Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods
Default Crossing the Fence.

I went down last night to WSS and had Dennis set me up with my first bow. I wanted something entry level-ish so I got set up on a PSE Stinger package. I will pick it up tonight when the wifey goes in to pick hers up. I woulda got a nicer bow but it get's pricey when you have to buy two packages. I have already decided where in my shop I will set up my target and am looking forward to learning something new.
Last night was the first time in about 15 years I've drawn a bow and managed to put my first 3 arrows in a 6" target at wss "lane". Ya I know it's spitting distance but it got me a little excited.
RH
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Congrats ongetting back into it, that's exciting. It can get spendy really quick with just on bow, cant imagine 2, but its really cool your wife is going to do it as well! Not a big fan of Wholesales archery department/service in the archery dept. but I know guys who have had good there so hopefully you do to. You should definatly make your way to the archery center for some target practice and some rounds of 3d once you are sighted in. Its areat place to shoot inside, but hopefully the weather down here is smartening up and we can do more outside shooting. I swear the gopher's I see running around are laughing at me as I drive by, its time to teach a few of them a lesson!!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Well the bow I was set up (Stinger)with was not the right one for me. Unfortunatly Draw length was not suitable for me. However I was able to return the stinger to wss and went down to the Calgary Achery Center. Brian Down there set me up with the X-force Vendetta. He then took did the set up on my bow for me from Dloop to sights and so on. Then he took me down to the range and taught me my stance, hold point and stuck around giving me tips until my three arrows where 1" apart within 4" of the bullseye.(20 yards) I was very happy with the service down there and will go there again lot's.
So last week I set up my own range down at my shop/office and let about 300 shots go. Wow-I'm sore lol. So yesterday it was just to nice to be in front of the desk so I picked up some of the Claw looking arrow heads and headed out to some land I have permission on.
I was ecstatic when at 25-30yards I split a gopher in half- not with my first shot but my first bow kill ever. woop woop. I went on in the next two or so hours to get a total of 6 gophers at between 15 and 40yrds. I am not sure why but I feel more comfortable shooting at 35-40 yrds the at 15-20.
I know I drempt last night about putting an arrow through a whitetail so I am pumped for the season. Like a trout on the bow, I'm definately HOOKED