Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 AM

Unhappy Highwood logging to start November 18th.

Well, I guess all the concerns raised by five towns, persistent lobbying by the group "Take a Stand for the Highwood", and thousands of concerned folks signing a petition didn't have any effect. It has been confirmed that logging will start on November 18th, until April 30th, 2018. Thanks, Rachel!!

https://www.facebook.com/stand.highw...type=3&theater

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Yes thanks Rachel, I’ve never said that before and meant it. Families need groceries and housing, municipalities and higher governments need tax revenue.

It’s nice to see a small amount of economic activity in our Province.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Good, my cousins family will be able to afford groceries and heat this winter.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Trees grow back. Trees create jobs. Jobs feed and house citizens. Eleven words that pretty much decimate the complaint.

NIMBYism at its finest. Somewhat ironic coming from someone who just recently had a housing worry of their own. Shame on the OP for trying to contribute to someone else’s housing crisis by campaigning to unemploy them.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:53 AM

I agree with the logging but wish they would strip log it like they did in Star Creek in the Crowsnest Pass. They can take out a plot and leave a plot. After a few years they can go back and take the other strips. Also when planting trees leave some unplanted areas for grass areas so animals have good feed.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 AM

Logging good, spraying bad!

Nothing against taking out trees that are sure to be wiped out by beetles and fire anyway, but they should never be allowed to spray carcinogenic herbicides to encourage certain tree species and wipe out others, especially the ones that animals feed on.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

Nothing against taking out trees that are sure to be wiped out by beetles and fire anyway, but they should never be allowed to spray carcinogenic herbicides to encourage certain tree species and wipe out others, especially the ones that animals feed on.
x2
Old 11-10-2017, 09:09 AM

I agree with strip logging, and I agree they should not be allowed to spray. I actually can’t believe that spraying is allowed. Poison to kill certain and Brush so that a particular species of tree can thrive ? Also affecting berries that could grow there and lack of some trees will reduce animal forage.

I agree with some of you guys above. Take the teees but do it right and don’t spray poison

I should add that distance from water sources is always a concern. We need to do better at keeping erosionlevels minimal.

Last edited by Flight01; 11-10-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Trees grow back. Trees create jobs. Jobs feed and house citizens. Eleven words that pretty much decimate the complaint.

NIMBYism at its finest. Somewhat ironic coming from someone who just recently had a housing worry of their own. Shame on the OP for trying to contribute to someone else’s housing crisis by campaigning to unemploy them.
NIMBYism? Did I say I was against logging in the first post? I am against the selection of that area as it is literally at the gateway to one of the most scenic routes in the province, and it is right at the headwaters of the Highwood, which will present problems relating to erosion as has been repeatedly stated in numerous articles. Did you read the letters written by the councils of High River, Okotoks, Black Diamond, Turner Valley and Longview to understand their concerns? Over 50 area businesses have also expressed concern, including Udo at Flys' Etc. in High River. I bet the trapper whose line is smack in the middle of the area to be logged is happy about it, too!
To whose housing crisis are you referring? Lots of houses for sale and rent as far as I can see, and how my own previous "housing worry" is connected to this is a mystery.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Sure wish they'd log around the town of Canmore. It's not a matter of if it burns but when. Seems to me the $45,000,000 the Clown of Tanmore is going to spend on flood mitigation could be better spent on fire mitigation especially after all the fires this past summer and fall.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Sure wish they'd log around the town of Canmore. It's not a matter of if it burns but when. Seems to me the $45,000,000 the Clown of Tanmore is going to spend on flood mitigation could be better spent on fire mitigation especially after all the fires this past summer and fall.
Bragg Creek had been talking about logging a fire break around the town, but not sure if they ever got anywhere on that. Found this article on the whole fire break thing...

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ded-by-forests

Last edited by molly; 11-10-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Nothing wrong with logging. It replaces what forest fires used to do. Get over over it. In 20 years it will be a lush forest again.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Hopefully the planning is a little better than the logging that was done on Hidden Creek that effectively ruined bull trout spawning habitat. I'm all for logging, until they strip the trees right to the river bank.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 PM

I’m very happy to see that they will be logging this particular area!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-10-2017, 07:19 PM

With all the trees available in our province I can't understand the reasoning for logging out areas such as Highwood. After all there are no motorized vehicles allowed there but it's ok to clear cut slopes that are 40% or more. If it were not for them trees High River would have been totally wiped out the last flood.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 PM

They have also started logging by Willow creek, just North of Indian graves campground. This is the South end of 404. Where does a guy find out what is scheduled to be cut?
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
They have also started logging by Willow creek, just North of Indian graves campground. This is the South end of 404. Where does a guy find out what is scheduled to be cut?
I think Spray Lakes is logging that, as well as the Sullivan Creek area south of the Sheep River. I believe there are harvest plans you can access on their website.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
With all the trees available in our province I can't understand the reasoning for logging out areas such as Highwood. After all there are no motorized vehicles allowed there but it's ok to clear cut slopes that are 40% or more. If it were not for them trees High River would have been totally wiped out the last flood.
With all the trees available in BC, I can't understand why they have to cut down any of ours! These logs are being hauled to a Canfor mill in BC...

Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM

Not crazy about it, but I'm going to look on the bright side... some cut-blocks to hunt the next few years....
Old 11-14-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

X3
Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM

BC logging practices are a little more stringent than Alberta so it will be better for the area. If your worried about spraying why aren't you complaining about farmers, golf courses, neighbors or yourself for that matter.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
BC logging practices are a little more stringent than Alberta so it will be better for the area. If your worried about spraying why aren't you complaining about farmers, golf courses, neighbors or yourself for that matter.
If you're worried about poaching, why aren't you complaining about cars hitting deer, neighbors or yourself for that matter?

Oh right.. just because the system isn't flawless doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make strides in a positive direction.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
If you're worried about poaching, why aren't you complaining about cars hitting deer, neighbors or yourself for that matter?

Oh right.. just because the system isn't flawless doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make strides in a positive direction.
LOL , Whatever.