Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Ice hut vandals?/

I'm thinking seriously about building a nice ice hut for next season.
I have some concerns about leaving it on the ice?

Do you guys with shacks have much trouble with the idiots vandalizing them?

Do you leave them unlocked? Any ideas for security?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-14-2009, 03:20 AM
Banned

Locking it will help, but wont stop the drunk lunatics that get a kick out of ruining other peoples stuff. I've seen shacks completely demolished. My suggestion is put it in a place not many people go. Might want to rig up something where when you open a door a huge butchers knife comes flying down on whoever sneaks in. Again wont stop the guys who choose to burn it down or ram their trucks into it but you get the idea.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:53 AM

i would leave it unlocked and save some wear and tear on it, most people will respect THE SHACK . If it's locked they will want to know whats inside...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grice View Post
i would leave it unlocked and save some wear and tear on it, most people will respect THE SHACK . If it's locked they will want to know whats inside...
Yup probably the best way to go. Leave some stuff in there if you wish just not the $$ stuff.

Better than Manslaughter or 1st degree murder with the butcher knife idea. Some peoples children I tell ya.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 AM

I know of a couple guys on buffalo lake had 2 nice shacks and some idioits one night burnt them down it makes you wonder if its worth it
Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 AM

they have been hitting slyvan and gull again this year brownlows and by the marnia that i know of last year was bad at brownlows had my busted into nonstop tried the unlock thing and and got sick of people using it for everything from a toilet to a party house they stole my kids hockey sticks (little sticks) busted benches etc etc had someone try to drill a hole with a big power auger that didn't fit the smaller hole i was using makes a mess of the floor so it's not just punks but lazy fisherman also unfortunatly
i don't have a shack on any lake this year first time in over ten years no shack out just got sick of cleaning up garbage and fixing busted stuff
if possable build one that can be loaded onto a trailer and taken home every night that is what i'm going to try next year as i have 3 kids that love to go fishing with me so a small one isn't an option for me
or stay with the mob of other shacks and hope for the best
the if it's not yours don't touch it therory don't work on the lake i wish it did
some guys have good luck some don't
Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 AM

I AGREE ON THE "if it's not yours don't touch it theory" when will people learn. Myself personally i would feel a little awkward using someone else's shack and then have the owner show up...i would feel like a goof.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Unfortuately all its takes is just one bad experience. If it wasn't for those idiots, I would have at least 1-2 huts at different spots and on different Lakes.
Nowadays, I have gone with Flipover tent sleds. Have a one man and 2 Man and pack everything up when I leave. Just don't need the frustration of heading out with friends only to have the outing ruined and to find out your Shack been Vandalized.
From another Forum, they organized a "Neighborhood Shanty Watch" Stickers would be placed on the Shanty's and other Members would keep an eye on them. Well organized and Vandals have been called and arrested by local authorities.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Throw an alarm in it , and have it run off a solar panel , I know a fella on Pigeon lake who has his armed with an old Car alarm and runs it off a solar panel , Sure would scare the crap outta anyone trying to get in . Just has it hooked up to a sensor like you would have in your house alarm system .
Old 03-14-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Throw an alarm in it , and have it run off a solar panel , I know a fella on Pigeon lake who has his armed with an old Car alarm and runs it off a solar panel , Sure would scare the crap outta anyone trying to get in . Just has it hooked up to a sensor like you would have in your house alarm system .
Can you imagine how dirty that thief's pants would be? Thinking they had an easy target sneaking up in the pitch black in the middle of the night, grab the door, pull it open .......

Just thinking about seeing it is making me laugh as I know I would most likely fill my pants right to the top!!!! LOL!!
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM

My shack was on the open door policy out at Gull this year. Met lot's of nice guy's in the process. Brought my son out for his first over nighter and spent half the day sweeping up glass and fixing the stove. I can't figure out why people have the urge to do stuff like that. Thinking I might haul it up to slave next year, Gull seem's to be prone to vandalism. too bad a few Ba**trds have to ruin it.... Any one know how the ice is holding on the North end of Gull? I can't make it out for a week or so to pull it off for the year. I'll be going on at Sunnyside.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:52 PM

what lake you puttin it on Jimmy? I was going to build one as well to put on carolside. never had a problem at Blood Indian with vandals always unlocked
Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

"Versatile" - Some peoples kids? 1st degree murder? Its your shack, if it is locked with a sign saying private property keep out, and some ******* tries to break the lock and get in...he deserves a butchers knife going through his head. I know several people that do this. Its not a crime if they intrude on your own stuff. You can do what you want with your own property. You arent stabbing the guy for coming in, you've rigged a contraption that protects your property. My guess is your one of the guys that use other peoples shacks whether their locked or not, and are disappointed to see your hopes crushed. Sorry man.

