Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 AM

Default Nsr

Okay time to tap into your wisdom. I live in west edmonton and have been trying a few different spots with varying luck. Today I went out to a spot I've just learned of along the fort edmonton park where theyre building the new pedestrian bridge across the river. the river is insanely dirty right now but I still managed to hook a few fish but was unsucessful at landing them. I was using an Aglia red and white spinner with a 3 way swivel and a weight for extra casting distance. I noticed when I was reeling in close to shore I would have fish trying to take my weight and not my spinner. Seemed odd to me that they wanted my 45 cent weight instead of my 5 dollar lure, but hey who am I to judge. I have been reading a lot about people catching very nice wall eye and pike in the NSR and I really want to know what you are using for bait, and where you are going! I had been using a pickerel rig for a while but im getting tired of losing bait and only catching mooneye. I want to learn more ways to catch different fish from the shore line. please help?!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Okay time to tap into your wisdom. I live in west edmonton and have been trying a few different spots with varying luck. Today I went out to a spot I've just learned of along the fort edmonton park where theyre building the new pedestrian bridge across the river. the river is insanely dirty right now but I still managed to hook a few fish but was unsucessful at landing them. I was using an Aglia red and white spinner with a 3 way swivel and a weight for extra casting distance. I noticed when I was reeling in close to shore I would have fish trying to take my weight and not my spinner. Seemed odd to me that they wanted my 45 cent weight instead of my 5 dollar lure, but hey who am I to judge. I have been reading a lot about people catching very nice wall eye and pike in the NSR and I really want to know what you are using for bait, and where you are going! I had been using a pickerel rig for a while but im getting tired of losing bait and only catching mooneye. I want to learn more ways to catch different fish from the shore line. please help?!
The majority of the fish I've caught out of the river this year have been on hardware...not bait. Spoons, spinners, and spinnerbaits all work well for pike and walleye in the river, as well as goldeye. I've never tried using a 3 way swivel and a weight to help cast my spinners, but I also use reasonably heavy ones, so that might have something to do with it?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-16-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
The majority of the fish I've caught out of the river this year have been on hardware...not bait. Spoons, spinners, and spinnerbaits all work well for pike and walleye in the river, as well as goldeye. I've never tried using a 3 way swivel and a weight to help cast my spinners, but I also use reasonably heavy ones, so that might have something to do with it?
Hey Geez, what size spoons u use? and how deep u usually fish them? The pike are near impossible to find here on the SSR. When I have caught them, it's been by pure chance usually using bait targeting other species. Thinking it's time to toss some spoons out there and see what happens. Must find pike!
Cheers!