Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Default hypertension med recall

Had a call from Costco about my high blood psi meds. Health Canada has issued a recall on Valsartan from China may contain NDMA which is a known carcinogen
The meds made in Canada are ok and not recalled. Wow way to save a dollar,the hell with your customers.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 AM

Isnt that something eh! Sure wished we didnt get medications from China. Scares heck outa me.
Got mine exchanged quickly no expense to me.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 AM

It’s a crap shoot if you choose to use pharmaceuticals for ailments.
Low carb or ketogenic diet will reduce your blood pressure.
9 times out of 10 ailments are self inflicted by what you choose to ingest. Hope things work out for you!
Old 07-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Oh, gees thanks DOC I will get right on that.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Me too.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Banned

Why do you guys "diss" on some a legitimate advice from a member? Just saying
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 AM

If anyone is looking for Valsartan that is not on the recall list, London Drugs has it. Mine was on the list and my Walmart pharmacy said that it may be 6 months before they receive some that is ok to consume. So I called around, and London Drugs has a brand not made in that factory in China.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Doctors are in the stone ages when it comes to nutrition and how it can heal the body of ailments that usually just get meds thrown at them. Food is fuel and not meant for recreation.

Also your doctor has a vested finanical interest in his relationship with his pharmaceutical rep. Keep that in mind when he throws another script at you. Enjoy your day.

Go Big Pharma!!!!!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pharm...ency-1.4169888
Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Doctors are in the stone ages when it comes to nutrition and how it can heal the body of ailments that usually just get meds thrown at them. Food is fuel and not meant for recreation.

Also your doctor has a vested finanical interest in his relationship with his pharmaceutical rep. Keep that in mind when he throws another script at you. Enjoy your day.

Go Big Pharma!!!!!
Couldn't agree more, you are what you eat.

My doctor can't believe i refused her medications years ago and now she can't believe that she thought i would ever need them.

All i did was fix my diet, no need for magic pills!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Couldn't agree more, you are what you eat.

My doctor can't believe i refused her medications years ago and now she can't believe that she thought i would ever need them.

All i did was fix my diet, no need for magic pills!
Congrats!! More people need to realize this.

Newsflash folks, your doctor gets money for writing scripts and pushing prescriptions. Proper nutrition isn’t there fortay. Pushing meds is..
Old 07-16-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Newsflash folks, your doctor gets money for writing scripts and pushing prescriptions. Proper nutrition isn’t there fortay. Pushing meds is..
Works for me. Better health through science.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Trouble is not that they don't know...
Just that it's easier to eat a papa burger than to cook a potroast or bbq a fish.
Not to mention that most people think that "healthy" is the other name for "bland".

So, they prefer to satisfy their appetite and swallow the pills.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
Works for me. Better health through science.
All depends on what you mean by works and what kind of functionality you want and or expect out of your body...
Old 07-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Trouble is not that they don't know...
Just that it's easier to eat a papa burger than to cook a potroast or bbq a fish.
Not to mention that most people think that "healthy" is the other name for "bland".

So, they prefer to satisfy their appetite and swallow the pills.
Absolutely!!
Old 07-16-2018, 09:34 PM

Ya know i sure hope it dont happen to any of you on here that are spouting off. You know what its easy when your young and still got your health to run off at others who you dont think live like you do without even knowing the circumstances. Many of you jumping to conclusions. Sure what you say applies to some but me and the OP dont really need lectures from yall. So to the guy who said why Did i yip at 1899 thats why. Now if he had left it there all woulda been good.

Until i was 71 years old (last year) i never took any pills period ever it was kinda my thing not to.. I ran and i cycled daily. I was as the Doc said fitter than many half my age and had recently passed a major exam with flying colors with no high blood pressure and no cholesterol. I ate properly and had quit smoking many years ago. I would pass young guys in the river valley walking up hills i riding up.

Heart attacks run in my family so i inherited it i guess, though i thought all that good living and running etc. would get me by. Managed to put it off way later than family the members who died in there 50-60'S I had a massive heart attack. So much damage was done i cant exercise not enough blood flow cant afford to raise my blood pressure and they need to be sure my heart doesnt spike so i need drugs to keep it where its at. Eating right helps but i cant exercise at this point.

This is more info than id like to say over a forum but you guys just royally ****ed me off.

Last edited by cranky; 07-16-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Ya know i sure hope it dont happen to any of you on here that are spouting off. You know what its easy when your young and still got your health to run off at others who you dont think live like you do without even knowing the circumstances. Many of you jumping to conclusions. Sure what you say applies to some but me and the OP dont really need lectures from yall. So to the guy who said why Did i yip at 1899 thats why. Now if he had left it there all woulda been good.