For the guys that say leaving it unlocked is the way to go. Ya right, it will be trashed in a matter of days.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm not sure yet. I've found the one I want. It just hard to get it off the lake with everyone watching

I have found one i want to build, but I'm having trouble convincing myself to leave it somewhere after all the work and expense just to have some morns trash it. I wouldn't have a problem leaving it open for someone to use while I'm gone, but it seems that we are into the shallow end of the gene pool, sometimes.

BTW who the heck are you DT?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
"Versatile" - Some peoples kids? 1st degree murder? Its your shack, if it is locked with a sign saying private property keep out, and some ******* tries to break the lock and get in...he deserves a butchers knife going through his head. I know several people that do this. Its not a crime if they intrude on your own stuff. You can do what you want with your own property. You arent stabbing the guy for coming in, you've rigged a contraption that protects your property.
You will definitely go to jail for a long time if someone even gets hurt from doing that.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
"Versatile" - Some peoples kids? 1st degree murder? Its your shack, if it is locked with a sign saying private property keep out, and some ******* tries to break the lock and get in...he deserves a butchers knife going through his head. I know several people that do this. Its not a crime if they intrude on your own stuff. You can do what you want with your own property. You arent stabbing the guy for coming in, you've rigged a contraption that protects your property. My guess is your one of the guys that use other peoples shacks whether their locked or not, and are disappointed to see your hopes crushed. Sorry man.

For the guys that say leaving it unlocked is the way to go. Ya right, it will be trashed in a matter of days.
HAHA. setting a trap would definetly be ILLEGAL. thats like digging a pit in front of your stand and filling the bottom with sharpened sticks, to skewer anyone trying to use it. first of all if it is on a lake it is PUBLIC property. it is illegal to set traps on your own land for petes sake. would you lace your front lawn with landmines?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Landmines,,,,, boy, there are some pretty good ideas coming out of this. I need to recession-proof my acreage soon. Keep em coming boys!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-14-2009, 06:27 PM

Default Shack

That is why ours is portable and we put it on and off our small flatdeck trailer. The extra 15-20 minutes for setup and down is well worth it. See the pic.

[/IMG]
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM

This reminds me of the "leaving a treestand on crown land" thread. Lots on this board would probably think it is their right to use your shack if you leave it out, some would even take it and not think twice about it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...and+crown+land
Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Hmm...talked to a RCMP officer a while back asking him about setting something in your house so if a thief breaks in it's game over....he said its fine. Treestands are completely different. So because its on public land makes it ok for guys to enter it? Great! I can jump on the roof of your pickup or sleep in the box of it if its parked on the street? Its on public property why not!? I dont care if its illegal or not thats what I would do, and any smart judge would not lay it on you if the guy clearly broke into your property, disregarding the very clear signage.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:

I hope your buddies dont get caught. Going to court all the lawyer would have to say is you rigged up the contraption to do exactly that kill some one. At best you would get off with man slaughter.

You cant just kill some one for breaking into your fishing hut, you cant even kill some one for breaking into your house. If you could there wouldnt be much B&E because people would know they would be dealing with the business end of a rifle or shotgun when they got through the door.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 PM

I don't know what you are smoking, but no RCMP would condone anything that would hurt someone. You are not allowed to use excessive force if they break into your house, let alone your fishing shack. The best policy is a open door and hope for the best.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Hmm...talked to a RCMP officer a while back asking him about setting something in your house so if a thief breaks in it's game over....he said its fine. Treestands are completely different. So because its on public land makes it ok for guys to enter it? Great! I can jump on the roof of your pickup or sleep in the box of it if its parked on the street? Its on public property why not!? I dont care if its illegal or not thats what I would do, and any smart judge would not lay it on you if the guy clearly broke into your property, disregarding the very clear signage.
Dude lol, how old are you again ??? it is not illegal to set up a trap to kill a human being ??? are you crazy ? , you and your RCMP wanna be - kid kindergarden friend gotta stop watching adult action movies and go to bed early watching Diego or Dora instead of RAMBO ,

I can understand your frustration but the best choice and most legal would be what BBJ suggested, a fricken loud alarm system, I bet the money that it would work like a charm.

