Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Default Grizzly @ Elbow lake

I backpacked in there this week. I was down at the lake getting water for the dishes and not 100 yards away is this grizzly on the main trail. He starts ambling north towards the Tombstone part of the valley and I am so intent watching the grizzz, that I dont see another flyfisherman farther down the trail. When I do, the bear is about 150 yards from him and I started yelling to get his attention. Now others are joining me yelling and he hears us. I start banging my two pots together and I think the fisherman now spots the bear. The guy puts his pole and gear down, walks sowly out of sight around the bend, and then I see him just running through the trees. The bear took a dip in the last bit of lake and then continued into the first meadow and started digging roots. All turned out well, and I never did get to hear the story from the perspective of the fisherman. I bet the bear was within 50yards when he started making his escape. My wife got a quick picture with our digital from where we stood. Bear is at the bottom of the scree on the trail and fisherman is in the scree near the waters edge by the tall tree.... back turned just before starting to put his equipment down. Sorry for the small image, but I could not get a bigger picture to attach.

Oh yah... fishin was slow, but fun as always up there. Caught a few brooks on green bodied Elk Hair Caddis #14 or #16 seemd to do well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elbow Grizz resized.jpg (125.2 KB, 580 views)

Last edited by gulogulo; 06-30-2008 at 03:54 AM.