Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Is Whitemud Creek still good to fish in the winter?

I am planning to go fishing for the second time again, and I just simply want to do some shore fishing, and I am not sure if they fish aren't around at goldbar, and Whitemud Creek. Are these two locations still have fish around in the winter time? Or should I go to a different location? I know for sure that Whitemud Creek has a lot of pike, but I am not sure if it's the right time of season to go fishing.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 AM

I'm sorry but it's all iced over. Not sure the thickness of the ice but I wouldn't reccomend walking on whitemud creek until Jan. It's a nice natural path to walk in the winter but be aware of thin spots. I don't think fish hold in whitemud creek but I'm not sure about the part closest to the mouth.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I'm sorry but it's all iced over. Not sure the thickness of the ice but I wouldn't reccomend walking on whitemud creek until Jan. It's a nice natural path to walk in the winter but be aware of thin spots. I don't think fish hold in whitemud creek but I'm not sure about the part closest to the mouth.
Thanks for the heads up man, actually when I went to Whitemud Creek to the first time I almost fell in the Creek.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmite View Post
I am planning to go fishing for the second time again, and I just simply want to do some shore fishing, and I am not sure if they fish aren't around at goldbar, and Whitemud Creek. Are these two locations still have fish around in the winter time? Or should I go to a different location? I know for sure that Whitemud Creek has a lot of pike, but I am not sure if it's the right time of season to go fishing.
You are obviously not from Edmonton, water freezes here, there is no fishing in the river in winter time. If you walk on the river in winter and hit a soft spot and fall in you are dead! Understood!. So stay off and dream of spring or go fishing on a lake in a bit when it's safe.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:17 PM

You can open water cast in the river all winter long at Goldbar park, southside of the river. There is the city water discharge there. I've caught rockies there all winter long...but not many. The stink of chlorine is in the air. Limited area to cast. fairly shallow.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-10-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan View Post
You are obviously not from Edmonton, water freezes here, there is no fishing in the river in winter time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
You can open water cast in the river all winter long at Goldbar park, southside of the river. There is the city water discharge there. I've caught rockies there all winter long...but not many. The stink of chlorine is in the air. Limited area to cast. fairly shallow.
Boom, toasted mate