a .243, and the recoil bothered him, even though that is what I wanted him to be shooting as opposed to the .223. Certainly dont want to push them into calibers they cant handle, or at best they will develop bad technique that will be harder than heck to correct, or at worst will not want to shoot anymore.

Anyway, have fun with it! going through this journey with my boy has undoubtedly been the best and most rewarding experience I have had in life so far, and look forward to the rest of the journey until he's calling me "old school" and starts teaching me things, lol.

Last edited by 300magman; 02-20-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Safety & fun in that order. Skills will develop fine if the first two are followed to the letter. If you really want him to shoot BB, be sure to shoot paper or cardboard that will limit ricochet.

I started my boys on a .22. Single shot bolt action, bolt open until just before aiming. No semi-autos until they are old enough to buy their own. Shoot cans filled with water, balloons, targets, gophers, water filled milk jugs big close safe target.

Stop them before they are sick of it. Leave them wanting a little more vs too much.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Each child is different.
You'll know when the time is right.

FWIW: the Pit Boss was hanging out in the gun room by the "terrible 2's"(he was pretty good actually) by around age 5 or 6 he was shooting my old BB rifle.(woulda been sooner but he was a bit of a runt as a child)
He was shooting .22 by age 8 if my memory serves me correct. By age 10 or 11 he was shooting small bore shillouette, and ATA trap.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-20-2017, 10:08 PM

Son started with a 22 at age 4, 25-06 and 410 around age 10.
Every child is different so the right age to start will vary
As long as they can follow and understand the safety aspect of shooting, while still having fun, they are ready to supervised shooting
Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 PM

My 5 year old warrior received a BB gun from santa. Going to let him shoot the cooey model 39 when he's ready.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Break barrel pellet rifle, single shot 22, targets, dad right by his side, shoot lots with him, teach rifle safety, enjoy those times then some day you will watch him or her through the rifle over thier shoulder and say" see you after dark"as you go to your blinds, very good times can be shared in the shooting, outdoors sports/recreation with your kids.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Safety & fun in that order. Skills will develop fine if the first two are followed to the letter. If you really want him to shoot BB, be sure to shoot paper or cardboard that will limit ricochet.

I started my boys on a .22. Single shot bolt action, bolt open until just before aiming. No semi-autos until they are old enough to buy their own. Shoot cans filled with water, balloons, targets, gophers, water filled milk jugs big close safe target.

Stop them before they are sick of it. Leave them wanting a little more vs too much.
Couldn't agree more, BB guns & eye injuries are the biggest worry. Limit ricochet & saftey/ shooting glasses a must. I took a BB on the bridge of my nose when I was about 9 from a riccochet off a wood surface. An inch to the right or left, would have been a glass eye. Keep it fun but saftey first. I'm in my 50s and still love to shoot. Thanks Dad!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 AM

Great thread, I'm in the same boat as you slabm7. I'll be introducing my son to a 22 soon and picked up some great tips here.

He has been using a bow for a few years and think this has been a good introduction to safety. Its not a bad option to start with I reckon.

300magman - the balloon idea sound like a great plan!

Last edited by Anotherkiwi; 02-21-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:34 AM

22 Savage rascal, shooting spinning targets and such and of course beating dad and making a big deal of it.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM

My girls were 8&6 shooting the single shot cooey off a bench. Firearms safety being reinforced but they are quite young so it has to be kinda drilled in , but in a nice way.
Hearing protection and safety glasses are a must. Have fun.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:59 AM

I just left the safe open and the ammunition out, and figured they'd start when they were ready.....