Until i was 71 years old (last year) i never took any pills period ever iot was kinda my thing not to.. I ran and i cycled daily. I was as the Doc said fitter than many half my age and had recently passed a major exam with flying colors with no high blood pressure and no cholesterol. I ate properly and had quit smoking many years ago. I would pass young guys in the river valley walking up hills i riding up.

Heart attacks run in my family so i inherited it i guess, though i thought all that good living and running etc. would get me by. I had a massive heart attack. So much damage was done i cant exercise not enough blood flow cant afford to raise my blood pressure and they need to be sure my heart doesnt spike so i need drugs to keep it where its at. Eating right helps but i cant exercise at this point.

This is more info than id like to say over a forum but you guys just royally ****ed me off.

I understand where you are coming from. The self infliction of smoking however when you knew heart attacks run in your family is a prime example of what I am taking about however. Self inficliction sir. Sure you quit but the damage was more than likely already there. I’m closer to 50 than 40 now so I’m not that young. I also since the age of 18 have worked damn hard on my health. My
constant meal prep and weight training will attest to this. I’m sorry if I came off brash or curt but I have helped to steer many in the right direction. I’ll get off your lawn now...
Old 07-17-2018, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post

Until i was 71 years old (last year) i never took any pills period ever it was kinda my thing not to.. I ran and i cycled daily. I was as the Doc said fitter than many half my age and had recently passed a major exam with flying colors with no high blood pressure and no cholesterol. I ate properly and had quit smoking many years ago. I would pass young guys in the river valley walking up hills i riding up.

Heart attacks run in my family so i inherited it i guess, though i thought all that good living and running etc. would get me by. Managed to put it off way later than family the members who died in there 50-60'S I had a massive heart attack. So much damage was done i cant exercise not enough blood flow cant afford to raise my blood pressure and they need to be sure my heart doesnt spike so i need drugs to keep it where its at. Eating right helps but i cant exercise at this point.

No offense was meant, health and diet are touchy subjects, what worked for me might not be right for everyone, i was sick off work for almost 2 years when it all went sideways for me, 30 years of poor diet caught up with me and had me in a bad spot, all i could do was start from the ground up, watching the drs use my mother as a human guinea pig for every new drug they could give her my whole life and just watching her get sicker and sicker has made me despise pharmaceuticals...It's a VERY touchy subject for me, today i feel better than i ever have in my life, I'm also younger than some others on here not quite 40 yet, i had an early wake up call i guess you could say, this is more than i want to put out there too, i wish good health to all friend.

This is an interesting video i watched on the heart, if you have some time i think you might find it interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=141s&v=usaR9HFvXaI
Old 07-17-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Go Big Pharma!!!!!
Alberta's Gwen Paltrow groupie leader ?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Alberta's Gwen Paltrow groupie leader ?
If Gwen Paltrow is in to bodybuilding and eating clean, I’m up for the job!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 01:49 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Cranky. I never used to take any medications until I was left without a choice. If your doctor is writing you prescriptions to fill his pockets then you're the fool, get another doc.

Probably best not to get medical advice on an outdoors forum or really any internet forum. See a trained medical professional... like a doctor...

I can guarantee that I probably eat healthier than most people and if it weren't for modern medicine (drugs) I wouldn't be able to do much of anything.
Thanks to about 9 different medications a day I feel better today than I have in decades.
I also immediately ignore anyone offering medical advice as soon as they say or type "big pharma"...

Don't be afraid of science, the Earth isn't flat and the medical community isn't out to kill you.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with Cranky. I never used to take any medications until I was left without a choice. If your doctor is writing you prescriptions to fill his pockets then you're the fool, get another doc.

Probably best not to get medical advice on an outdoors forum or really any internet forum. See a trained medical professional... like a doctor...

I can guarantee that I probably eat healthier than most people and if it weren't for modern medicine (drugs) I wouldn't be able to do much of anything.
Thanks to about 9 different medications a day I feel better today than I have in decades.
I also immediately ignore anyone offering medical advice as soon as they say or type "big pharma"...

Don't be afraid of science, the Earth isn't flat and the medical community isn't out to kill you.
9 meds??? Well hopefully your doctor is aware and has educated you on the long term use of said meds. I am sure your doctor is well versed in body chemistry and "science" Most medications are essentially toxic, poisonous, or specifically designed to interfere with how the body normally functions—there is always the potential for bad things to happen. In 10 years your doctior will never admit to you that it was one of the 9 meds that brought on an ailment from long term use.