Cheers
Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Nothing excessive about delivering a crippling or even a killing blow. Especially when your about to be on the recieving end of what ever the intruder thinks they are allowed to do to your unsuspecting azz or your belongings. Its a mans OBLIGATION to his family to absolutely protect them, and its also a mans job to protect his worldly possesions. Some men work their entire lives to have almost nothing. All men should be judged as they were years ago,,,, if you DONT TAKE CARE of your own, you are no man...... Now how does Brown Bear say that again,,, Better to be judged by six, than carried by eight.

Edit, and no im not saying that setting traps for criminalsis a good idea! As much as it sounds like a good idea, its not socially acceptable.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 03-14-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Banned

Say what you all want. If a guy invades my personal property (home) and seems like a danger in any way he will be facing the end of a 12 guage. And if a guy invades my personal property anywhere else because my house, there will be consequences. Of course he would have to be stupid enough to ignore the warnings for that to happen. I will fight it in court if it comes to that. Whats the guy going to say? Oh well, I smashed the lock on somebodys shack with signs written all over it "private property do not tamper" and proceeded to go in it to get drunk in the middle of the night and smash the empty's all over, as I took a step in a knife fell somehow and it stabbed into my shoulder. The judge would laugh. I guess its the old arguement of a theif smashes your window to break into your house and steal your belongings, while entering the broken window he slit his wrist and almost bled to death. Technically the house owner is the one at fault, but do you really think its going to fly in court??? Tight lines.

And I'll add....the knife was a dramatic example, altho I do know people who do this I would rather use a shovel...something that would not kill or injure too bad but would get the point across.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 AM

Had a shack on Eagle lake a few years back. Showed up to pick it up one weekend and someone had burnt it down.

Now I rock an Icecube

Last edited by Nerdapres'; 03-15-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 AM

I have a key to my buddies shack, have been using it for about 7yrs now and we have never had a problem. One thing is out of sight and out of mind. They have a solid shutter for the windows where they cover the whole outside of the window and bolts run through the wall and fasten from inside the shack. They also have a good solid metal door from a meat cooler.

As far as break-ins it is no different than your house, vehicle, garage, etc being broke into. It is just something that unfortunately happens.

But i would have to ask the people that do boobie trap. "If say someone had a mishap and were stranded or broke through the ice and needed to break into your shack for survival" I don't think i could boobie trap for that reason alone

One last note is to Nerdapres' if your avatar pic is of you than you are "SMOKIN" haha
Old 03-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
I have a key to my buddies shack, have been using it for about 7yrs now and we have never had a problem. One thing is out of sight and out of mind. They have a solid shutter for the windows where they cover the whole outside of the window and bolts run through the wall and fasten from inside the shack. They also have a good solid metal door from a meat cooler.

As far as break-ins it is no different than your house, vehicle, garage, etc being broke into. It is just something that unfortunately happens.

But i would have to ask the people that do boobie trap. "If say someone had a mishap and were stranded or broke through the ice and needed to break into your shack for survival" I don't think i could boobie trap for that reason alone

One last note is to Nerdapres' if your avatar pic is of you than you are "SMOKIN" haha

Some good points made!
Got kind of creepy at the end though.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:03 AM

Default Father in laws stolen off of Travers res.

Father in laws stolen off of Travers res.
He is 75 and ma is 79 so they would leave it out so they could get in and start fishing .

They had it for years now they find it hard to get out what a shame.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
This reminds me of the "leaving a treestand on crown land" thread. Lots on this board would probably think it is their right to use your shack if you leave it out, some would even take it and not think twice about it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...and+crown+land
I wondered if some one else had thought of this.
Hopefully Bud doesn't like ice fishing, as that is on public property, so he would feel that if you left your shack, it's his.