Well, not exactly like that. When they asked to go shooting with me, I took them along, and explained every aspect of gun safety repeatedly, till they could tell if an adult at the range was being safe or not. And I let them shoot, my old bolt action Marlin .22, and up from there. Rifles, shotguns, pistols. Some still enjoy shooting with me, some not so much, but they all know the Rules. Not even sure their ages, some as early as 5, some not till probably 12 or 13. I expect my youngest will be the one to get her PAL first, and if she is the only one who does, she is going to get a very valuable collection some day!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-21-2017, 09:10 AM

I had the pleasure of growing up at a childrens summer camp that had a riflery program and during our 3 family camps each summer i got to witness and aid a lot of parents in teaching their kids to shoot a pellet gun.
1. Keep it fun. No matter what if they are not having fun they will not want to do it again. Shooting reactive targets like pop cans, milk jugs, stale crackers etc helps keep the excitement level up.
2. Start teaching safety and the importance of it well before you ever touch the gun. If you give them the gun first i find they are often too stoked to listen to the safety brief.
3. If they get bored dont force it. I witnessed a
Lot of what we dubbed "army dads" trying to force the love of shooting on their kids and it never ended up with the kid wanting to stay.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 AM

I've started teaching with the nerf rifles the boys have. Keep them stored in the gun safe with my rifles. Practice shooting at a cardboard deer target in the basement. 4 year old knows to keep the barrel pointing up in the sky or down to the ground if the two year old doesn't stay out of the way.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 AM

My daughter is only 9 months old and I am already thinking about this. For now my wife and I do things outside with her as much as possible - hopefully the love for the outdoor will come and with that and interest in hunting and fishing. Certainly some great advise coming through the screen here that I will be taking into account when the time comes.

Myself growing up, I had no mentor really. Ran around through the bush with my brothers and our BB/pellet guns. Then moved into the pastures with my buddy and the 22s shooting gophers. How no one was ever injure? There must be a God.

When it comes to my kids, there will most definitely be safety and learning put in place from the start, as well as respect for both the methods used to hunt/fish and the quarry.

I promote environmental conservation.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 AM

I started my son when he was 6 with a BB gun and gun safety. tin cans and zombie gopher targets in the back yard. I also started taking him on easier overnight deer and elk hunts at that time. My daughter is younger and we picked up a savage rascal and she skipped the bb gun stage completely. They shoot that .22 and occasionally a "Bigger gun" like my 9mm carbine or sks but primarily stick with the rascal and the 10/22. Problem now is they both want to tag along on hunting trips. My son carries his .22 for grouse/ptarmigan when we are out now and he has not connected yet but will soon.

the focus needs to be on safety and fun, I never push it too hard with the shooting or hunting. They like reactive targets more than paper so I have been building up my steel targets. When hunting I have no intention of "given er" when they are along, I can do that on my own. We take lots of breaks, watch lots, look lots, talk lots, it is more about cultivating the experience and the desire so that it hopefully takes for a lifetime interest.

I have more fun when they are along and we only get a grouse than being on my own and getting a deer, and I love watching them try and do better with shooting, taking time to aim, and telling to watch each other's trigger finger.

One of the best moments was when my six year old daughter asked me one day when we were getting ready to go to the range "Daddy have you seen my mag?".... priceless
Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Got my son and Thompson center break action youth 22 for Christmas when he was 6, taught him about safety before I taught him how to load it, he's 10 now and he's been using my old semi auto 22 for the last couple years, his little sister uses the Thompson now, he shoots pigeons and skeet with my 410, I think he's about ready for his own 223 soon, he shot mine a couple times at long range and consistently rang a gong at 500 yards, the balloon idea is a great one, I fill them with hydrogen and give them a few feet on a tether so that they can drift in the breeze, helps him time his shots, (coyotes don't always hold steady and wait for the shot) .
Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 PM

Not sure if this part has been addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
My son is 6 years old and has really shown an interest in hunting. He loves Bass Pro and Cabelas. I took him to the sportsman show last weekend and he had a great time. How did you introduce your kids to firearms? He has a few toy guns he plays with but I want to start the transition that he understands toy vs. real. I have my old bb gun that he has asked a few questions about. What age did you let your child shoot a bb gun? What did you do for training? I was looking for an online child firearm safety course but could't find much. What worked well and what didn't? Just looking for any help in general. Thanks
This is SO important.

Children (none are too young) and some adults (too many ) need to learn what Death is and the correlation with firearms.
They NEED to learn what Dead is, to experience it for themselves so that it is not just a vague concept.

Shooting targets such as cans, waterjugs or fruit can help the kids understand the harm that can occur from being hit by a bullet.
Killing an animal such as a gopher or a pigeon exemplifies the safety concern better than anything else. Have them see first hand that the gun will kill, and express that the same can happen to people.
Combine this real life/death teachings along with firearm safety protocols such as to Always treat a gun as if it is loaded and too Never point a gun at a person.

