Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 PM

Question Sales Results

did anyone watch the NAFA sale feb 16-18
Old 02-19-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
did anyone watch the NAFA sale feb 16-18
This sale is on right now and continues until the 23rd. They are selling ranch mink today and according to the catalogue coyotes start on the 22nd.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 AM

thank for the info
Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM

has anybody heard what the results from the latest NAFA auction were.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:54 PM

Angry Results

Sale basically sucked. Fisher, Marten, Muskrat and Otters sold 100% Coyotes sold 60% and the beavers tanked "due to lack of beaver dressing capacity in the world"
I had 9 beaver and 1 rat in this sale and only sold 3. 1 XL damaged beaver sold for 13.80 and 1 Large damaged beaver sold for $7.53 and i got $1 for the rat. The select and I beavers did not sell. This winters fur of coyote, lynx, marten, weasel and fisher are in the May sale but I don't see things getting much better.

U.S. dollars Averages exchange will be $1.255

Muskrats $2.55
Fisher $42
Marten XL $66
LGE $40
MED $27
Beaver mostly held back
Otter $31
Coyote Western Heavy $30.70
Lynx $128
Mink $12
Fox selective demand
Squirrel $1.43
Weasel $4.02
Wolf $84
Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 AM

Default coyotes

Friend of mine had 58 coyotes at the sale.
Only 5 sold for $13.oo each
Far from $30. each
Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 AM

Remember these are only averages. I believe the top coyote was over $100. Of course this would be the best of the best. Throw a few of those in and everything looks good. I'll be happy to just sell my beaver and coyote next sale.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
redgreen

Default sale prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
Remember these are only averages. I believe the top coyote was over $100. Of course this would be the best of the best. Throw a few of those in and everything looks good. I'll be happy to just sell my beaver and coyote next sale.
Looks like we'll be slicing our bologna pretty thin this year!!! Unfortunately I don't think it will be much better next year either with the economy the way it is. But it is still a great lifestyle and outdoor pursuit...getting to be close to farming!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:22 PM

Default like farming

except with even smaller government kick outs.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Default Bitchin', complainin', whinin' and cryin'

With the posts that are present so far, on this subject , I am pleased with the practical replies so far. It appears that these trappers are living in the real world and not in the one where the world still owes them a living, as is the case with the whiners and criers that are posting on the CNTA forum. They are all ****ed at NAFA for not getting them the monies they needed to survive and can't understand how their furs can be sold for such prices. I, like the next guy, want the best prices too, but have seen low fur prices, even when the economy was good. And in the back of my mind, I also knew that an auction sale is just that - - an auction sale- - , anything goes.. There are also those on that other site, who feel that FHA, would have gotten them the money they deserve ..Yah right , since when ??
I haven't replied to that site and am almost afraid to do so for what I might say. One would think for certain that NAFA had threatened their families if they didn't put their fur in the sale. My fur is in the freezer, maybe not the best thing to do , as the next sale will prob. not be any better, BUT that was my choice, and I'll live with it---
Keep your chins up fellas, cuz the spring runoff hasn't started yet and the water will be getting deeper before it goes down
Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM

Default whats an "average" price

As an example...
if 58 coyotes are on offer.
5 sell for $ 13.oo each
Wouldn't the average price be $13.?

or

if 1500 (10%), are sold ...out of 15,000

In either example...obviosuly only the BEST furs were sold...and less quality were not sold.

"average" prices or "high" prices are then publicized based only on what sold.
PREDATOR magazine or FUR FISH & GAME magazine...they never indicate how many were NOT sold.
This is information very decieving to a reader not involved in the industry and will be under the impression that the average price was $30.

Last edited by AlbertaAl; 02-27-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Default sale

guy i can't complain i ave $37.00 on mine sure they pulled some back but over all it was better than last year for me
Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Default Prices

This year my goal was to break even. I am still on track to achieve that goal but some extra gas money would be nice. I caught every animal on my line except fox and wolverine. Another goal obtained! I thought of holding fur over in the freezer but decided to ship. It's an auction and I realize that is the chance I take.
I'll trap no matter the fur prices until I'm in a wheelchair. I'll manage my line the best I can but in a market like this I may give some critters a bit of a rest next season. I can probably make more money picking bottles but that's not the point. It's a lifestyle that is quickly fading and I hope I don't see an end to it.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 AM

Default Interesting

Glad to read what you really think.
Cheers Jim
Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 AM

I hope the lynx hold in there, i managed to catch 12 this season, BEST I EVER DID!