And the earth is round. In fact its as round as Alberta's obese Health Minister's gut..... LOL

Last edited by 1899b; 07-18-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 AM

.....so......what was it again that this thread was about....?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:17 AM

Thanks 6MT. I started this thread to advise people that were possibly unaware of the recall . Boy did that go sideways in a hurry.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:45 AM

yup, and some have more advanced knowledge than the medical profession, takes all kinds!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Banned

Gotta agree with Cranky.
I don't smoke...never have.
My total liquor expenditures for the year probably total under $100.
And I eat healthy.
But Iv'e been blessed with inheriting borderline high blood pressure that I deal with simple water pills.
All the OP did was come on warning people there has been a recall...but all the armchair doctors have weighed in with their two bits worth...advice that is worth exactly that.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:18 AM

My apologies to the OP, I meant no offense, but I recently worked with a man (73 years old) who was strong and healthy, but was on some kind of rat poison for high blood pressure condition that he was unaware that he had!

The pills nearly killed him! And when he stopped taking them, he got his health back.

I also recently read a news article about a doctor in the states who is going to jail for prescribing chemotherapy to over 70 of his patients who didn't need it, simple because he was getting $600 from the pharmaceutical companies for each prescription of their products that he wrote.

So my interactions with doctors (until last july) is limited to every 5 years when I have to renew my drivers license.

But I also understand that there are people who do in fact need doctors and medication to continue to function.

Once again, my apologies for the input when it was not called for.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
9 meds??? Well hopefully your doctor is aware and has educated you on the long term use of said meds. I am sure your doctor is well versed in body chemistry and "science" Most medications are essentially toxic, poisonous, or specifically designed to interfere with how the body normally functions—there is always the potential for bad things to happen. In 10 years your doctior will never admit to you that it was one of the 9 meds that brought on an ailment from long term use.

And the earth is round. In fact its as round as Alberta's obese Health Minister's gut..... LOL
OMF 1899 seems to have the whole physical health and genetics worked out !
I was healthy at the age of 40 I thought until genetics and heart issues hit me.
Meds are helpful and yes over time could be harmful if not used properly . Been on meds for 15 years now !
Every Dr .does not know everything about the human structure !
I have known very healthy ,physically active young people drop dead from heart attacks ,Cancer and various illnesses..
I know vegetarians with high cholesterol and high blood pressure .
Healthy eating and being a Gym nut does not ensure a long healthy life Bud!!!!
Easy to say its hogwash until your on the pills yourself .
Had a friend who was the most active and healthy eating person I knew ,always bugged me about the pills and my health until one day last year at work he asked me what a heart attack felt Like .
He just came back from having his Yearly Physical done (Dr said your the best health ever ! keep doing what your doing }.
Turns out his so called healthy lifestyle did **** all to prevent 100 % blockage in a major artery and 80 in another ,. Now he takes meds like clockwork and doesn't seem to jab at me about the meds anymore :}
Old 07-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
My apologies to the OP, I meant no offense, but I recently worked with a man (73 years old) who was strong and healthy, but was on some kind of rat poison for high blood pressure condition that he was unaware that he had!

The pills nearly killed him! And when he stopped taking them, he got his health back.

I also recently read a news article about a doctor in the states who is going to jail for prescribing chemotherapy to over 70 of his patients who didn't need it, simple because he was getting $600 from the pharmaceutical companies for each prescription of their products that he wrote.

So my interactions with doctors (until last july) is limited to every 5 years when I have to renew my drivers license.

But I also understand that there are people who do in fact need doctors and medication to continue to function.

Once again, my apologies for the input when it was not called for.
I love these posts..."I heard about a doctor that prescribed a bunch of needless chemo"...
Same as the "I read about the guy who was killed by his seatbelt"...so do stop wearing your seatbelt.
I've got a number of friends who wouldn't be alive today because of doctors...and everyone of you (whether you know it or not) can say the same.
I think that in the dictionary, under 'whiny complainer' is a link to AO.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Doctors prescribe pills for $$$ not health, meds are evil and will kill you, etc... My gosh.

OP, thank you very much for warning people about a potential shortfall of medication.

This thread has been sidetracked. If anyone would like to start a thread debating the merits of prescription medication, feel free to do so. However, no one should have to wade through 29 posts to find info on a medication recall as the OP was trying to give.

Try to stick to the title topic please. Derailing is in fact an anfraction.

Closed.

Last edited by sns2; 07-18-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Closed Thread