Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM

Default Woman accused of killing her 3 kids starves to death

Should they have force fed her? Are they allowed? What she did was horrible, but was she mentally ill, and should that play into whether they force feed?

Sonia Blanchette, accused of killing her 3 children, starves to death

The Quebec woman charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of her children has died after refusing to eat.

Quebec mom charged with murder of children
Father of three slain Drummondville children speak out
Sonia Blanchette had been at Montreal's Sacré Coeur hospital since Dec. 19 and her weight had dropped to 80 pounds, according to Radio-Canada.

Correctional Service Canada had transferred Blanchette from the Tanguay detention centre in Montreal to the hospital in an effort to get her to eat.

Blanchette was accused of killing:

Laurélie, 5.
Loïc, 4.
Anaïs, 2.

The children were found at her residence in December 2012 in Drummondville, halfway between Montreal and Quebec City.

Deaths defied explanation, father says

A Quebec coroner said the two youngest children drowned, while the oldest child was killed by a combination of strangling and drowning.

Blanchette died at around 1:35 a.m. Friday, the same day she was scheduled to appear in court to set a trial date in the murder case. She had not been expected to appear in person due to her weak state.

René Verret, a spokesman for Quebec's Crown prosecutors, said the case would be closed as a result of her death.

"We were informed of the situation early this morning," Verret said.

Blanchette lost custody of her children early in 2012, and had been awarded visiting rights once every two weeks, to be supervised by the children's maternal grandmother.

Shortly after their deaths, Patrick Désautels, the father of the children, issued a statement saying that what happened "defies explanation."

On Friday, after learning Blanchette had died, Désautels​ said, "I have no pity. It doesn't bother me that she died."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...eath-1.2912343
Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

Maybe she punished herself... Wouldn't be a pleasant way to go.

http://io9.com/5941883/how-your-body...youre-starving
Old 01-16-2015, 12:25 PM

If she killed her 3 kids I'd say its pretty obvious she was mentally ill. I've never bought into the diagnosis as being an excuse for committing any crime though. She should have offed herself first and saved everyone else the anguish of the loss of the kids.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If she killed her 3 kids I'd say its pretty obvious she was mentally ill. I've never bought into the diagnosis as being an excuse for committing any crime though. She should have offed herself first and saved everyone else the anguish of the loss of the kids.
That being said, did someone drop the ball letting a "sick" person kill themselves?
Old 01-16-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
That being said, did someone drop the ball letting a "sick" person kill themselves?
Probably, wouldnt hurt my feelings. The other Alternative;she would be integrated back into society after 5-10 years. Get married and pregnant again.

Any mother would could kill her own children........well im sure theres a special place for her.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Banned

Good on her.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Default Crime and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Maybe she punished herself... Wouldn't be a pleasant way to go.

http://io9.com/5941883/how-your-body...youre-starving
Sounds like a case of the punishment(self inflicted) actually coming close to matching the crime, something our justice system is incapable of delivering in a situation such as this.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Gone Hunting

"Blanchette lost custody of her children early in 2012, and had been awarded visiting rights once every two weeks, to be supervised by the children's maternal grandmother"

So the Grandmother watched the mother kill her kids? Obviously there was no supervision.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-16-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
harsh. I'd say the suicide pretty much confirms the mentally ill version of events.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4570 View Post

Any mother would could kill her own children........well im sure theres a special place for her.
I'm sure she was already living there, hence the suicide.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 PM

In other threads when we discuss similar circumstances, (that invariably have nothing at all to do with any of us) at some point a friend or 'relative' comes in and references all the harsh replies, there is name calling, hurt feelings and miserable people.

Want to turn the page or continue like normal?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
In other threads when we discuss similar circumstances, (that invariably have nothing at all to do with any of us) at some point a friend or 'relative' comes in and references all the harsh replies, there is name calling, hurt feelings and miserable people.