Children will understand these lessons.
Some adults, not so much.

My father had relatively unique access to drive this point home. Being a surgeon, he was able to take me into the post-op care wing to introduce me to people that were shot, either on purpose or accident. He did the same thing for me with motorbikes injuries.

Nothing drives home firearm safety like seeing guys who shot their leg off while "cleaning" an "unloaded" firearm.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-21-2017, 12:38 PM

My 4 year old constantly tells me how excited he is to go hunting. Took him "gopher hunting" last summer. He dressed up in his camo and was all excited. He mostly just watched and then we would walk around and he would look at the dead gophers. Loved every minute of it. I let him shoot the .22 ( i held most of the weight and pointed it in the general direction of the hill that a gopher was on) and he pulled the trigger. I told him he shot a gopher (one that i had already shot and told him he shot one). He was so excited he made me take a picture of him with it. He still tells everybody that he shot a gopher and it was one of his favorite memories from last summer. He is very excited to get out and do it again this spring/summer. I am contemplating taking him out on a deer hunt or two this year as well. As far as being young for guns, he handled the 22 just fine. Obviously i helped him with the hold and the safety of it, but he was a champ. Bought him a new bb gun that i am excited to take out and let him shoot. I have thought that a pellet gun would be safer to teach kids with, as the pellets don't ricochet as much as a bb does. If the kids are showing interest, get them out there and make some memories. I remember getting my first bb gun when i was 9. Head out the grandparents farm and had a blast. I was out all day shooting grasshoppers, mice, sparrows etc.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:39 PM

My youngest started coming with me at 2

Did it change my hunts? Yup.
Did it matter to me? Nope

Shot his first bear the spring before Grade 1. 44-40 Winchester.

He shot it quite well. Just enough recoil to bump him

300 Win mag at 10 yrs old. Still shoots it.

Depends on the kid. And the dad.

I remember my pal Pat Kabongo ( Edmonton Eskimos) cringing the first time he saw my son shoot that rifle. Lol

I dont even enjoy hunting/shooting unless he is with me.

And his "over the head" trick shooting with a 20" double barrel 12 g is something to see....

I think that letting your child decide when they are ready is important. Just offer, let them decide, and go from there. Maybe all they will ever wanna shoot is a .22....GREAT! Or they wanna try the 30-06...GREAT!

Last edited by huntinstuff; 02-21-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:59 PM

My daughter waS shooting at 5yrs old. 22 off bags at the gun range. Required a booster seat though.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
My daughter waS shooting at 5yrs old. 22 off bags at the gun range. Required a booster seat though.
Picturing a little kid in a booster seat, rifle shouldered, big ear protectors on...... lol

Beautiful!!!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Default Questions for fathers

I started my son off with a red rider bb gun exactly like the one in "A christmas story" when he was 10.
when I saw he was handle the rifle with care, like a real rifle then I got him to shoot my 22 mag, he has gotten pretty good at shooting it and handling. He has yet to shoot my SKS and Mosin Nagant. Every time I go to the range I try to take him along. Now @ 14 my son got a Marlin .22 LR with a scope attachment for Christmas. He knows that when I get to the range the Military comes out in me, and he knows I'm dead serious about rifle safety.

Viking Caliber
Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Picturing a little kid in a booster seat, rifle shouldered, big ear protectors on...... lol

Beautiful!!!!!
She did 6 for 7 clays at 50m. I was amazed.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 PM

Default kids

Just don't over gun the kid start slow...work up to the heavier calibers... a flinch is a terrible thing... and never truly goes away.

My boys were shooting by 4 and 5
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:48 PM

Oldest daughter could pretty much recite the firearms safety program at 6, and started firing 22s at targets supervised. Now that all 3 kids are older, we really enjoy a heavy day of hunting the gopher pastures, and look forward to hunting elk etc soon. Youngest girl started on the .243 with reduced loads at 9 years old, and at 10 worked up the jam to fire the 12ga 1187. No problem. Make it a special education, keep it safe and fun.