Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Any recommendations for replacement headlights?

I’ve got a 2001 super duty, and the head lights are just junk! They have been since 2001, but I’m doing a lot of night driving now, so something has to change. I’ve read that led’s are the way to go, but is that an option on a truck this old?

Is there any stores that carry good lights in Edmonton? Or is NAPA my best bet?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
I’ve got a 2001 super duty, and the head lights are just junk! They have been since 2001, but I’m doing a lot of night driving now, so something has to change. I’ve read that led’s are the way to go, but is that an option on a truck this old?

Lots of aftermarket options available. Just Google the make and model of your truck and either hid or led or after market headlights and you will be provided with a wealth of information. Whatever you do please get them adjusted properly.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 AM

The headlights I see on the road now are laughable. I can’t believe what I see coming towards me every morning on my 40km commute. I don’t understand how they are legal as even on low beam they are absolutely blinding. If a person needs these xenon style headlights to see maybe rethink things and go see your eye doctor. Shocking how we stayed on the roads without them in the 70’s and 80’s...

Last edited by 1899b; 12-30-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Take it to JB automotive. They will recommend the right lights and they will install them properly. Self installed can cause LOTS of problems, not the least of which is no lights in the middle of no where or a massive wiring fire.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:03 AM

headlight experts.com
Old 12-30-2017, 11:05 AM

Default Headlights

I have found it it not the headlights, but the acrylic lens that is used.
I ordered a set of Euro style lens from LMC Trucks and used the stock bulbs and they worked just fine.
You can also try a polish kit to see if that helps.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Headlights

I’ve used Silverstar replacement bulbs in the past. Much better than stock, but not obnoxiously bright. X 2 on having an alignment done in a shop.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:44 AM

I got some LED headlights on my '12 F150 and they've been great. I opted for LED's because they tend to have a lot less glare than HID in a factory housing. I also researched for about a month on what ones to get so I wouldn't be the douche blinding on coming traffic, or shining my bright lights into the rear of cars. HID's are great if you plan to retrofit projectors, but you need to go with a quality kit or they'll typically fail in less than a year.

The ones I settled on were recommended and tested by a company that sells lighting upgrades out of the US. They have a YouTube channel with a lot of great information, and even compared the actual beam spread to stock halogen lights in the F150 housing.

So far I haven't been flashed once and the beam pattern cuts off evenly at the trunk of cars. My Wife also was in front of me a few weeks ago and said she didn't notice them being obnoxious like some other vehicles with HID's can be. That being said, the high beams are very bright and will definitely **** off on coming traffic!

Oh, and Silver Stars and the like are junk. I've had a few pairs that have all burnt out in a year or less. They sacrifice longevity for slightly more output.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
The headlights I see on the road now are laughable. I can’t believe what I see coming towards me every morning on my 40km commute. I don’t understand how they are legal as even on low beam they are absolutely blinding. If a person needs these xenon style headlights to see maybe rethink things and go see your eye doctor. Shocking how we stayed on the roads without them in the 70’s and 80’s...

They aren't legal. Aftermarket lights usually (always) have poor cutoff, scatter light into oncoming drivers eyes, are to bright to close to the vehicle they're installed on which leads to decreased night vision from dilated pupils. Personally I wish cops would start ticketing and towing the vehicles with those headlight "upgrades" that aren't dot approved as I can't stand the ignorance of guys willing to blind everyone else on the road so they can "see".

OP, look here for some info http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
Old 12-30-2017, 12:10 PM

If you want HID try Brightsource 33605 at 6000k. They are just awesome and have a very distinct cut off. Just make sure you adjust for the extra distance you will get. I have used them on all my trucks, just recently switched to LED which I bought at JR Auto Lloydminster. They also have a very distinct cut off pattern. I have never been flashed with the LED's, just with the HID's while pulling a trailer the odd time. No I do not adjust my lights everytime I attach a trailer, anyone that says they do is fos or just looking for a fight online. I switched my driving lights to LED as well, which helps lots.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-30-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
They aren't legal. Aftermarket lights usually (always) have poor cutoff, scatter light into oncoming drivers eyes, are to bright to close to the vehicle they're installed on which leads to decreased night vision from dilated pupils. Personally I wish cops would start ticketing and towing the vehicles with those headlight "upgrades" that aren't dot approved as I can't stand the ignorance of guys willing to blind everyone else on the road so they can "see".

OP, look here for some info http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
Totally agree. Some of those headlights are absolutely obnoxious, not to mention illegal and very dangerous. I've been blinded by those oncoming "upgraded" vehicles several times.
It's time the Insurance Companies got involved if the Cops won't do it. .. but hey,are they cool or what ?
Old 12-30-2017, 12:33 PM

Some guys on those 99-04 Super Duty's actually retrofit in 05-07 Super Duty which (allegedly) have much better lighting at stock.

Goes from this (stock 99-04 style):

To this (stock 05-07 style headlights put int 99-04 grille/bumper)

Old 12-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Take it to JB automotive. They will recommend the right lights and they will install them properly. Self installed can cause LOTS of problems, not the least of which is no lights in the middle of no where or a massive wiring fire.
ya, and you probably call the plumber to put in your hot water tank too!

i just ordered a set for my '96 dodge, 'cause the old ones had turned yellow and i couldn't see with them. got them from an outfit online called 1a auto.....cost 75.00 american for the pair and napa wanted 300. auto zone quoted me 215 plus tax EACH! took about 15 minutes to install each side, and NO, i didn't call a mechanic so i could have someone with 'papers' do the install.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Some guys on those 99-04 Super Duty's actually retrofit in 05-07 Super Duty which (allegedly) have much better lighting at stock.

