Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 PM

Default Lowrance HDS-9 Gen2

Just wondering if anyone has bought this unit (or any of the HDS's) and had a chance to try it out yet. I haven't been able to find any reviews other than at Boat Shows where people tried it out in a booth, but nothing about water useage. I understand the functions of the unit however am more interested if it works on the water. One of my main concerns is the depth reading. Presently I have 2 Lowrances on my boat and they have a hard time reading water depth when moving. I have played with the angle of the tranducers and even swapped units/transducers without any success. They seem to read good, then all of a sudden start to freak out and flash eratic readings (when travelling). I realize my boat is *****-end heavy as it's an 1800 Lund Fisherman with a 4.3L Inboard as well as a 9.9 Merc 4 Stroke hanging off the back. Am looking to upgrade and don't mind spending a bit of money as I've been a believer of "you get what you pay for" for quite some time, howver get a little upset after spending big money on something that doesn't work. Thanks in advance for any input guys!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Default Transducers

How old are the machines....that freak out.....likely the transducers are
Done....you could take a picture of them mounted on the boat and post it .
Check the pulse on the transducer , turn on the machine on land you can hear and feel
The pulse.....if its nice and steady ,your good ,erratic and cutting in and out
The trans is done.....Lowrance. Made a bunch of bad products for a number of years....post a pic of the boats bac end.....have they always not worked
When moving
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM

I have a HDS 7 Gen 2 and mine has no problem reading depth etc when moving at full throttle (30 mph).
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 AM

You've got either transducer power interference or mounting issues. Any turbulence / bubbles will cause problems. Do you have issues when you rev the engine when not in gear ? Dad and I have hds 8's and can run close to 60 before losing depth reading.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 AM

The main unit is a 2006 X125 B&W and has had issues since day 1 after travelling for 5 minutes or so at anywheres from 20 - 40 mph. The second unit is an X102C which I bought a couple years later. This unit is mainly hooked up to my Minn Kota Power on the front. I have powered up the main unit this morning and noted the Transducer gives 6 pulses, then a slight pause and then another series of 6 pulses, slight pause and so on. Both Transducers are operating this way.

I have taken some pictures which can be viewed (hopefully) at:

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Mi...nsducer%20Pics
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 AM

Transducer might be placed to far bellow the bottom of the hull. When your up on plain the transducer is meant to skim the water like your boat(hence the nam "skimmer". Not dig in like a ripper tooth on a Cat. Most problems with the transducer not ready while moving is caused by a failed install.

I understand your philosophy of "You get what you pay for" but it also has to be installed properly or your investment wasn't really an investment.

My Lowrance Mark 5x Pro read fine at 40mph, I just upgraded to the Elite 7HDI and it reads perfect aswell at 40mph.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 AM

I have not noted any issues regarding power or interference. None that stand out anyways. As for reving engine when in neutral, it reads ok. As for turbulance, I understand that affects reading but how does one avoid that? I have not seen any Transducers mounted on the side of the boat. If you're doing close to 60 before losing it, shouldn't I be able to do 20 - 45 and be able to read? One other thing I haven't mentioned guys, although I think I might understand as to why it happens is this: After cruising at a fairly good speed, then backing off it reads goofy. I believe this is due to the boat being on plane, then when you back off, it changes the angle of the Transducer greatly. This I can live with, not the fact that I'm cruising in 28 feet of water for 5 minutes, then my unit is flashing 200 or 500 feet.

Thanks Guys!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Transducer placement is very important. If they are mounted correctly(pictures - look not the best(as said), check with installation instructions).
Likely having transducer issues and need replacement.

1- Transducer placement, try raising them, and adjust so just slightly lower in back(tilted down). (Try first)

2- Replace your stern mounted skimmer transducer. (Most likely)

3- Buy HDS
Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
You've got either transducer power interference or mounting issues. Any turbulence / bubbles will cause problems. Do you have issues when you rev the engine when not in gear ? Dad and I have hds 8's and can run close to 60 before losing depth reading.
I had my boat going 63 last night and never lost bottom at all. Just neet to tweek them just right, All HDS units. your exactly right though with bubbles.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM

From the pictures it looks like there is a row of rivets in line with the lowest ducer. Those can create turbulance that will cause trouble at speed. You might try switching locations with the paddle wheel.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM

Default Bad Crystals

It sounds like the transducers are weak.Your placements look good
I would go to a retailer and buy a new transducer and give it a try.
I think you may have bad crystals Lowrance had a bad batch about
four years ago. Hope that helps dude.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Muskeg View Post
Just wondering if anyone has bought this unit (or any of the HDS's) and had a chance to try it out yet. I haven't been able to find any reviews other than at Boat Shows where people tried it out in a booth, but nothing about water useage. Look for reviews on the Simrad units (they are the same as the Lowrance HDS and HDS touch on the inside)
Presently I have 2 Lowrances on my boat and they have a hard time reading water depth when moving. I have played with the angle of the tranducers and even swapped units/transducers without any success. They seem to read good, then all of a sudden start to freak out and flash eratic readings (when travelling). Is this a new problem or have you always had this problem? If you also get those same kind of readings while moving slowly or standing in shallow water, i.e. below 5 ft., then most likely you need to replace the transducer (That is exactly how mine was acting. I replaced the transducer and problem gone)

As Mudslide said you need to keep the transducers away from the rivet line on the bottom of the Lund’s. At speed you can get a stream of cavitation bubbles coming off those rivets, which will affect all sonar systems not just Lowrance.
Good Luck with this I know how frustrating this problem can be.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:05 PM

Been running an HDS8 gen 1 ever since they first hit the market and have solid reradings in all weather and up to 45mph....1 thing to look for is transducer burn out. If a transducer is left to run out of water it will burn itself out and do exactly what you have mentioned. Yep i did it, and a new transducer fixed it right away. Sometimes units get left on when the boat is out of the water and appear fine, then start acting like yours. Ild try new transducer fo 60 odd bucks and see how that works out.