Want to turn the page or continue like normal?
Sure. We can agree to disagree amiably Ken.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:00 PM

Angry

As what the father said "I have no pity. It doesn't bother me that she died."

It bothers me that a sick in the mind person takes someone innocent before taking themselves out. Im sad for them kids i don't give a Dam about her!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Sure. We can agree to disagree amiably Ken.
I admit I had to look that up

a·mi·a·ble (ā′mē-ə-bəl)
adj.
1. Friendly and agreeable in disposition; good-natured and likable.
2. Cordial; sociable; congenial: an amiable gathering.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Anyone who wishes to should be allowed to kill themselves, its their life after all. Anyone who killed three children should be allowed to as well as furnished their choice of means.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm sure she was already living there, hence the suicide.
Anyone who harms their young children or as in this case murders them, are likely to be mentally ill themselves. I wonder if the system would have allowed her to die if she had not hurt her children? That she had just been a mentally ill mum instead of a mentally ill murderer?

Terribly sad all round. The kids, the mother, the rest of the family and friends. Probably the most prevailing memory for anyone close to it.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I've never bought into the diagnosis as being an excuse for committing any crime though.
Genuine mental illness isn't an excuse, it's a reason. As far as someone using it as an excuse, that is another matter and I totally agree with you.

We have a long way to go in understanding the human brain. Some are just broken .
Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
No one dropped the ball and the tax payers thank them.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Genuine mental illness isn't an excuse, it's a reason. As far as someone using it as an excuse, that is another matter and I totally agree with you.

We have a long way to go in understanding the human brain. Some are just broken .
X2

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-17-2015, 05:38 AM
Gone Fishing

I agree with those that can't help feeling a small compasion towards this women. Mental illness is the only explanation as the maternal instinct obviously just wasn't in this lady. As mentioned, had she been depressed, she would have taken her own life or perhaps found another way to deal with her situation. To drown her 3 kids is beyond my understanding. I wish our health care system could find the funding to catch these people and help when able, although sometimes it just can't be solved. Sad outcome for all involved.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 AM

Default I feel bad for Dad he is all alone without his kids that must be hell for him!

Quote:
Trust me you cannot force someone to eat, for me anorexics have been some of the hardest clients I have ever worked with in fact I would have to ethically refuse to ever work with one again because I find it impossible to reconcile this self destructive behavior it is so irrational, they are not rational at all regarding their state of health.
Sounds to me like she decided she could not live with this anymore and this was her only option for a way out!
Prayers and love to that poor Dad, all alone without his three precious children, it must be hell for him! Was that her intent?

Last edited by fretman57; 01-17-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Anyone who harms their young children or as in this case murders them, are likely to be mentally ill themselves. I wonder if the system would have allowed her to die if she had not hurt her children? That she had just been a mentally ill mum instead of a mentally ill murderer?

Terribly sad all round. The kids, the mother, the rest of the family and friends. Probably the most prevailing memory for anyone close to it.
What about the father first and foremost?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"Blanchette lost custody of her children early in 2012, and had been awarded visiting rights once every two weeks, to be supervised by the children's maternal grandmother"

So the Grandmother watched the mother kill her kids? Obviously there was no supervision.
I am wondering when the charges against the grandmother will be filed, or what they will be. As she is just as responsible.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
I am wondering when the charges against the grandmother will be filed, or what they will be. As she is just as responsible.
How exactly is failing to supervise someone a 100% the same as murdering three children?

What would those charges be?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
How exactly is failing to supervise someone a 100% the same as murdering three children?

What would those charges be?
Accessory to murder.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman57 View Post
Trust me you cannot force someone to eat
Don't they just put a tube down their throat to give them nutrition?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Don't they just put a tube down their throat to give them nutrition?
The hospitals ethics committee concluded that forcing her to eat would not be acceptable, good enough for me. There are limits to what the medical profession can do to unwilling citizens, and its entirely proper that such rules exist.