Goes from this (stock 99-04 style):

To this (stock 05-07 style headlights put int 99-04 grille/bumper)

Way better design, better reflectors. You have to trim the headlight mount a bit best to talk to someone that has done it, or check YouTube.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-30-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Way better design, better reflectors. You have to trim the headlight mount a bit best to talk to someone that has done it, or check YouTube.
Yeah there are more than a few tutorials out there. I believe you also need a harness adapter, but they're available online for not a huge amount if you're unable to do it yourself.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Keep in mind those factory headlights scatter light everywhere, including up into oncoming traffic. The brighter bulb you put in them, the brighter they will be to oncoming traffic. PLEASE DONT BE THAT GUY!

I HIGHLY recommend putting in projectors, they have a razor sharp cutoff line that only points the light down, not up. From there you can add LED's or HID bulbs to them. Personally I would stick with tried & tested HID. LED is still in its infancy and there are still kinks to be worked out, mostly on light pattern but if your using projectors it won't matter

Here is just one example of projectors

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2004-F...FWQkaj&vxp=mtr
Old 12-30-2017, 02:23 PM

I ended up at jb’s automotive, picked up a middle of the road set of LED’s. $250, but guaranteed to last 5 years, so not too bad really. Thanks folks!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Take it to JB automotive.
After years of boycotting them because of their outrageous prices I thought I would give them a shot to replace my 5 interior lights to LED. I almost sharded myself when he told me it would cost $75! For 5 tiny interior bulbs

Went home and got them online for under $10 including delivery

I get the whole brick & mortar overhead thing but that's just ridiculous.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I ended up at jb’s automotive, picked up a middle of the road set of LED’s. $250, but guaranteed to last 5 years, so not too bad really. Thanks folks!
$15 online for a pair of almost any bulb.

JB's strikes again

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-9005-LE...NaHlGD&vxp=mtr
Old 12-30-2017, 05:41 PM

I can vouch for Silverstar ZXE bulbs, I have them in my cars high beams and they are very good. Recently put Phillips UltraVisions in the low beams and they are a close match for color etc, while costing a half of what the ZXE bulbs do.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:43 PM

If you go with just a replacement bulb, the headlight restoration kits available at CT or auto parts retailers will help make the most of them.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:25 PM

I just installed a pair of RCP LED bulbs, about $50 shipped from Amazon. Great improvement, did the restore kit on the lens, still think I might get new housings, they're just not as sharp as they shoould be.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
After years of boycotting them because of their outrageous prices I thought I would give them a shot to replace my 5 interior lights to LED. I almost sharded myself when he told me it would cost $75! For 5 tiny interior bulbs

Went home and got them online for under $10 including delivery

I get the whole brick & mortar overhead thing but that's just ridiculous.
Like so many things, there is a HUGE difference in quality when buying LED bulbs. It did not take me much research on the Web to find out that OPT7 and Kensun are WAY higher rated than any of the real cheap Ebay options. They last better, have proper light placement, are more waterproof which is important on a 4x4, along with the right stuff so they don't flicker and blink.The OPT7s are $90 U.S. plus $30 shipping, or $180 Canadian, even on Ebay. The cheapest Chinese or Indian crap you can find on Ebay isn't always the best choice.

http://mycarneedsthis.com/todays-bes...hts-and-bulbs/

https://10carbest.com/led-headlights-bulbs

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...7%2520Lighting

Last edited by Dean2; 12-31-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:30 PM

Default Headlights

Quote:

RockAuto great pricing and service.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:31 AM

I installed led's in my F150 and love them. Ordered from Amazon Prime. Got them in 4 days with free shipping. Get the highest output with the whitest light and you will be happy. Probably 1/2 the price as getting some locally.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I installed led's in my F150 and love them. Ordered from Amazon Prime. Got them in 4 days with free shipping. Get the highest output with the whitest light and you will be happy. Probably 1/2 the price as getting some locally.
There's only so many manufacturer's of LED bulbs. Most of them you can find under several different brands and vendors, offering them at different prices. The ones I mentioned in my above post were reviewed by Headlight Revolution, but at $180 US a pair + shipping, I put my google-fu to work and found the exact same pair on Amazon.ca for $80 shipped.

One of the most important aspects when looking for quality LED's is the chip itself. The best ones are made by Osram, Philips and CREE. Most of the cheaper ones are clones that may or may no hold up.

The other thing to consider is the heat sink the bulbs use. Personally, I went with the copper cloth ones. I can't see the fan style ones holding up long term in our climate.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new lights, they should be a good upgrade.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 AM

Stay away from cheap ebay crap....If you want good lighting spend the money and do it right. Look up a company from Saskatoon called Ess K Customs. You can get a complete retrofit kit from him with everything you need for a proper install. They have top shelf customer service as well. I run Morimoto HID's in my projector headlights and Morimoto sealed led projectors for fogs.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 PM

Philips all the way. I'd stay away from LED for highbeams as they are bright but don't put out anyyhing for distance.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:45 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Lots of aftermarket options available. Just Google the make and model of your truck and either hid or led or after market headlights and you will be provided with a wealth of information. Whatever you do please get them adjusted properly.
Yes you totally should keep them up to date since its always a matter of life and death.Drive safe people